• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pinkish white koi

KingstonKoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How is the koi doing now? Does he still have pink fins?

Were there any other signs typical of a fluke infestation? An assumption was made that it might be a fluke problem, but with flukes you usually get fish that rub the liner, flash in the water and/or jump in an effort to rid themselves of flukes. And they usually infect multiple fish as well. Besides this fish, are any other fish showing either pink fins or the symptoms of having flukes?

If not, there are three other things pink fins can indicate. As Nancy suggested, it might be the natural color of the fish emerging. I recently purchased a fish with a very white coloring, and the tail fin was colored at the edge with a pink tinge that Iím told is typical of that style and color koi. Another reason is under stress, some koi are prone to show streaking of blood through the fins. You see this with fish that are shipped, and it disappears in a few hours or days. If there was an event in the pond the fish considered stressful, and they do stress about a lot of things, that could cause temporary pink coloration. And finally, it could be a bacterial infection. In which case you need to address it from that perspective.

So how is the koi doing now?
      Last edited by KingstonKoi; 09-15-2021 at 10:25 PM.

Koifancinci is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So far so good - no one has died. Hopefully I started treatment in time. It's hard to get a good look at the fin color of that fish due to the Proform C treatment tingeing the water but I think he looks a little better. That said, it did look like he was developing a red spot/lesion on top of his head but I think it might be fading a bit. Fingers crossed! He is not as lethargic or clamping as much, is swimming more freely, has an appetite and is eating, etc. That fish was the first to show signs of distress (pink fins/pink lines on body) but all of them (except the fry born in July) started flashing and laying on the bottom while I was waiting for medication to arrive. In fact one of the other big koi lost 2 scales near its tail from the flashing activity - hoping to avoid infection.

I am on the second day of Proform C (with Fluke M starting tomorrow) so I am trying to cover all the bases and knock out whatever was making them sick. There were no new fish or plants introduced - my best guess is that a parasite of some kind came in via the new bog we installed last year. It ended up being a major birdbath this summer and from what I understand that is a big cause of parasite issues in ponds. Would love to prevent this problem from happening again but the only idea I have is netting the bog - the pond itself is netted.

KingstonKoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That’s good to hear. And it sounds like you did have the flashing that usually is indicative of flukes. Although usually introduced by adding other fish to the pond without quarantining, parasites can be brought in by birds, ducks, and other passing critters. And even if you net the bog, birds flying over can drop bird poo and there you go. Sounds like you’re on the correct path, and keep us posted on the outcome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12