• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese demand driving up prices?

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by danzcool View Post
      I feel more than anything it is the lack of demand in the USA driving up the price, the dealers need to stay afloat and are holding fish longer than they used to based on lower turnover, that also means they are paying more for food & upkeep. But beyond that inflation in general is real and likely permanent, so yeah, the dollar in general buys about 50% less than it did 2 years ago. Just look at the supermarket and restaurant prices.
      Oops, I missed this one. I thought that this might be the case once Covid hit but it wasn't for me. I have sold more Koi in the last 18 months than in the three to four years prior.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
      Inflation is way up and likely to go further. This may hit the US and Europe more than Asia due to the stimulus packages and other government cash infusions in the form of direct benefits. Demand from China has been a factor for years in many industries such as oil to use one that we all are familiar with. This is not new.
      Japanese currency has been deflating at the same time and over the past few years, so the price change that we see here is that much more.
      Thus koi prices (like any product imported from Japan) are rising higher relative to other things. So are those koi prices surpassing the combined inflation from the US and deflation from Japan? No one publishes wholesale koi prices, which mean that a dealer like Russ would have to say if they are booking prices at a steeper climb than usual. I would love to know the numbers, wouldn't you?
      Prices for me really haven't gone up, in Japan, and I have not raised my prices. I think it just depends on who your buying from. There is an exception though. A lot of the US dealers bought Koi, last fall, via video from Japan. There were a lot of larger Japanese dealers that were buying extra inventory so prices went up a lot. Breeders did charge more for Koi and the videos did not always do a good job of showing what the Koi truly was. I was happy with the Koi i bought from Torazo, Matsue and Omosako but I was really unhappy with most of the rest as they weren't as good as they looked and were over priced. I do not plan on ever buying larger Koi from Japan unless I can be there. Japan is closed up so I won't be going this October / November and I won't be ordering any Koi to bring in. When I went in January of this year I thought the prices and selection of Tosai was excellent so I bought more than usual figuring there would be no in person fall harvest for dealers.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

MikeM is offline Super Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My impression from what I've heard is that dealers with a strong internet presence have done OK through the pandemic, with some experiencing record sales, like Russ. It also seems to me that these dealers have not had as many fish "left over" in inventory & thus no need to discount. A couple I follow have been getting shipments over the summer and selling out, when normally they would pretty much stop stocking new fish from mid-July until Fall harvest. On the other hand, dealers who have not worked the internet/social media to build a following have struggled. This has been the trend for a long time & now even more so.

kevins2ooo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KoiFan84 View Post
      No. A koi that was 42K is now 50K. A koi that was 36K is now 42K all the way down to was $200 is now $350. Clever retorts though fellas. I guess you never took economics.
      Quote Originally Posted by KoiFan84 View Post
      Iím sure you 2 are throwing down thousands to buy koi, which obviously means youíre pulling the ladies left and right too.
      Something about your nature that always makes you feel offensive, which I suspect could be due to the environment you were brought up in or life experiences you encountered that land you, always, in a defensive position. There were posts in the past where you appeared offensive or even aggressive toward other members who just wanted to learn, or expressed their opinion (think it was about you asking for the best koi food). I express my opinions too but do not make an effort to offend or disrespect others.

The two members were just making a statement on how the supply and demand are completely different. Economics was my major in college. The analogy kimini made actually makes a lot of sense. Why would the competition to buy Ferrari's, hence driving up the prices of Ferrari's, affect the affordability of commuter cars like the Toyota Camry? If prices are increasing across the board, and that supply and demand are clearly from different groups of people, why made you think the demand for high end koi would drive up cost for lower end koi? Chances are there are other reasons, which have been brought up by others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12