• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Backwashing to irrigation help

davesurfer is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Backwashing to irrigation help

Hi! So right now when I backwash my filter it drains out a big hose that empties into the lawn. I have a raised pond, 700 gal, and most of what I want to irrigate is situated on a steep slope from the pond: a row of raspberry bushes going down the slope, and other vegetation such as cedar hedges. I backwash every day about 30 gallons. Now I know the pressure would be a lot higher than what sprinklers are used to and also the water is dirty so there'd have to be a lot more filtration (hopefully not too much as the mulm would be great for the plants!). I was thinking of a holding tank for the 30 gallons and then it could gravity feed into drip lines (might clog to easily) or perforated 1/2" lines (drip inline hose) throughout my raspberries and cedar hedges. I don't have room for a 30+ gallon tank and it would be unsightly as well. Any thoughts? Thanks!

UnkleTim is offline Senior Member
      is most excellent

Feeling:
      ----

Your idea is stellar

pondfishguy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Circular trash cans are your best bang for the buck. You can use a Uniseal in the bottom. I would use something larger than irrigation tubing. I typically drill holes three eights inch or larger to prevent plugging. Install a hose bib connection so you can flush it out under pressure every once in a while.

davesurfer is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by pondfishguy View Post
      Circular trash cans are your best bang for the buck. You can use a Uniseal in the bottom. I would use something larger than irrigation tubing. I typically drill holes three eights inch or larger to prevent plugging. Install a hose bib connection so you can flush it out under pressure every once in a while.
      Thanks! So when you say larger than irrigation tubing, like 3/4 inch or something? I was hoping not to have a holding tank just so that it would not look unsightly, but I guess I can't backwash this directly as the pressure would be too much? I have about 200 feet of cedar hedges to water.

pondfishguy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Depending on how much you are concerned about aesthetics and price you could use white PVC in 1 inch thin wall ( Home Depot), the cheap pond hose in 1 inch size, the black flexible schedule 40 PVC in 1 inch size. I use a stepped drill for making holes in the pipe. That way you can control the amount of flow to different areas based on the hole size. You could also use 3/4 inch irrigation tubing. Smaller the tubing the slower the flow. In any scenario I would want to have the capability to pressure flush it with city water
      Last edited by pondfishguy; 08-03-2021 at 06:00 AM.

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

That is a great idea.

I have done the same thing (similar concept) with my 55gal filter and I have converted the filter BD so that the garden hose can connect to it. Every time I do WC, I connect the water hose to it and drain out the water and all the junks out and water the lawn at the same time.
      -=[Sunny]=-

I have served, I have fought to defends the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!