• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: How do you properly overwinter pond Elephant Ears?

AndrewR is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How do you properly overwinter pond Elephant Ears?

We have giant elephant ears that we grew this year in our pond and aren’t sure how to properly get them ready for winter. I can’t remember the exact species, but I believe they are the black magic pond variety. We live in the northern piedmont of NC, zone 7, and just had our first frost this week. We have some regular elephant ears that we grow outside of our pond that we cut back to the dirt after the first frost and put in the greenhouse for the winter. Our pond elephant ears are a bit different as they are totally submerged which leads to my question: how do we overwinter them in the pond? Do we cut them down to the dirt and let them go dormant over winter or do we need to remove them from the water completely? We also have some pond plants that we cut and move to the deep water, but we are totally unsure since we’ve not grown them before. Thank you for any help you can offer!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

What is your growing zone. Most can be cut down and mulched heavily
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

Tight group is offline Junior Member
      is Happy

Feeling:
      Awesome

Andrew said his zone is 7. I'm in the foothills of SC in zone 8 and have similar questions about Hybiscuts and mini cattails that I had in my smaller pond. When I built my larger pond, I put my plants in a holding container about 6" deep along with some lilies that I acquired. We haven't gotten frost yet but soon. Not sure what to do about my plants for the winter.

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
      We have giant elephant ears that we grew this year in our pond and aren’t sure how to properly get them ready for winter. I can’t remember the exact species, but I believe they are the black magic pond variety. We live in the northern piedmont of NC, zone 7, and just had our first frost this week. We have some regular elephant ears that we grow outside of our pond that we cut back to the dirt after the first frost and put in the greenhouse for the winter. Our pond elephant ears are a bit different as they are totally submerged which leads to my question: how do we overwinter them in the pond? Do we cut them down to the dirt and let them go dormant over winter or do we need to remove them from the water completely? We also have some pond plants that we cut and move to the deep water, but we are totally unsure since we’ve not grown them before. Thank you for any help you can offer!
      Hello. I am in zone 7b in NC. I still have not had a killing frost yet. Should be soon. I have Black Magic Taro growing in just water in my stream. I set rocks on their roots to keep them in place. I have tried leaving them in the ground but they have never came back for me. The ones that I grow in pots around my yard, I put in my garage for the winter. I bring them out on pretty days off & on all winter. The ones in my stream I throw away.

It sounds like yours are potted in dirt and placed in your pond. I think you should remove them and place them in your greenhouse.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Tight group View Post
      Andrew said his zone is 7. I'm in the foothills of SC in zone 8 and have similar questions about Hybiscuts and mini cattails that I had in my smaller pond. When I built my larger pond, I put my plants in a holding container about 6" deep along with some lilies that I acquired. We haven't gotten frost yet but soon. Not sure what to do about my plants for the winter.
      I am not sure about your Hibiscus, but I think your cattails will be fine in your pond. I would let the water lilies go to the bottom to over winter.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

Paulzie67 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

When I lived in New York (Zone 6), I waited until after the first frost killed the leaves, cut them or pulled them off (usually they were like mush). Then I dug the bulbs up, removed any smaller bulbs, Left them in the garage a few days to dry completely (longer if needed). Then I wrapped them in News paper and placed them in a brown paper bag until spring. After Last frost (usually after Mothers day) I replanted them.
      "I read a book about Stockholm Syndrome.
      At first I hated it, but by the end I loved it."
      "If not for mans ability to Mimic, most humans would probably still be living in caves, grunting at each other."

One Poet's Garden is offline Senior Member
      is Digging. And then digging some
      more!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Paulzie67 View Post
      I waited until after the first frost killed the leaves, cut them or pulled them off (usually they were like mush). Then I dug the bulbs up, Left them in the garage a few days to dry completely (longer if needed). Then I wrapped them in News paper and placed them in a brown paper bag until spring.
      This is the answer. Or, once they're dry, you could put the bulbs in a big pot of coir, and store the pot under you greenhouse benches. Worked for me last year. In very early spring, plant the bulbs in a pond-appropriate pot full of kitty litter, keep them in the greenhouse until they break dormancy, and then put them back in the pond.

Good luck!

Paulzie67 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by One Poet's Garden View Post
      plant the bulbs in a pond-appropriate pot full of kitty litter,
      Probably not Clumping or the light weight type though, Right?
      "I read a book about Stockholm Syndrome.
      At first I hated it, but by the end I loved it."
      "If not for mans ability to Mimic, most humans would probably still be living in caves, grunting at each other."

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

most of my colocasia will winter over here in the ground I am in 7a in oklhoma. Some of my Alocasia will winter over too. I imagine once you cut the Hibiscus down it will be fine they grow and thrive here also in the ground and marshy areas.
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007