• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Arachnis Pond Anchor Ideas

TJeep is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Arachnis Pond Anchor Ideas

I'm currently using metal bands to hold together and anchor down my Arachnis plants. They work great except that where the metal band presses against the stems they rot pretty quickly and break free clogging up my skimmer. I'm looking for alternate anchor ideas that meet the following criteria:

1. Free floating or surface floating is not an option. I have a lot of trees and for the skimmer to be able to do it's job the pants must be fully submerged
      2. I net clean the bottom of the pond almost daily. I need to be able to easily move the bundles of arachnis around with the net in order to clean the pond.
      3. They need to be held securely together in a way that allows them to be moved around, but also not damage the stems so I do not have to constantly re-bundle them.

Thank you for your time and advice!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Paulzie67 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Without Fish (large fish) I always just pushed it into the sand/soil on the bottom and it would root soon enough and hold it down
      "I read a book about Stockholm Syndrome.
      At first I hated it, but by the end I loved it."
      "If not for mans ability to Mimic, most humans would probably still be living in caves, grunting at each other."

TJeep is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Paulzie67 View Post
      Without Fish (large fish) I always just pushed it into the sand/soil on the bottom and it would root soon enough and hold it down
      Per above #2 I have a EPDM pond liner I clean almost daily with a net. I do not have sand/soil on the bottom of my pond so this is not an option. Open to other ideas though... there has to be some way to bundle/anchor them and also keep the stems from rotting out, right?? The rest of the plants/stems are extremely healthy.

Paulzie67 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

And in a pot isn't an option I'm guessing. What about a mesh bag... like the kind onions come in. Cut a square, poke a few cuttings through one side. Put something to weigh it down (gravel, a few stones or marbles) on the side with the cut ends, then add some spagnum moss it coconut coir for the roots to grow in and pull up the corners and make a ball out of it. As long as there's leaves on the side inside the ball, they should hold it inside until it roots . You may be able to make the weighted moss ball first then, use a pencil to create an opening/hole to push the cuttings into.
      Should work.
      "I read a book about Stockholm Syndrome.
      At first I hated it, but by the end I loved it."
      "If not for mans ability to Mimic, most humans would probably still be living in caves, grunting at each other."

TJeep is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Paulzie67 View Post
      And in a pot isn't an option I'm guessing. What about a mesh bag... like the kind onions come in. Cut a square, poke a few cuttings through one side. Put something to weigh it down (gravel, a few stones or marbles) on the side with the cut ends, then add some spagnum moss it coconut coir for the roots to grow in and pull up the corners and make a ball out of it. As long as there's leaves on the side inside the ball, they should hold it inside until it roots . You may be able to make the weighted moss ball first then, use a pencil to create an opening/hole to push the cuttings into.
      Should work.
      I like this idea... I'll give it a try! Thank you!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007