Thread: Full Grown Comet Goldfish Minimum Length

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      TJeep is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Full Grown Comet Goldfish Minimum Length

I keep seeing that Comets can reach up to 12", but I can't find anything stating what their minimum length should be...

I do understand water quality, pond size, stocking rates all factor into the equation and I'm not looking to get into that debate rather is there a min size they reach after 3-4 years. Mainly just curious so not urgent, but figured if this group didn't know I was out of luck.

Thank you!

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

This is what I found, it depends on the environment and the living space. If you want it to not grow a lot then don't give it a lot of spaces. That is to my understanding. Seems to be the same concept as the Koi. More space more growth, less space less growth. In comet case, the maximum is 12 inches, and the minimum controlled by spaces.

The maximum Comet Goldfish size when fully grown is 12 inches long (assuming they have proper space to grow).

When you buy a Comet Goldfish, it’s usually a small juvenile that’s only a couple inches long. But that will change in a hurry!

As with any fish, their environment plays a big role in how big they can get. Poor water conditions can stunt their growth and shorten their lifespan. However, Comet Goldfish are a bit different.

It’s believed that the fish have a Growth Inhibiting Hormone that will affect their adult size. The hormone adjusts to the size of their environment. So, a larger habitat will result in bigger fish and vice versa.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

*Ci* is offline Administrator
      is enjoying the fall weather

Feeling:
      Happy

I have culled fry that got thrown into my lily ponds for mosquito control. In unfiltered water, and unfed other than larvae and algae, the oldest are maybe 5-6 years old and no bigger than 2” to 3”. The comets (and parents of the fry) in my koi pond are pushing the 12” mark.

TJeep is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by *Ci* View Post
      I have culled fry that got thrown into my lily ponds for mosquito control. In unfiltered water, and unfed other than larvae and algae, the oldest are maybe 5-6 years old and no bigger than 2” to 3”. The comets (and parents of the fry) in my koi pond are pushing the 12” mark.
      Good info... TY for sharing!