• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Still losing Koi

BeckyB is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Still losing Koi

We are still losing koi every three to five days. Have tried everything we can think of to save them. I did purchase a microscope and need help identifying these parasites. With all of the treatments we have tried its hard to believe any parasites are alive.

Tried attaching iPhone video but wouldn’t upload so did screen shots instead.

Thanks
      Attached Images Attached Images    

SimonW is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have not followed your threads.

When the water values are good and it is difficult to identify the problem source, I would do potassium permanganate-treatment. Search for Roddy Conrad´s threads on this topic to know how to do it.

Or you can do shot-gun treatment against microscopic parasites (not against bacteria which are better taken care of with PP). There are many threads on this topic on this site as well.

About the photos: I have not seen so many types of parasites, but this one seems to be fluke. Does it move like leach?

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      ~ 2021 KPOTY
      is is growing tired of trolls

Feeling:
      Meh

We can't host videos on Koiphen but if you upload them to YouTube and link here, that works. Or if they're small enough you can
      email them to me at forum@koiphen.com and I can put them on the Koiphen YouTube channel.
      Here's a tutorial that might help too:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...ideo-in-a-Post
      --Steve
      ..WWKC Treasurer

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The fluke looking pic was not moving but didn't seem to look like the pictures online of flukes the tail looked more like thin legs. The scrapes were from a koi that died overnight. The other two pics of the oval shapes were still moving around.

I have done a PP treatment (Roarks 8 day)
      Chloramine T for 5 days.
      Proform C and Prazi more than once

Thanks for the info Steve.

Started with 12 koi and have 5 left.

Can one ever kill all the parasites?

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

pics of gills

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here are the pics of the gills. Same look as all of the other koi we have lost. I did do a gill scrape but didn’t see anything on those slides.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can you catch a koi and take a gill snip and look under scope. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Haxa-VeR0kk

And post pic of gills as well.

What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate kh ph numbers ?
      Last edited by kdh; 08-14-2021 at 07:34 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyB View Post
      The fluke looking pic was not moving but didn't seem to look like the pictures online of flukes the tail looked more like thin legs. The scrapes were from a koi that died overnight. The other two pics of the oval shapes were still moving around.

I have done a PP treatment (Roarks 8 day)
      Chloramine T for 5 days.
      Proform C and Prazi more than once

Thanks for the info Steve.

Started with 12 koi and have 5 left.

Can one ever kill all the parasites?
      Again, try potassium permanganate-treatment. Search for Roddy Conrad´s threads on this topic to know how to do it.

You need quick action, not a lot of questions while doing nothing.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
      Again, try potassium permanganate-treatment. Search for Roddy Conrad´s threads on this topic to know how to do it.

You need quick action, not a lot of questions while doing nothing.
      Koi well continue to die if the gills are damaged. Some take longer than others to die based on how extensive the gill damage is. The quick action of PP well kill koi if gills are damaged and should not be applied now. She has all ready treated for bacterial and parasite. For all we know all these treatments could be part of the problem. She fallowed Roarks 8 day PP treatment formula in post #4.
      A gill snip would tell if there is a parasite issue and move forward from there.
      Koi well not heal properly without good water. So parameters are important and a need to know.
      Last edited by kdh; 08-15-2021 at 08:38 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Update: started Roddy’s 21 day treatment of PP and Proform C five days ago. No recent deaths and all are eating. Hoping we are past the worst of this nightmare.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      ~ 2021 KPOTY
      is is growing tired of trolls

Feeling:
      Meh

That's great to hear! Please let us know how things progress.
      --Steve
      ..WWKC Treasurer

Roddy Conrad is offline The Koiphen Chemist
      is Busy!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyB View Post
      Update: started Roddy’s 21 day treatment of PP and Proform C five days ago. No recent deaths and all are eating. Hoping we are past the worst of this nightmare.
      It actually took 21 days of that intensive treatment to stop the deaths in my koi pond after adding 12 small koi to the pond. Lost 13 of a total of about 50 koi in the pond. But no problems since that 21 day intensive treatment, and astounding growth rates on all the koi. I continue my every 4th day 4 ppm PP treatment both to insure parasite control and to get high growth rates at high stocking densities with almost no water changes.

At the end of the 21 day intensive treatment, some of the big koi had lost most of their coloration when they were in poor shape and obviously near death. But those that survived have all their wonderful black and red colors back, and deeper than before. So there IS hope when the effort hits the problem.
      Last edited by Roddy Conrad; 08-21-2021 at 06:37 PM.
      Your koiphen chemist and environmental scientist.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy Conrad View Post
      It actually took 21 days of that intensive treatment to stop the deaths in my koi pond after adding 12 small koi to the pond. Lost 13 of a total of about 50 koi in the pond. But no problems since that 21 day intensive treatment, and astounding growth rates on all the koi. I continue my every 4th day 4 ppm PP treatment both to insure parasite control and to get high growth rates at high stocking densities with almost no water changes.

At the end of the 21 day intensive treatment, some of the big koi had lost most of their coloration when they were in poor shape and obviously near death. But those that survived have all their wonderful black and red colors back, and deeper than before. So there IS hope when the effort hits the problem.
      Hello Roddy:

Thank you for this information. I wonder if you identified the problem to gill fluke out-break? I remember you mentioned that this hasch protocol was designed to get rid of gill flukes.

I guess that your previous protocol with PP alone would take care of most of the other microscopic parasites, right? Or at least as you said, keep them under control.

Thanks!

Simon

Roddy Conrad is offline The Koiphen Chemist
      is Busy!

Feeling:
      Awesome

The problem was clearly an attack of the gills, with some evidence of an accompanying fungal infection.

While the products sold for fish treatment containing formaldehyde and Malachite Green are still known as the best thing around to bring a wide variety of gill parasites and fungal infections under control in a quarantine tank using fresh water, that combo is seldom effective to use to treat an entire koi pond without first oxidizing the various organic chemicals in the pond with an effective PP treatment. That is because both formaldehyde and Malachite Green are very reactive chemicals that will not last long enough in the koi pond to be effective. But clean the pond water up with PP then apply them and they work.

None of my fish through the problem 21 day period ever had a single ulcer or broken skin. Two developed white spots on the skin which I assumed were fungi, but white skin spots can also be caused by parasites.

All of the koi that died became lethargic for several days before gill function stopped and I removed them from the pond. The population of big koi, over 25 inches and certainly up to 25 pounds and most over 25 years old were hardest hit. None of the new small koi died or even showed any symptoms.
      Your koiphen chemist and environmental scientist.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Update: Finished last treatment of Roddy’s 21 day treatment on the 5th of September. All remaining fish are doing okay. Pond temperature has been dropping so they aren’t eating much these days and are a bit stressed as Mr. Blue Heron has been visiting lately. Bad bird!!