• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Recommended fluke treatment?

Wook262000 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Recommended fluke treatment?

So as a gift, my wife gave me a microscope. We have 2 small koi in a 75 gallon aquarium that we are going to winter inside. We also have a 1000 gallon and a 10k gallon pond outside. Excited about the scope, I took scrapes from the koi in the aquarium just to practice and play with the microscope. Found nothing samples were clean. Decided to scrape a koi from the smaller pond just for fun. This time I found flukes, which surprised me because fish weren’t showing any symptoms. Anyway, I’m glad I found them before they get any worse. Question is, which treatment do you recommend, praziquantel or flukeM? Which is more effective and are there any precautions or anything I should know? My water temps are between 50-55 degrees Fahrenheit so I assume I need a second dose about a week after the first? Thanks for all your advice!!

Name:  64B90585-3094-493E-BE34-C0B9A0D9FB7E.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  27.0 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Flukes are hard to eliminate completely but the fish if not under stress with good water can tolerate
      some and have little reaction to them. But add stress or deteriorating conditions of the water and it can
      suddenly enable them to cause problems.
      I've used both and found Fluke-M to work better for me. The life cycle of a fluke will be longer in colder
      water. Gill flukes lay eggs as opposed to skin flukes giving live birth to young. Neither Prazi or Fluke-M
      will kill gill fluke eggs so after the first treatment you want to wait long enough to let the eggs hatch,
      without waiting too long giving those young to reach adulthood and be able to lay eggs again. The cycle
      lasts about 4-10 days depending on the water temp, so waiting about 7 days should be about right to get most
      of them without letting them reproduce. Be sure to turn off your UV as it will deactivate the Flubendazole.

More info:

https://www.pond-life.me.uk/fishheal...zNAiWjcnBszQY9
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

KingstonKoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Totally agree with Steve. I have had no luck with the liquid Prazi-Pro product, but great success with Fluke-M. Note that your fish may flash for up to 2 to 3 weeks after you administer either product. First the flukes irritate the fish as they die and drop off. And if they leave any broken skin, it will itch as it heals and that also irritates them. So don’t be surprised to see them flash for up to two weeks, and possibly a little longer and cold water as it takes more time to heal, even if they had not shown signs and flashed before.
      Last edited by KingstonKoi; 11-01-2021 at 10:43 PM.

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I suppose Fluke-M is an antibiotic, right? Then it will eventually lose efficiency if used repeatedly.

So for frequent treatment I would use Roddy´s protocol with PP and F-MG.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
      I suppose Fluke-M is an antibiotic, right? Then it will eventually lose efficiency if used repeatedly.

So for frequent treatment I would use Roddy´s protocol with PP and F-MG.
      From what I've read, no, it's not an antibiotic. It is an antihelminthics/antiparasitic. It states in the instructions that it is harmless to your biological
      filters and when I've used it I have found that to be true. So it has no effect on bacteria.

http://inkmkr.com/Fish/FlubendazoleTreatment.pdf

Commercial F-MG products like Proform-C and Broad Spectrum Disease Treatment instructions list the parasites/diseases that
      they effectively treat and flukes are not one of them (Listed are "Ich, Costia, Trichodina, Chilodonella, Oodinium, and fungal infections").

Last edited by icu2; 10-31-2021 at 10:28 AM. Reason: corrected definition
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      From what I've read, no, it's not an antibiotic. It is an antiparasitic. It states in the instructions that it is harmless to your biological
      filters and when I've used it I have found that to be true. So it has no effect on bacteria.

http://inkmkr.com/Fish/FlubendazoleTreatment.pdf

Commercial F-MG products like Proform-C and Broad Spectrum Disease Treatment instructions list the parasites/diseases that
      they effectively treat and flukes are not one of them (Listed are "Ich, Costia, Trichodina, Chilodonella, Oodinium, and fungal infections").

Hi Steve:

You are probably right about that Fluke-M is not an antibiotics. But since Fluke-M attacks a specific function of fluke cells, fluke can develop resistance.

On the other hand, PP, formaldehyde and malachite green attack cells generally, therefore no resistance can develop. Therefore can be repeatedly used.

Yes PP and F-MG can kill flukes. Normally F-MG will not kill flukes because the dirty pond water quickly inactivates formaldehyde. But if you do Roddy´s protocol using PP to clean up the water first flukes will be killed by F-MG.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the replies. I am going to order the Fluck M today. This is only my second year with koi fish, and I am not too familiar and don't think I feel comfortable using PP just yet. By the way, I took some scrapes from the fish in my large pond and they were clean, so at least I am only dealing with flukes in my smaller pond which will be cheaper to treat lol.

fly4koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just remember to do 2 treatment to catch the new hatchlings.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Will do. Thanks!!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007