• Tired

Thread: Rescued 5 sick Koi

Koi Rodgers is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Rescued 5 sick Koi

Hello Everyone,
      A friend of mine asked if I could take on 5 new koi from a home that just closed Escrow and the new owner didn't want them.

I just got them home and they are not well. I have them in a 20 gal QT tank with some FMG to start. I read the sticky on QT but there really isn't a protocol I can follow.

They do have some ulcers and some other stuff that I can't identify. Will try to upload some pics later.

Until then can someone please give me a set of instructions to start like, temp, salinity, medications,(I know this is based on the disease) but a good general protocol would be nice.

Thanks in advance. I want to give them a fighting chance

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Get the 20 gallons aerated with a pump and air stone
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

RichToyBox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

You haven't mentioned the size of the koi, but my guess is that the 20 gallon is way too small for them. Typically, for a quarantine tank, we would recommend for koi of more than 6 or 8 inches, a minimum of 50 to 100 gallons per koi. You need to have volume to control/dilute waste, and you need to get adequate filtration established as quickly as possible. If you don't have test kits, get the following drop type tests, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, high range pH, and KH. While the filters are getting established you will find that you have high ammonia which will burn gills and other sensitive skin, like it burns your nose. As the filter cycles, the ammonia will start to be converted to nitrites, which cause brown blood disease, which doesn't carry oxygen, so in effect, suffocation. In the end, the nitrites will be converted to nitrates, which are much less harmful, and the only way to control them is to do water changes. For high ammonia, a chloramine control like Safe, Cloram-X, or similar that will bind the ammonia into non-toxic ammonium. Seachem makes an Ammonia Alert Card that will let you know if the ammonia is toxic, so I recommend its use to determine when to dose more of the chloramine control. Once you have started getting nitrites, non-iodized salt at 0.12% or about 1 pound per 100 gallons will protect the fish from the nitrites.

The above is the needed info, equipment and information for keeping good water, which is needed for healthy fish. Now for treatments, you have stated that the fish have some ulcers, and for that my preferred treatment is Tricide Neo, used as a spray instead of the baths per directions. Mix per directions, but anaestatize the fish with clove oil or MS-222, and keep the fish wetted with a spray of the mix, much more economical. Some like to dump some of the powder out and using a Q-Tip, apply topically to the wounds. Rinse the fish before putting it back into the Q-Tank to keep from killing the filters, it is a strong antibiotic.

For parasites, you mention that you have them in FMG, and the general directions for that is generally three treatments (daily or every other day) with a 25% water change between doses. Do you have any signs or symptoms other than the ulcers. Are they flashing, breaching, isolating, or have other symptoms that would indicate parasites? If so, we can make recommendations that might be appropriate.

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hello Everyone,
      Thanks for the posting and helping.

Quick update. I found a 55-gallon tank. 2 of them are 10", the other 3 about 4-6".
      I have 2 HOT filters, an air stone, a heater, and a powerhead going. I have enough chems on-site to keep the ammonia down.

Name:  20211219_102216.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  46.5 KBName:  20211219_102233.jpg
Size:  41.4 KBName:  20211219_102240.jpg
Size:  25.1 KBName:  20211219_102302.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  43.2 KBName:  20211219_102407.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  44.8 KB

As you can see they have red streaks through their fins, the largest one tail is broken near the top but holding on. I know read streaks are a sign of high ammonia but it currently reads 0. I am using Ammo Lock from API.
      One of them has a big ulcer and the white one appears to have an injury on its side where it is bleeding?
      They are missing a lot of scales, and the one with an ulcer also has a red spot on its eye.

They are crowded but I am doing my best to keep them quiet and stress-free.

There is no FMG in the bigger tank.

I was wondering if what temp I should be shooting for? Currently 71*
      Should I forego the FMG and use salinity for the next couple of weeks and allow them to try and rebound on their own?
      I am currently at .1% salinity
      They ate this morning so that is a good sign.
      Would it hurt to feed them medicated food? I have Koi Fix from National Fish Pharm

Thanks in advance for all your help/guidance. I want these guys to live!!!
      Last edited by Koi Rodgers; 12-19-2021 at 04:01 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

As stated above the key is to get the tanks and filters through the cycle, so for now, I would refrain from feeding for a while to allow the large load in the tanks to cycle to nitrates, bringing both ammonia and nitrite to zero. Test, test and test. This is quite a load to put on the filters and it will take time for them to stabilize. Keeping ammonia at zero and nitrite at zero and pH stable is the most important thing for now. The red streaks are a sign of stress, netting, moving, probably temperature changes, among others. The temperature that you have them at is great. Salt is really only good for protecting them against nitrites, except where large ulcers are present to prevent water from entering the fish faster than the kidneys can remove it, in which case it takes significant levels.

From the pictures, I don't see any missing scales. The scaleless koi are called doitsu and are bred to have no scales but generally have a few random scales.

Allow the fish to rest for a couple of weeks and see if they are getting better, or getting worse and if worse then we should look at treatments, but right now, the most important thing is rest to get rid of some of the stress.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      As stated above the key is to get the tanks and filters through the cycle, so for now, I would refrain from feeding for a while to allow the large load in the tanks to cycle to nitrates, bringing both ammonia and nitrite to zero. Test, test and test. This is quite a load to put on the filters and it will take time for them to stabilize. Keeping ammonia at zero and nitrite at zero and pH stable is the most important thing for now. The red streaks are a sign of stress, netting, moving, probably temperature changes, among others. The temperature that you have them at is great. Salt is really only good for protecting them against nitrites, except where large ulcers are present to prevent water from entering the fish faster than the kidneys can remove it, in which case it takes significant levels.

From the pictures, I don't see any missing scales. The scaleless koi are called doitsu and are bred to have no scales but generally have a few random scales.

Allow the fish to rest for a couple of weeks and see if they are getting better, or getting worse and if worse then we should look at treatments, but right now, the most important thing is rest to get rid of some of the stress.
      Thank you for your help. They made through the night. I will refrain from feeding until the cycle is established.

The reason I said missing scales is there were some on the bottom of the tank. Keeping the ammonia locked up.

Appreciate all the help

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is feeling pity for trolls

Feeling:
      Amused

As Rich said earlier, while your tank works on cycling, I'd order and have this on hand:

https://www.cascade-pond-supply.com/...eo-p-1368.html
      --Steve
      ..WWKC Treasurer

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

1 week Update.
      They are all doing well. The filter has cycled, getting some nitrates. Doing 30% water changes daily. Started feeding, they are eating well.
      Thanks for the help and the responses.
      Overall they look better.
      Merry Christmas

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Merry Christmas. Sometimes the best medicine is patience.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      Merry Christmas. Sometimes the best medicine is patience.
      Name:  20211226_075550.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  25.9 KBName:  20211226_075400.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  29.2 KB

Can anyone ID what this is on the tail? It is along a break so I am thinking scar tissue?
      Last edited by Koi Rodgers; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:21 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I believe you are right about that being scar tissue and not requiring any treatment. I would pay attention to the brighter red area behind thee break, as it does look like it might be infection, but it could easily correct itself, so keep an eye on it.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hello Everyone,
      Going on the 4th week of QT and one of the guys is developing something. Please see pics. Name:  20220111_074733.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  70.4 KBName:  20220111_074730.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  55.1 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I don't know what I am supposed to be looking at. Can you describe what you think is showing up.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard