• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pond cover 40' x 19'

perniciousviper is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I like the UFO - is that to deter predators?

Paul Sabucchi is online now Senior Member
      is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

Quote Originally Posted by perniciousviper View Post
      I like the UFO - is that to deter predators?
      Might be an added bonus, but no just nightlights

is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

Half-timbered fishpond

Just finished putting up the 2nd and 3rd span of the frame, it has been cold and drizzly at times so not much fun but I wanted it finished. As usual it is a long hard slog doing everything on your own, also because I am no carpenter or fabricator but as they say around here: la necessitÓ aguzza l'ingegno (necessity sharpens ingenuity). The angles of the brackets are not all exactly matching so some of the legs stick up a bit so need a support but all things considered I am quite happy with how it turned out. Over the next few days will tweak things and put the polytunnel cover on. Ciao
      Attached Images Attached Images   

One Poet's Garden is offline Senior Member
      is Digging. And then digging some
      more!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
      I am no carpenter or fabricator but as they say around here: la necessitÓ aguzza l'ingegno (necessity sharpens ingenuity). The angles of the brackets are not all exactly matching so some of the legs stick up a bit so need a support but all things considered I am quite happy with how it turned out.
      Paul,

"Dans ses Úcrits, un sage Italien / Dit que le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." Which I've always translated as "The best is the enemy of the good." Or, as my father used to say, "Good enough for government work." Or even "A blind man will never see it!"

Looks like you've got a working cover that will laugh at any blizzard. Bravo! And, it's on wheels!

Cold and drizzly here too. I admire you for getting out there and getting things done!

Best,

Bill

is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

Quote Originally Posted by One Poet's Garden View Post
      Paul,

"Dans ses Úcrits, un sage Italien / Dit que le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." Which I've always translated as "The best is the enemy of the good." Or, as my father used to say, "Good enough for government work." Or even "A blind man will never see it!"

Looks like you've got a working cover that will laugh at any blizzard. Bravo! And, it's on wheels!

Cold and drizzly here too. I admire you for getting out there and getting things done!

Best,

Bill
      Yes, should get the job done. Now the bulk is done I may even manage to go to that snowy mountain in the background, yesterday also put the winter tires on the 4wd

aquaholic is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I was thinking that if you made three sections with the middle section being slightly lower so it could "wheel" underneath either of the higher ends. This could make removal or partial opening easy but still easy to keep snow proof.

is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

Quote Originally Posted by aquaholic View Post
      I was thinking that if you made three sections with the middle section being slightly lower so it could "wheel" underneath either of the higher ends. This could make removal or partial opening easy but still easy to keep snow proof.
      That is a really good piece of advice, I was thinking of removing it all from spring to autumn but it is going to be a big job for me on my own; surprisingly Management (a k.a. my beloved wife) quite likes the frame and would not mind if it were permanent. The structure is already built in three sections as the longest non-laminated beams I could get are 4 meters long, so I could jack all three up a bit and as soon as winter is over I could "unjack" the middle section and slide it under a side. Anyone said "remote controlled motorized tracks"?
      Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 12-04-2021 at 08:50 AM.

is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

Polyethylene cover on, pinned down with boulders for now, will probably throw a couple of ropes across as a Hail Mary resort if the winds get really nasty. Now left to decide upon emergency heating methods, the volume of the "greenhouse" is no more and probably a little less than an average size bedroom and all I really need is for warm air to heat the tarp to melt snowflakes or at least help any accumulation to slide down to where I can remove it
      https://youtu.be/7ibRey97fQw

is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

No sooner did the cover go on that it had to come off again before the wind ripped it all to shreds, after the video the wind got a lot stronger so not good at all; will have to get more lumber to put on top of the tarp so it is "sandwiched" between the legs and the battens.
      https://youtu.be/wrvjZdE-lZc

batman is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Possibly some rope secured with bungies for slight tension.

Greenhouses in my region use double plastic secured with strips screwed down on sides and inflate between layers. Helps snow slide off and prevents wind damage.

Name:  SmartSelect_20211205-133648_Chrome.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  52.4 KB
      Name:  SmartSelect_20211205-133737_Chrome.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  47.1 KB
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
      Possibly some rope secured with bungies for slight tension.

Greenhouses in my region use double plastic secured with strips screwed down on sides and inflate between layers. Helps snow slide off and prevents wind damage.

Name:  SmartSelect_20211205-133648_Chrome.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  52.4 KB
      Name:  SmartSelect_20211205-133737_Chrome.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  47.1 KB
      Thanks, was considering the double layer, could do metal wire with ratchet tensioners. Will probably give the battens a go first

aquaholic is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Would thin guage wire mesh be cheaper and offer more support than battens?

is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

Quote Originally Posted by aquaholic View Post
      Would thin guage wire mesh be cheaper and offer more support than battens?
      Probably, but all I can get is the rolls of fencing welded wire mesh, be t difficult to unroll over that span

One Poet's Garden is offline Senior Member
      is Digging. And then digging some
      more!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Paul,

I know more about greenhouses than I do about ponds. That looks like 6 mil plastic. As long as you didn't get any tears in it putting it on, all you have to do is get a good seal on it, all the way around. Seriously, no air in or out. Some people just mound some dirt on the edges everywhere. Do that, and you'll be adding a good 10 degrees - maybe more - to the water temperature, without any further effort. And the water will hold the heat for a long time ... long enough to melt an awful lot of snow. Seriously, you could keep your koi growing all winter in there!

The solution to your wind problem is batten tape. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Batten-Tape-F...dp/B00BTYP09W/. Plastic goes on, then you stretch the batten tape over the plastic, and use a staple gun to staple through to tape and plastic to the wood. The stuff I use is 3/4 inch wide. Here's an example from the inside of my greenhouse:

Name:  PXL_20211202_193003869.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  235.3 KB

good luck!

Best,

Bill

is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

Thanks Bill, I am waiting for a calm day to try again, got some 2"X2" battens (at the moment I am cutting them to length) to put on top of the polyethylene and screw to each leg, so basically similar to what you suggest. I thought I had secured the sheet pretty well at ground level but obviously not airtight as I can't pile soil all around. You obviously know a lot more about the subject than I do, could it also be that fast flowing air over the top of the surface will generate lift as it would on a wing, even if there are no gaps for air to billow it from inside? Take care and your greenhouse looks great

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Is this high wind area?

is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

Is this high wind area?
      Unfortunately it is, with us being on the crest of a high hill half way between the mountains and the sea, also we are subject to strong warm southerly winds in the good season ("Scirocco" or "Phoen") and in the bad season even stronger really cold winds from the north-east (Bora or Burian), this is why I made the cover low and sloping to ground level. On top of this something that seems a new phenomenon, maybe connected to global warming, are so called "Medicanes" as in Mediterranean hurricanes, the sea surface particularly this year is a lot warmer than avarage so a lot of potential energy for trouble. So far none have hit this area but in the last two months one hit about 300 miles south and another about 200 miles north.

is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

Pond cover version 1.2

Screwed reasonably thick battens to keep the polyethylene in place, now we will see how it holds up, if all ok when I put the cover on next winter maybe I could put over the frame first a sheet of the bubble pool cover and then the polyethylene sheet?
      Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 12-08-2021 at 03:38 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If it doesn't hold up you might have to use something similar to this. There are different grades at lower cost also. We've used it on hoop houses in wind areas. Keep a roll of greenhouse repair tape on hand to stop any tears before they get large.

Name:  SmartSelect_20211208-213446_Chrome.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  66.7 KB
      Last edited by batman; 12-08-2021 at 10:50 PM.

is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

If it doesn't hold up you might have to use something similar to this. There are different grades at lower cost also. We've used it on hoop houses in wind areas. Keep a roll of greenhouse repair tape on hand to stop any tears before they get large.

Name:  SmartSelect_20211208-213446_Chrome.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  66.7 KB
      I will keep an eye out for it, may come in handy as it turns out the biggest threat to the integrity of the cover is not the wind or the snow but my blinking dogs. Specifically my 4 kind of Jack Russell mutts who in our absence used it as some kind of bouncy castle/trampoline, so quite a few little holes and tears (patched up best I could).
      Now connected to the horse's electric fence and if there is any justice in this world my Meg is going to be the first to get zapped

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123