• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: What product should I use to patch a leak?

Hop-frog is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What product should I use to patch a leak?

I came back from holiday to find a small stream in my backyard coming from the wetland filter area. My wetland filter is above ground, with walls of concrete, masonry, and metal, waterproofed with 45 mil liner. I can see that the water of the stream is coming from underneath is somewhere.

I found that the surface rock on one area of my wetland filter was disturbed, leaving a 5" hole, and the aquablocks and water underneath visible there. Directly below this hole, it seems is the source of the leak in the 45 mil liner. I haven't been able to see the hole, but I can hear a strange sound only in one place, and the location of the stream gives me an approximate location.

I intend to drain all of the water in the wetland filter, dig out the aquablock there, and patch the hole. Home Depot sells a product called "Totalpond Seaming Tape" for ponds. Is that a good product for doing the job? I want to make sure the seal is fixed and I won't have to come back and fix it again.
      Last edited by Hop-frog; 10-13-2021 at 03:21 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Smittyskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Hop-frog View Post
      I came back from holiday to find a small stream in my backyard coming from the wetland filter area. My wetland filter is above ground, with walls of concrete, masonry, and metal, waterproofed with 45 mil liner. I can see that the water of the stream is coming from underneath is somewhere.

I found that the surface rock on one area of my wetland filter was disturbed, leaving a 5" hole, and the aquablocks and water underneath visible there. Directly below this hole, it seems is the source of the leak in the 45 mil liner. I haven't been able to see the hole, but I can hear a strange sound only in one place, and the location of the stream gives me an approximate location.

I intend to drain all of the water in the wetland filter, dig out the aquablock there, and patch the hole. Home Depot sells a product called "Totalpond Seaming Tape" for ponds. Is that a good product for doing the job? I want to make sure the seal is fixed and I won't have to come back and fix it again.
      I would use the Firestone EDPM liner patch.https://www.amazon.com/LINER-REPAIR-.../dp/B000PR508A
      that should work for you.

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Liner material type not stated. Use a patch kit suitable for the material.

Any place rocks sit place something under that helps protect from punctures. Many use layer(s) of pond liner. Heavier needs more protection. Rocks with sharp edges such as limestone can be an issue needing multiple layers or thicker protection.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007