• Tired

Thread: Building a new pond, seeking advice

Jrock is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Building a new pond, seeking advice

Hi Koiphen Community!
      New member here, first time poster looking for some insight.
      I struggled for years with the tiny, leaky, shallow, concrete pond that came with my house when I bought it. Endless patching and sealing, replacing pumps and filters, draining and mucking again and again. I got so sick of all the maintenance that I drained it, drilled some holes in the bottom, and turned it into a planter for a couple of seasons.
      This spring I took initiative, dug out the dirt and began to demo the original, leaky concrete basin with the intent to build this pond right. Im not making a koi pond per se, more of a wildlife water garden. I dont intend on keeping too many fish, but I do have 3 ducks that will swim periodically. I might toss some minnows or feeder goldfish and maybe a couple of crawdads in to amuse the ducks. There are trees in the vicinity, so tree junk is a thing as well as duck poop and feathers. I want to design this pond system for ease of maintenance for me and my feathered friends.
      Ive expanded the footprint and dug down a bit to where I now have a hole in the ground about 9.5x10.5 and 4 deep. Im installing a skimmer, hydro-sieve, waterfall filter, 6100 gpm submersible pump, aerated 3 bottom drain and a 45mil EPDM liner. I plan on hooking up the BD to the hydro-sieve, hydro-sieve to skimmer/pump. Pumping from skimmer to a valve manifold that splits the water flow to a Savio WF filter loaded with spring media and to two separate, up-flow bog filters (one 16 SF and the other 36 SF) each equipped with caterpillar/snorkel cleanout vaults. Waste lines will be plumbed for cleanout and will drain to nearby raised garden beds. These up-flow bogs, in addition to 13 SF of smaller, planted gravel beds on shelves and in margins will be about 75% of the ponds surface.
      A pallet load of pond stuff arrived this afternoon and I am excited to soon get all this digging over with! As I sit and ponder by the hole in my backyard, questions start filling my head. I hope some of you more experienced ponders can help me. Ive attached some drawings of what I have floating in my head. Would somebody please review these plans and advise me as to:
      What am I missing?
      Is my filtration/flow adequate?
      How can I make the hardware that I already have more efficient?
      Where should I plumb in my return lines?
      Where should I consider having wyes/cleanouts?
      I intend to have one up-flow bog filter drain and cascade via a weir into the other bog filter? Would filtered water falling into an up-flow bog from above a cause issues?
      How can I improve (without spending lots of additional money)?
      Attached Images Attached Images   

JMorris271 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Redraw your diagram to make your plan clearer and you will get more responses Just a suggestion.
      Last edited by JMorris271; 07-29-2021 at 10:49 AM.

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC President
      is Looking forward to a better
      year

Feeling:
      Friendly

Hi , sorry You have not received any replies up till this point , We tend to be geared more for Koi enthusiasts. I’m not a bog fan , as they turn into a big mess . Regardless of Your attempt to design a way to clean them , they turn into toxic swamps . If I could make a few recommendations though , I would change the way Your feeding the bottom drain , hydrosieve , and skimmer circuits . The way it is right now will be hard to balance or regulate flow to either the bottom drain or the skimmer . Since the pump is in the skimmer , it will draw most of the water direct from the skimmer , and if the hydrosieve clogs up as it gets dirty , the pump will draw all its water from the skimmer . A better solution would be to have both the bottom drain (BD) , and the skimmer (SK) , feed the hydrosieve, with the pump drawing from the hydrosieve, and valves on both the BD line , and Sk line to regulate flow so that You get more flow where You want it. Keep in mind that since the hydrosieve is gravity fed , that 3’’ BD will only gravity feed about 2,500 GPH . Depending on how much flow You’ll want from that BD drain line to feed Your 6,100 GPH pump , You might want to increase that BD line to 4” , which will gravity flow around 5,000 GPH. .

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC President
      is Looking forward to a better
      year

Feeling:
      Friendly