• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issue with Periha Pump!

kevins2ooo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Issue with Periha Pump!

Hello all,

Yesterday my Periha PB 18000 pump started acting up, it would turn off by itself. I would reconnect the plug and it would run just fine, for a while. I did that several times yesterday.

However, today it did it again. Only this time it would turn on for a few seconds and then off. I suspect something to do with overheating...But not sure.

Has anyone experienced this with their Periha?

Thanks,
      Kevin

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Update: Called Cascade Pond Supply, checked the code it's F5. Opened up the impeller and it spins quite freely.

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevins2ooo View Post
      Update: Called Cascade Pond Supply, checked the code it's F5. Opened up the impeller and it spins quite freely.
      Ok one step out of the way but how are the intakes that lead to the impellers. If no restrictions are found look into replacing the capacitor.
      Last edited by Orlando; 10-27-2021 at 08:04 PM.

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Periha pumps are energy saving and lower cost. They are also lower life and a throw away pump. Do the obvious by taking apart and cleaning. Check for restrictions in and out. Check incoming voltage . If it's the electronics or sealed windings then it's junk.
      Last edited by batman; 10-28-2021 at 12:17 PM.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Feel the casing temperature.

Probably fitted with a klixon embedded between the windings to cycle it off, if the windings overheat.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Pumps like these require internal cleaning to get long life out of the pump. For bearings the pump uses bushings that are exposed to pond water. Cleaning how often will be determined by internal mineral and debris build up from pond water. Water with low mineral content the buildup will be slow but will eventually happen.

Here is a cleaning video for a different manufacturer but similar pump.

https://youtu.be/FV6yB2LQBo4

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

In the video beginning it is mentioned (out of sequence) to soak the dissembled pump assembly in CLR. They should have kept everything in sequence. I use the IronOut product and a toothbrush to clean.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks guys. So it ran for a couple of days and quit again. Now showing F3. I cleaned the impeller again, now soaking it in hydrogen peroxide for 5 hours. No luck.

The design of my bottom drain is a PVC pipe with holes. Initially Tom and I thought it was the pipe not having enough holes creating an immense workload for the pump, causing the pump to overheat. Then after a while Tom said it was the controller that was overheating. To address that, I drilled more holes into my PVC pipe bottom drain. What doesn't make sense to me is, the pump did not overheat, nor did the controller, in California's 110 degree summer and it does now in mid-60's fall weather?

My thought is, the job of the controller is to tell the user what the pump is doing and allowing the user to control the pump speed. I don't understand how, if the pump was indeed overloaded, would cause the controller to overheat. Logically speaking, the pump was overheating and the only thing the controller would do is to tell me the pump is overheating, F5, and not the controller burning out itself.

So to test the logic, I swapped with my parents' PB-18000 controller, and it worked, for as long as I plugged it in. I then swapped back my PB-20000 controller, it would run 10 seconds or so and spit out F3 (previously F5). So I know it's the controller. However, I doubt the design of my PVC pipe would cause a problem for the controller, if anything it should have been the pump itself.

Thoughts? I think I got a lemon controller.
      Last edited by kevins2ooo; 10-31-2021 at 10:27 AM.

coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Mix it with your favorite drink.

The less water a pump, pumps the less work the lower the amps the cooler it runs.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

After disassembly you have to soak the entire assembly including the sealed windings and clean. Clean impeller/rotor assembly and the cavity it sits in. Make sure the cavity and the bushing the impeller/rotor sits in are clean.

This is a wet rotor design. A small amount of water circulates internally cooling and lubricating the rotor and bearing (bushing).

Properly clean the entire unit and try again with the original controller.

Like I said previously this is a lower life throw away pump. Don't get over optimistic on durability and long life.

Name:  SmartSelect_20211031-134408_Squid.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  299.7 KB
      Last edited by batman; 11-01-2021 at 05:37 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Update: shipped the controller to Tom Tran and waited 2 months (with multiple self-initiated follow ups) to get the result back. He said the controller was wet and could not be fixed, after initially stating the design of my bottom drain was the issue etc. Either I pay another $10 to have it shipped back or buy a new one.

Weird, must have been a lemon. My parents' controller is out in the open all day all seasons. Mine had a cover to prevent getting soaked. Oh well, lesson learned. Don't go cheap on pumps.

NaturalK is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevins2ooo View Post
      Update: shipped the controller to Tom Tran and waited 2 months (with multiple self-initiated follow ups) to get the result back. He said the controller was wet and could not be fixed, after initially stating the design of my bottom drain was the issue etc. Either I pay another $10 to have it shipped back or buy a new one.

Weird, must have been a lemon. My parents' controller is out in the open all day all seasons. Mine had a cover to prevent getting soaked. Oh well, lesson learned. Don't go cheap on pumps.
      Yea that doesnt make sense since people leave those things outside all the time. I think he just gave up/never tried on it. He's having 50% off for periha so that's probably another motive. He get them from manufacturer for fraction the cost so why spend time fixing.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Many also leave air pumps and conventional pond pumps out exposed to the weather. Often early death from moisture issues.

If actually a moisture issue review your cover and see if it can be improved.

These appear to be experiencing a high number of failures. Moisture or design/quality issues???????
      Last edited by batman; 01-12-2022 at 01:47 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, pond pump and with the controller being part of the deal you'd think water resistant if not water proof be one of the requirements.

I had part of the EPDM pond liner hovering above it (not touching, and controller failed in October. Did not fail in 110 degree California summer). The controller is hidden inside one of the cider blocks. I don't know anymore. I only know my money isn't going in his pocket again.
      Last edited by kevins2ooo; 01-12-2022 at 02:36 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Energy efficient throw away pumps. Cascade is now selling the PB-25000 for $129.99. Not worth the $250 many are selling it at.

Periha started with a 2 year warranty. Now dealers list only 1 year. Periha selling on Amazon list no warranty info.

When picking a pump one needs to factor in energy savings vs low life and inconvenience.

Name:  SmartSelect_20220113-013214_Chrome.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  54.3 KB
      Last edited by batman; 01-13-2022 at 01:43 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
      Energy efficient throw away pumps. Cascade is now selling the PB-25000 for $129.99. Not worth the $250 many are selling it at.

Periha started with a 2 year warranty. Now dealers list only 1 year. Periha selling on Amazon list no warranty info.

When picking a pump one needs to factor in energy savings vs low life and inconvenience.

Name:  SmartSelect_20220113-013214_Chrome.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  54.3 KB

Thanks. Didn't know they would replace it. But according to Tom Tran it doesn't apply to my case (I made a post on Koi Keepers of North America on Facebook, so it was public and his decision seemed firm). I hope he recycled that trash for me and in doing so, something that is beneficial to the humankind.
      Last edited by kevins2ooo; 01-13-2022 at 10:41 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Personally I think they are a decent energy saving pump. You'll probably buy 3-5 of them vs 1 quality external pump to get the same life. Only the very expensive external pumps match energy efficiency. With the lower price they are at nów they are a good value.

In the instructions they need to include the requirement to keep the pump and controller out of direct sun and the controller dry. They also need to include the correct take apart cleaning instructions and the need for periodic cleaning for long life.

Primitive is offline Senior Member
      is House remodeling

Feeling:
      Geeky

I was at Seaside Aquatics and Tom basically tells me after 1yr it's just as cheap to replace it. However, he also claimed that he has some lasting for 8 years. Bullshiet, lmao. I wonder if running them submerged helps at all.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Primitive View Post
      I was at Seaside Aquatics and Tom basically tells me after 1yr it's just as cheap to replace it. However, he also claimed that he has some lasting for 8 years. Bullshiet, lmao. I wonder if running them submerged helps at all.
      I ran mine submerged. Did not help at all.

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Sometimes the classic tried and true is the best way to go. Ran the same Artesian pump for 8-9 years without a single issue or failure. My only servicing on it was spraying down the prime pot and basket twice a year. Cost a little more upfront and running, but over a longer period of time you will end up saving a lot more money not replacing a pump every 1-2 years. Sold that pump when I closed the pond and it still works great for the new owner. If I start back up, I will probably purchase the same exact model again. I want a reliable product.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast