• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Lily pond design

Slate Bottom is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lily pond design

I am planning 2 ponds, one for koi and one for lilies. I envision a common water system. Can anyone point me towards design info such as turnover rate, filtration considerations, design considerations, etc?

Paul Sabucchi is online now Senior Member
      is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

Can you give us some basic info, mainly how much room you want to dedicate to these ponds (the koi one minimum 12'x9'x5'deep), the room available for filtration and if you have any preferences to as in-ground or partially above ground, underlay+liner or blocks+waterproofing

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My current plan is a koi pond 8' x 20' x 5', 2' above ground, constructed of concrete block with underlayment and liner, vertical walls, all filtration equipment behind pond (no space restrictions). The lily pond will be 4' x 10' x 2', elevation TBD, same construction, sharing water/filtration with koi pond. No overhead trees, but tall trees that will limit sun to about 6 hours. Bottom drain(s), surface skimmer(s), UV, no rocks or gravel, filter type TBD. Thanks for your help. I am finding lots of good info on the koi pond, but need help on design considerations for the lily pond.

is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

Any reason the filtration has to be shared?I would think that a plant only pond and particularly lillies would require very little biological filtration and very little current while the koi pond needs the opposite. I am sure there are more experienced water gardners who can wade in and advise

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
      Any reason the filtration has to be shared?I would think that a plant only pond and particularly lillies would require very little biological filtration and very little current while the koi pond needs the opposite. I am sure there are more experienced water gardners who can wade in and advise
      No reason the two ponds need to be connected at all. I thought it might make maintenance easier and perhaps the lilies would benefit from any nitrates from the koi pond.

is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

I think lillies are happier getting their nutrients from the substrate through their roots rather than from the water. No intention of teaching you how to suck eggs but for hardy lillies plant in a shallow wide container (cat litter tray) filled with a mix of organic compost and grit (and slow release plant feed), rhyzome going lengthways. If I am wrong please correct me

cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I like the idea to have your system include the lily pond.

I would even suggest looking to making your lily pond double as a Anoxic Filter.

Here is the link for reading. http://www.mankysanke.co.uk/html/anoxic_filtration.html

Very inexpensive to do, and you could even plant your lilies in a few baskets if you wanted to.

Why have a lily pond that could be a great source of addition filtration not be used to its full potential?

Good luck!

Google images, and youtube a great source of ideas that might help you with design.

is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

Quote Originally Posted by cottagefog View Post
      I like the idea to have your system include the lily pond.

I would even suggest looking to making your lily pond double as a Anoxic Filter.

Here is the link for reading. http://www.mankysanke.co.uk/html/anoxic_filtration.html

Very inexpensive to do, and you could even plant your lilies in a few baskets if you wanted to.

Why have a lily pond that could be a great source of addition filtration not be used to its full potential?

Good luck!

Google images, and youtube a great source of ideas that might help you with design.
      Lillies tend to be happier when they have one or more feet of water between the rhyzome and the leaves on the surface, not your typical setup for anoxic baskets, but again I may be proven wrong, it may well be doable with a bit of ingenuity, heck if so I might even swap some of mine to BCBs
      Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 12-31-2021 at 11:42 AM.

cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My lilies appear to be happy each summer, but I guess it is a conversation I need to have with them in 2022.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for your comments. I am studying the information on anoxic filters - it does seem like a natural fit to my concept.

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

2 foot will make the pond shallow. You will not fill the pond to the top. 4 inch gap at top plus 6 to 8 inch pot height plus 18 to 24 inches over pots gives 28 to 36 inch pond walls. This is for maximizing as a lily display and volume moderates temperatures. You can place something under the pots to raise for plants that like shallow planting.

If a display is the priority and wish to keep costs down keep separate, no filtration and no bottom drain. Provide a small amount of aeration or a small fountain if desired and a few small fish for insect control. Instead of a bottom drain design a depression in the bottom for placing a sump pump for yearly clean outs.
      Last edited by batman; 01-01-2022 at 10:26 AM.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

One Poet's Garden is offline Senior Member
      is Digging. And then digging some
      more!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Slate Bottom View Post
      Thank you for your comments. I am studying the information on anoxic filters - it does seem like a natural fit to my concept.
      Here's an idea. Get some 10 gallon grow bags, like these: https://www.amazon.com/T4U-Nonwoven-...dp/B08QRH8QG5/

Put a couple inches of kitty litter in the bottom. Then do the whole ironite/laterite in panty hose thing. Don't skimp on the ironite. Several more inches of kitty litter, then plant your hardy lilly. You want two feet of water above the pot, so the pond should be three to four feet deep. I used to garden in Nashville. Believe me, you want that pond deeper than two feet. Not just for winter, but to even out wild temperature swings in Spring and Fall. Nashville weather used to drive me nuts!

Put your filter between the koi pond and the lily pond. Add some floating plants and maybe some goldfish or rosy reds to the lily pond. You may end up with the best of both worlds.

Best,

Bill