• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Doitsu Sanke and Gin Rin Aka Bekko

Koikawa is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Otsuka Doitsu Sanke, Gin Rin Aka Bekko, Bekko, and Gin Rin Kage Ki Utsuri

Hoping to learn from the Koiphen experience again regarding these 4 koi from Otsuka. 8"-10", $300 each, no shipping cost. I've been eyeing these types but don't know enough to judge well at this point. I happen to like the following:
      • Doitsu sanke: pattern, 1 red eye, and fins
      • Gin rin aka bekko: the color of this red, balance and sumi, doesn't seem to have a lot of shimi
      • Bekko: broadness of head and shoulder, looks to be a snow white?
      • Gin rin kage ki utsuri: this is just pretty to me since I love yellow and black combinations!

Would you pass or buy? Gender unknown.

Name:  Doitsu sanke.png
Views: 129
Size:  191.4 KB
      Name:  Doitsu sanke2.png
Views: 126
Size:  143.0 KB
      Name:  Doitsu sanke3.png
Views: 124
Size:  151.4 KB
      Name:  Doitsu sanke4.png
Size:  197.8 KB

Name:  Gin rin aka bekko.png
Views: 122
Size:  136.9 KB
      Name:  Gin rin aka bekko2.png
Size:  163.4 KB

Name:  Bekko.png
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  Gin rin kage ki utsuri.png
Size:  117.5 KB
      Name:  Gin rin kage ki utsuri2.png
Views: 123
Size:  90.7 KB

Thanks so much!
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Last edited by Koikawa; 1 Week Ago at 04:45 PM.

kevins2ooo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have been checking on Champkoi as well since I'm in NorCal. In my opinion most aren't worth $300. I am looking for a Kage Shiro Utsuri but they seem a little expensive for how they look. Many are already too developed for my liking, as far as tosai are concerned.

Doitsu sanke - The sumi is too overwhelming and will likely continue to grow. Head beni is also distracting...Doitsu variety isn't known to have the best growth rate or size. So another question is if the beni will hold for years down the road when it is eventually big enough for your liking.

Aka Bekko - Very messy sumi. Looks like shimi are also developing, not only the sumi.

Shiro Bekko - As far as I can tell from the low quality picture (that's one problem I have with Champkoi...picture and video quality aren't as good as they should be, in 2021) the skin is good...But who would pay $300 for a Shiro Bekko. Might as well pick a $300 sanke and take a bet.

Gin Rin Kage Ki Utsuri - Messy to me. Don't get me wrong I love Kage (hence I am also looking for a Kage Shiro) but when you mix certain things, like Kage and Gin Rin, it can get very messy. I wouldn't bother with $300.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by kevins2ooo View Post
      I have been checking on Champkoi as well since I'm in NorCal. In my opinion most aren't worth $300. I am looking for a Kage Shiro Utsuri but they seem a little expensive for how they look. Many are already too developed for my liking, as far as tosai are concerned.

Doitsu sanke - The sumi is too overwhelming and will likely continue to grow. Head beni is also distracting...Doitsu variety isn't known to have the best growth rate or size. So another question is if the beni will hold for years down the road when it is eventually big enough for your liking.

Aka Bekko - Very messy sumi. Looks like shimi are also developing, not only the sumi.

Shiro Bekko - As far as I can tell from the low quality picture (that's one problem I have with Champkoi...picture and video quality aren't as good as they should be, in 2021) the skin is good...But who would pay $300 for a Shiro Bekko. Might as well pick a $300 sanke and take a bet.

Gin Rin Kage Ki Utsuri - Messy to me. Don't get me wrong I love Kage (hence I am also looking for a Kage Shiro) but when you mix certain things, like Kage and Gin Rin, it can get very messy. I wouldn't bother with $300.
      Thank you so much for the feedback and detailed points. This is very helpful to help me look at the things you've pointed out to understand them. So much to learn!

As for shiro bekko...come on now, just because they're not very popular now and therefore not being purposefully bred doesn't mean they can't be works of art too.

kevins2ooo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You can tell how finished the group is by looking at their asagi and kage shiro utsuri...

https://www.champkoi.com/koi/set/SET...1%20FALL%20KOI

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Chances are, these are all pretty males. As long as you are ok with that and the price, paying tuition is what we all have done.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Thanks to Kevins2ooo's insightful comments, I am going to just continue looking and learning for the time being. There's no need to rush. Thanks, everyone!