• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stabilizing Temporary Holding Tank for Koi

RJL350 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi GloriaL. I have been wondering about the new pond! The new pond started cycling 1/2 full of water July 2nd and on July 30 we filled it all the way up (~6000 gallons). My biofilter is an AquaUV Ultima II, 10000 and like all Ultima II's comes pre-seeded with beneficial bacteria. I've checked the water quality, and as expected Amm, Nitrite, and Nitrate are all zero, while pH=7.6, KH=2. The temperature here in Oregon has been 80-90F. We expect the crew will finish the area outside the pond by late August and that is when we plan to add fish. So I have many questions:
      - Is there any way to know when the biofilter has a growth of beneficial bacteria?
      - Our tap water is very soft with KH=2. I have ~1 gal of crushed oyster shells that I plan to place in the upper falls to help avoid pH crashes and I think it might help raise KH over time. I have 12 lbs of baking soda on hand too.
      If there are other things I should be doing to insure the new pond is suitable for fish before late August, please let me know. Thanks!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, you are absolutely right cvostmyer. July 26-31 the Nitrate dropped as follows: 40-20-10-10-10-10, and amm=.25, Nitrite=.25, pH=7.6 were all stable. So I believe we have stability again, and will continue to monitor. We have started feeding the fish again, very small amounts once per day. Hopefully we can sustain this over the next 4+ weeks until the new pond is ready.

cvostmyer is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You say "cycling", do you mean biological cycling or just circulation? I would expect to see some Nitrates if you have started your biological cycle and have zero ammonia and nitrite.

To do a fishless biological cycle, you will need to estimate the amount of ammonia that the fish will be producing. If you can estimate the mass of your fish, 1 Kg of koi will generate about 800 mg of ammonia. You then add that amount of ammonia daily. You will want to start adding the ammonia 4 to 6 weeks before you add the fish. If you start late don't worry you can complete the cycle with fish, you just stop adding the ammonia and use a binder to protect the fish till the cycle is complete.

This is very similar to what you did with the temporary holding tank, just at a larger scale.

Your biofilter has a full growth of bacteria when it is in balance with your fish, that is when ammonia/nitrite numbers are zero and the nitrate number increases over time, just like the holding tank. If you have plants in your pond, you may not see as big of an increase in the nitrates as you did in the holding tank.

Make sure you have enough binder and salt on hand to dose your full pond, just incase you need to use it like with the holding tank.
      Last edited by cvostmyer; 08-01-2021 at 06:43 PM.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

For the bead type filters, the performance is best when the KH is high, during early cycling values over 200ppm are ideal. Coral does not dissolve in waters with good KH values, as good KH keeps the pH too high to dissolve the carbonates. Cycling of a pond as mentioned by cvostmyer is a misunderstood and misnamed phenomenon, in that it is really balancing the filter bacteria to the fish load. Add a fish and it takes time for the filter to build to the additional load, increase feeding again the filter has to adjust, with the bacteria population constantly increasing or decreasing based on availability of ammonia and nitrite. Running the filter without any fish or other sources of ammonia to feed the bacteria does nothing for the development of the bio bacteria populations.

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you everyone for your help! The holding tank has been stable for the past few weeks via 50% water changes every other day, and using Seachem Prime each time.
      The new pond will be ready next week for the Koi. I will have 5 weeks to monitor it and then will be gone for 2 weeks. Should I be worried during that 2 weeks that the "cycling" will need some attention?
      We have 5 koi (6-22" long), ~72" total fish length. The new pond is ~6000 gallons with a 10,000 gallon Aqua UV filtration system and dual 50W UV lamps. There are no plants, about 8' wide water falls, and a bottom drain. My only other choice would be to leave the Koi in the holding tank during those 2 weeks which seems really bad!
      Any concerns or thoughts to mitigate a crash while we are out for those 2 weeks?

RichToyBox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

If the KH is high, then there is no reason to worry about any crash. You should be through the ammonia part of the cycle, or nearly so, and will only need to worry about having salt in the pond to get through the nitrite part of the cycle. Go ahead and transfer the fish and have fun.

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12