• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 14 of 14

    Thread: Please sex this koi for me

    1. #1
      anguyen's Avatar
      anguyen is offline Member
      is midorikoi
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      Orange County California
      Posts
      84

      Please sex this koi for me

      Kodama listed as a female, but body and eating habit do not comply with normal female koi. Please sex it for me. I squeezed anal, but not sperm
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Last edited by anguyen; 12-06-2021 at 10:59 PM.

    2. #2
      coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Durban South Africa
      Posts
      2,918
      Female
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

    3. #3
      anguyen's Avatar
      anguyen is offline Member
      is midorikoi
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      Orange County California
      Posts
      84
      Thanks. I just want to make sure it is a female for next spring home breeding. This koi is backup female of my #1 female produce no eggs.
      Last edited by anguyen; 12-07-2021 at 01:43 PM.

    4. #4
      Orlando is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Orlando
      Posts
      1,231
      You mentioned you have a female that didn't produce eggs, has this particular koi ever produced eggs in past spawnings the reason I ask that is because in the last 15 yrs or so many breeders have been working towards producing male koi with female bodies and some of them have gotten the recepie quite correct. Having said that if you could get a better picture of the front leading ray on both pectoral fins of the koi you have inquired about it's sex I think it would help because on the bottom picture you provided I see no indication on the kois body of it being a female and notice I said (body) not the anal/vent area, the top view picture for me also confirms what I just mentioned about the body.

    5. #5
      anguyen's Avatar
      anguyen is offline Member
      is midorikoi
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      Orange County California
      Posts
      84
      Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      You mentioned you have a female that didn't produce eggs, has this particular koi ever produced eggs in past spawnings the reason I ask that is because in the last 15 yrs or so many breeders have been working towards producing male koi with female bodies and some of them have gotten the recepie quite correct. Having said that if you could get a better picture of the front leading ray on both pectoral fins of the koi you have inquired about it's sex I think it would help because on the bottom picture you provided I see no indication on the kois body of it being a female and notice I said (body) not the anal/vent area, the top view picture for me also confirms what I just mentioned about the body.
      No, I bought this female late last year. It was born in 2018. 2022 is my first spawning try. Kodama koi farm listed as a female from Dainichi. I bought it because I like its strong and sharp beni, and it was from Dainichi. It had thin body when I received it. I thought Kodama sexed it wrong. Its eating habit was not helping to sex either. It has the same eating habit of male koi, come up and eat and go down. Its body got bigger as I fed a lot of food in this summer.

    6. #6
      coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Durban South Africa
      Posts
      2,918
      Run your finger along the leading edges of the pectorals.

      What do you feel?
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

    7. #7
      anguyen's Avatar
      anguyen is offline Member
      is midorikoi
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      Orange County California
      Posts
      84
      Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      Run your finger along the leading edges of the pectorals.

      What do you feel?
      No roughness when I ran finger across pectoral fins and cheek. I thought now it is not spawning season yet, so that's why i feel no roughness. If not, it is really female. It happened last year spawning. I had a female koi with very good body, but had no eggs when I separated it for spawning.

    8. #8
      Orlando is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Orlando
      Posts
      1,231
      That's why I asked for a better picture of the pectoral leading ray on both pectoral fins, male koi that are being bred to resemble female koi hold the attributes of a female koi, that also explains what I've read in a few articles that their fertility rate is lower, thanks in advance
      Last edited by Orlando; 12-09-2021 at 11:38 PM.

    9. #9
      coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Durban South Africa
      Posts
      2,918
      What are we actually trying to prove here?
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

    10. #10
      coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Durban South Africa
      Posts
      2,918
      Quote Originally Posted by anguyen View Post
      Kodama listed as a female, but body and eating habit do not comply with normal female koi. Please sex it for me. I squeezed anal, but not sperm
      does that look male?


      does that look male?
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

    11. #11
      Orlando is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Orlando
      Posts
      1,231
      Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      What are we actually trying to prove here?
      Well since you included yourself, I can't speak on your behalf but am trying to answer a question correctly

    12. #12
      coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Durban South Africa
      Posts
      2,918
      #2

      Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      Female
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

    13. #13
      lukef's Avatar
      lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      florida
      Posts
      4,306
      I'll sex it for you..."Hey, you big voluptuous young lady, come on over to this little shallow area where the water's a little warmer and there some cattails that have recently fallen into the water. mm hmm, go ahead, I'll nudge you up against them, yeah...like this? I love that softness to your belly, let me bump it. Come here, don't swim off...let's go all up in those cattails and splash like no tomorrow.... you'll love it. If you want I can invite my buddy to join us? feelin' frisky now? Wait till you feel that warm water... the liner is all covered with long fuzzy algae too... uh huh...every fish loves some thick fuzzy algae.... well come on... "
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

    14. #14
      EmeraldDragon's Avatar
      EmeraldDragon is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Mar 2021
      Location
      Walnut, California
      Posts
      1,065
      Quote Originally Posted by lukef View Post
      I'll sex it for you..."Hey, you big voluptuous young lady, come on over to this little shallow area where the water's a little warmer and there some cattails that have recently fallen into the water. mm hmm, go ahead, I'll nudge you up against them, yeah...like this? I love that softness to your belly, let me bump it. Come here, don't swim off...let's go all up in those cattails and splash like no tomorrow.... you'll love it. If you want I can invite my buddy to join us? feelin' frisky now? Wait till you feel that warm water... the liner is all covered with long fuzzy algae too... uh huh...every fish loves some thick fuzzy algae.... well come on... "
      Sorry I couldn't help it.
      -=[Sunny]=-

      I have served, I have fought to defends the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •