• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Salt crystals in sieve compartment ok?

KoiFan84 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Salt crystals in sieve compartment ok?

Iím treating with pool salt (no additives). Itís taking forever to melt. Is there any harm in just dumping the half melted crystals down into the front sieve compartment? I started out with 55 pounds of it before melting began. Thanks.

KingstonKoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Salt dissolves (not melts). It would be better to break it into smaller batches. Dump some in a large bucket of water, swirl it around to get it to dissolve first, and then add to the pond or the sieve. When dumped in as an undissolved lump, it may take several days to dissolve. (Don’t ask how I know.) And that will affect the accuracy of a salinity meter reading until it is fully deployed throughout the pond.

rayjay is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No, No

Assuming your bio filter is after sieve, the large amount of dissolved salt will KILL you bio.... been there, done that!
      ....."Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.".....Mark Twain

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I even filled the large bucket with almost boiling water at first which didn’t do much. Ive swirled it with my hand multiple times. I did some research and it said that salt doesn’t kill your bio unless you’re going up around .5…
      I think I’m going to get something to use as a pestle and crush it into very small pieces.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KoiFan84 View Post
      I even filled the large bucket with almost boiling water at first which didnít do much. Ive swirled it with my hand multiple times. I did some research and it said that salt doesnít kill your bio unless youíre going up around .5Ö
      I think Iím going to get something to use as a pestle and crush it into very small pieces.
      I used the term dissolved but should have used concentrated at that single point, think about it. I'm speaking from a past experience not something I read on the internet, besides what's the hurry
      ....."Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.".....Mark Twain

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Speaking from experience...I have put in as much as 300lbs. of salt all at once. It takes less than a day to dissolve and I have never had a set back in my biological function.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      Speaking from experience...I have put in as much as 300lbs. of salt all at once. It takes less than a day to dissolve and I have never had a set back in my biological function.
      Just trying to relate this response to the OP question... it's ok to put "as much as 300lbs of salt all at once" in a container (sieve) with a 3"4" outlet leading to the bio and not set back the biological function. In a pond ok, sieve bad advise.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
      Just trying to relate this response to the OP question... it's ok to put "as much as 300lbs of salt all at once" in a container (sieve) with a 3"4" outlet leading to the bio and not set back the biological function. In a pond ok, sieve bad advise.
      Yes, good point, I missed that.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      I didnít dump it directly into the pond, because I didnít want the recuperating koi to lay on top of the salt while it was still in crystal form.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      ~ 2021 KPOTY
      is looking forward to the
      Holidays!

Feeling:
      Happy

Do you have a waterfall basin of some type? If I have to add salt I put it there to take advantage of the moving water
      and quick dispersal of the salt in the pond.
      --Steve
      ..WWKC Treasurer

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No. It’s a formal spillway in a wall. I got all the salt in now, and the koi is getting better. Thanks.