• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Salinity and BSDT treatment help?

Nicoslam is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Salinity and BSDT treatment help?

Iím in Texas and my water is current 68. Noticed a 3/20 fish occasionally flashing with a few water breaches. Also noticed all slowed down on eating about a month ago when we had a cold snap at 40. Thinking it was water temp and season, I salted my pond to 0.3%. Didnít see an improvement. Two weeks ago I noticed one koi that had redness on the side so I pulled him out scraped him and found 3 body and 1 gill fluke. I did two treatments of prazi 6 days apart. Second prazi treatment was done yesterday. I think I messed up by adding salt before confirming if I had a parasite problem. I decided to perform a 2/3 water change to bring down my salinity so I can do BSDT. I have salt down to 0.15% now. Havenít confirmed if I have costia etc but better safe then sorry but Iím concerned about the current salt concentration. Question: can I do a BSDT with a salinity of 0.15% or do I really have to have 0.0% salinity to do this parasite treatment??

6k pond
      Rdf bio combi 30 with shower
      Ammonia, nitrite 0
      KH- 12dkh

I also want to make sure Iím not over reacting. Thanks for any advice.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is feeling pity for trolls

Feeling:
      Amused

The instructions on my bottle of BSDT (by Ecological Labs) says it can be used in ponds with salt levels of .15%, but
      no more. I think you should be fine. Be sure the UV is off too.
      --Steve
      ..WWKC Treasurer

KingstonKoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Good work confirming that you have flukes. In the event the prazi treatment doesnít work, there are two potential issues. The first is that if the estimate of your size the pond is off, especially if you have under estimated, you may be under treating and the dosage may not be effective. (Donít ask me how I know .) The other is that several members have found that Prazi has become less effective against flukes over time. Many found switching to a product called Fluke-M worked much better. And in either case, know that it can take at least two weeks (or longer in cold water temps) for the fish to stop flashing and rubbing as it takes time for the damage from the flukes to heal. Good luck and keep us posted on the results.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KingstonKoi View Post
      Good work confirming that you have flukes. In the event the prazi treatment doesnít work, there are two potential issues. The first is that if the estimate of your size the pond is off, especially if you have under estimated, you may be under treating and the dosage may not be effective. (Donít ask me how I know .) The other is that several members have found that Prazi has become less effective against flukes over time. Many found switching to a product called Fluke-M worked much better. And in either case, know that it can take at least two weeks (or longer in cold water temps) for the fish to stop flashing and rubbing as it takes time for the damage from the flukes to heal. Good luck and keep us posted on the results.
      Thank you for your feedback. Iím confident on my volume because itís an easy shape. I went ahead and did my first treatment of terminate RX. Two more to follow.Name:  B12E2659-6FDB-4838-A3B2-75DBC75A4372.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  290.3 KB

RichToyBox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The picture looks like you are treating with Potassium Permanganate, due to the purple color. Terminate should give a green color rather than the purple. Just commenting.

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      The picture looks like you are treating with Potassium Permanganate, due to the purple color. Terminate should give a green color rather than the purple. Just commenting.
      Thatís correct but thatís the only pic I had on hand to show size. I do PP treatments for organic cleanups. 2.5ppm. Sorry for any confusion