• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which fry would you keep or cull?

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hello friends:

Almost one year has passed. From about 2000 fries born by the shiro bekko/utsuri mother last summer I selected about 300 to keep indoors over the winter last fall, and last week I selected again 150 of those 350 to keep over this summer. Here comes some of them. I wonder if you experts see anything promising, that is, better pond grade?

Name:  20220508_155836~2.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  124.1 KBName:  20220508_162019~2.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  85.7 KBName:  20220508_164037~2.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  86.0 KBName:  20220508_170133~2.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  91.1 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I forget to say that I am much disturbed by the ugly sight of thin tail tubes, therefore I have paid extra attention to their tail tubes! Have I succeeded or not?

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

SimonW I really admire your efforts at producing better koi and am looking forward to future spawns, but I've been watching and reading your post for sometime now and what I think promotes a thin tail tube with a chuby body is the lack of space I use to think that the second season was the most important but I have realized that they all have their moment it starts from the get go, they have to be able to exercise in order grow to their full potential don't feel bad am also struggling with that issue at this moment, hope this helps.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      SimonW I really admire your efforts at producing better koi and am looking forward to future spawns, but I've been watching and reading your post for sometime now and what I think promotes a thin tail tube with a chuby body is the lack of space I use to think that the second season was the most important but I have realized that they all have their moment it starts from the get go, they have to be able to exercise in order grow to their full potential don't feel bad am also struggling with that issue at this moment, hope this helps.
      Thanks you Orlando!

Lack of space is a real problem that cannot be solved without investing a small fortune. I think that I have to accept a higher percentage of fry/small koi develop this kind of ugly conformation.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Simon,

For pattern and color, I like the shiro bekko on the left of the last photo of post #21. Also the ki bekko on the right side of that photo, if the sumi solidifies a little, and the slimmer sanke at the bottom.

As for conformation, it seems to me that sometimes koi are perceived as having weak tails when it really is just that they have a fat, dumpy shaped body, and the tail seems small by comparison. My 32" ridiculously obese soragoi has a tail that looks small compared to her blimp of a body. But if she gets startled when near the surface, she can drench everybody on the patio, so her tail is not weak! It's an optical illusion.

Still a dumpy appearance is not what most people want. Some female koi look good when they are young, but can blow out as they mature. But some koi look dumpy in their first year. Whether from koi I've raised or young ones I've bought, I've seen a mixture of those with dumpy shapes and nicer shapes, even though I've kept them in the same pond. So it seems that at least a big part of that is in the genes.

To me, the shapes of at least the majority of those in your post #21 look okay. Some of the nicer patterned ones in the bottom photo are a bit dumpy though. I know that when doing selections, I tend to overlook some undesirable qualities of particular ones that have a pretty color/pattern or other qualities that I like. I like to see how they develop, and if they don't turn out good enough, I may re-home them after 2-4 years.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12