• Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi not eating, im stumped

Rich8888ri is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oakdale new york (Suffolk County long Island)

Koi not eating, im stumped

I have 14k in a 3k gallon pond with plenty of filtration and air (rdf, shower ect..). Water parameters are all normal no amonia or nitrite, ph stable and kh around 12 drops ( i always keep it high).

All fish acting normally except for 1 koi. He is swimming with the group (not off on his own) but will not eat for the past 2 to 3 weeks. No flashing or sign of stress from him or anyone else.

Pulled him out and did a body check. No issues with body, gills are clean and pink, and mouth is clear.

I did a treatment anyway for parasites (bsd) and added a fluke treatment after the 3rd day (fluke m). Waited a week and still not eating. Took him out and did a scrape on the sides, belly, and gills don't see anything.

I'm officially stumped on what it can be and what to do next.

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My vote is continue to monitor but do nothing.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      ~ 2021 KPOTY
      is looking forward to the
      Holidays!

Feeling:
      Happy

Water temp?
      --Steve
      ..WWKC Treasurer

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Temp is 50.. Was 60 when he stopped eating 3 weeks ago.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Changes in weather will affect different koi differently. Probably just recognized it was time to settle in for the winter.

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

UnkleTim is offline Senior Member
      is most excellent

Feeling:
      ----

At 50 degrees my koi don’t come up for food.

KingstonKoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Now that my water is down to 50 (and may have dropped a degree or two more in the last week), most of my fish come up and swim together when I toss in a handful of food, but only a few of them actively eat. One pretends he’s a Hoover vacuum cleaner and cuts through the food moving everybody out of his way. And a few of the small ones seem to realize that it’s time to get the last bites before winter sets in, but the other half of them swim up look around and ignore the food. Turns out koi have individual personalities. You’ve already thoroughly checked for issues as well as done a preventative treatment for parasites going into winter. So perhaps he was just a head of the crowd settling in. Keep an eye him but continue to enjoy the pond as they become less active.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I will say it started when the water was at 60 and they were all still eating aggressive. Still they are eating now at 48/50 but not aggressive. I called a vet and he thinks it's an internal infection and would need antibiotics. With the water temp so low it wouldn't make sense to inject now.. So if he makes it through winter I can inject in the spring. We shall see.. Thanks everyone for the advice.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich8888ri View Post
      I will say it started when the water was at 60 and they were all still eating aggressive. Still they are eating now at 48/50 but not aggressive. I called a vet and he thinks it's an internal infection and would need antibiotics. With the water temp so low it wouldn't make sense to inject now.. So if he makes it through winter I can inject in the spring. We shall see.. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Why wouldn't it make sense.

It needs the nourishment to get through winter

Is it losing weight?

Surely now is the the time to give it a shot.

Catch it in the bud before it gets worse.

How long have you had it?
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm not a vet but the vet seemed to indicate that the shut down of the body due to winter would not make this a good time for injection.. I don't know if that's true or not, but one thing is for sure, we wouldn't know if it worked till next year as im about to stop feeding.

The koi is 16 inches so i would say 2 to 3yr old at max.

UnkleTim is offline Senior Member
      is most excellent

Feeling:
      ----

I’ve used this as a guide for the past 15 years, works out fine here.

Feeding Guide
      Back
      In addition to the peace and tranquility of Pond Keeping, spending time with your Koi can be equally rewarding.Koi are very sociable and love a crowd of friends. They are less apt to be shy when they are in a large group.

Your Koi will eat from your hand, provided you have the patience to earn their trust and friendship. Here are a few helpful hints:

Feed them in the same place every time.
      Drop a small handful of pellets and stay there to observe.
      The bravest or hungriest will start to eat and the rest will follow.
      They must see you when they eat.
      Don't walk away from the pond before they start to eat.
      Withhold food for a day if they won't eat in front of you.
      Gradually, the Koi will equate you with food. This usually takes about 3 to 5 days.Tease them closer with small sprinklings of food. Put your hands in the water while they eat.The Koi will learn that food comes from your hand. Start with just a few pellets.

The bravest Koi will soon be nudging your hand. It is only a matter of time and all of your fish will swimming,jumping and splashing toward you every time you walk by the pond.

Taming and training your Koi is a gradual process, but it can be very rewarding. Spending this time with your Koi willalso allow you to observe any problems early on.

Many Koi owners do not realize the importance of feeding. Not only must consideration be given to the amount andtime of feeding, but to the combinations of foods that are essential for healthy and colorful Koi.

Water Temp. (F.) Feeding Frequency Food Type
      Less than 50F. Do not feed Koi. Temperatures at 50 F. of more than one month may require supplemental feedings of low protein and high carbohydrates.
      50-55F 2-3 times a week if Koi are hungry. High carbohydrate, low protein, laxative type foods.Wheat germ, Cheerios, squash, lettuce and brown bread.
      55-59F 4-5 times per week if Koi are hungry. Add low protein (25%) pellets along with vegetables. Increase quantities gradually as temperature increases.
      59F Once per day six days per week. Low protein (25%) pellets along with high carbohydrate vegetables and fruit.
      60-65F Once per day every day. Gradually increase protein in pellets (35%) and quantity of pellets. Vary diet with vegetables and fruit.
      65-72F Once or twice per day. Bulk of diet should be 35% protein pellets. Add fruits, vegetables, and plankton for variety.
      72-80F 3 to 4 times per day. High protein pellets (35% to 40%) with color enhancers. Add plankton, vegetables, fruits, and shrimp.
      Champion Nishikigoi