• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Scratched inner lip due to rough surface?

KoiFan84 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Scratched inner lip due to rough surface?

My koi has sort of a scratched pinkish area in the middle back side of its lower lip. She likes to graze on the algae/biofilm a lot. So maybe just sucking on a rough surface? The area is not dark red. It just looks like a pinkish abrasion. I have been feeding a medicated food for 2 weeks thats preventative for bacterial infections This morning was the last day of the treatment. The spot has gotten a good bit better still a bit pink. She has been eating very well including chomping on my fingers.
      She is over 2 feet. My 2 other 12 inch koi do not have anything on there lip, but they arenÂ’t as aggressive when grazing, and of course their lips are much smaller.
      Has anyone ever seen abraded lips on koi from grazing? If it’s just superficial like an abrasion and my water quality is very good is it not really a big deal for it to be like that? Thanks.
      Last edited by KoiFan84; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:58 PM.

nmtsaki is offline Moderator
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Cool

A picture would be good. But to answer your original question, yes, my koi have had various abrasions, marks, bruises etc. on their scales skin/face etc. they heal up on their own for the most part. Just make sure you keep the water clean and the parameters are all excellent. Ammonia zero, nitrite zero, nitrate within a reasonable range; maintain your KH at a reasonable level (7-13 drops, or 125-250 KH)
      For me, it’s like kids playing outside, boo boos happen.

Hope this helps

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy