• Tired

Thread: 1000gal build / filtration plan

jfknt is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

1000gal build / filtration plan

Okay ladies and gents.

Working on a new project to add to my water scapes and pond life, this one is just a small one.

1000gal above ground poly tank (9ft round by 2ft 4” deep) I will be using decorative brick to go around with large retaining wall caps to make it look good and hide the tank. But to the filtration questions/discussion. —>

Plan : 3” bottom drain/aerate; gravity fed to (settlement) barrel #1, overflows into barrel #2 (bio balls) with a pump in the bottom, pumps to the UV and then up through the bottom of barrel #3, which will be my sand and gravel that then gravity feeds back into the pond.

Question #1, would I just go with a 2000gph pump? Or is that over kill, open to suggestions.

Question #2, do I need to use 55gal drums or will 30g drums work?

Also open to any and all opinions on any little piece to the plan

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by jfknt View Post
      Okay ladies and gents.

Working on a new project to add to my water scapes and pond life, this one is just a small one.

1000gal above ground poly tank (9ft round by 2ft 4” deep) I will be using decorative brick to go around with large retaining wall caps to make it look good and hide the tank. But to the filtration questions/discussion. —>

Plan : 3” bottom drain/aerate; gravity fed to (settlement) barrel #1, overflows into barrel #2 (bio balls) with a pump in the bottom, pumps to the UV and then up through the bottom of barrel #3, which will be my sand and gravel that then gravity feeds back into the pond.

Question #1, would I just go with a 2000gph pump? Or is that over kill, open to suggestions.

Question #2, do I need to use 55gal drums or will 30g drums work?

Also open to any and all opinions on any little piece to the plan
      Welcome and thanks for joining Koiphen!

1. Yes, I think a 2000 gph pump should be fine. I had a 2500 gph one on a 10' Intex pool filled
      so it had about 850 gallons and it wasn't too much for that.

2. Yes, I would stick with 55 gallon barrels. Their limit for dwell time to allow settling to occur is
      about 2500 gph and dropping them to 30 gallons would make it too much flow for any settling.

I think unless it's inside you'd miss not having a skimmer. I'd skip the settling chamber for it and plumb
      it directly to the bio filter. Skimmers by design capture debris that floats so if it gets past the basket
      in the skimmer it won't settle out in the settling chamber anyway. Plus the less water going to the SC
      the better the settling will be.

I hope you'll share the build once underway! Good luck with the project!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

thanks for the reply and thanks for the welcoming me! Your suggesting i just bottom drain gravity feed straight to the bio, and then install a cylinder style surface skimmer, and i would just run a separate pump for the skimmer to go into the bio as well?

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

thanks for the reply and thanks for the welcoming me! Your suggesting i just bottom drain gravity feed straight to the bio, and then install a cylinder style surface skimmer, and i would just run a separate pump for the skimmer to go into the bio as well?
      Yes, you can do that. Or you can incorporates the skimmer into the whole thing.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

quan3t is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Negative. The suggestion is to stick with what you have and add a skimmer that plum directly to the bio as the skimmer already have a basket and will catch the floating debris (no need for settling anything).
      Attached Images Attached Images  

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by quan3t View Post
      Negative. The suggestion is to stick with what you have and add a skimmer that plum directly to the bio as the skimmer already have a basket and will catch the floating debris (no need for settling anything).
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

ahhhh i got you i got you, thats simple enough

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007