• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Needs helps identify issues

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Needs helps identify issues

Alright, Pond gurus and experts, I needs some helps in identifying issues with my pond water flows configurations.

Currently I have a pump fed setup that I am using a Lifeguard QuietOne pump Aquarium Pump 5000 Series (1450gph) that is currently pumping about 1000gph rates at 3ft below. (approx.) The pump pull the water up and over the pond to the bio filter then around the corner to the waterfall. I have the pump pumping at the lowest level, if I increase it. It will overflowed the filter.

ISSUE: For some reason or another, there are a lot of mosquitos in the bio filter. Every time I open the top of the filter there were a lot of mosquitos flying out. It seems that the lavas got through the pump into the filter and reside there.

What changes do I needs to make in order to fixed the flows issues and solved my mosquitos problems?
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Once you pump the water to the bio barrel, you are no longer "pumping" and your filter is
      using gravity to flow and produce the waterfall. If you're unable to flow much it means your
      filter probably isn't high enough over the level of the water in the planter/waterfall. How much difference
      in height is there between the outlet of the bio filter and the water level in the planter/waterfall?
      When you turn up the pump, does the water level also rise in the planter? If so it may be that
      the waterfall outlet in the planter is too small. It's hard to tell how large that is.

My sieve gets little gnats hatching in it too. They make mosquito dunks that work really well. I use
      them in my 10 gallon containers I have some lilies in. I've never used them in my sieve for the gnats...
      not sure if it would work on them or not. Is the filter covered? I know when I put a cover on my sieve,
      that's when the gnats appear. Very few of them show up if I leave the lid off.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      How much difference in height is there between the outlet of the bio filter and the water level in the planter/waterfall?
      When you turn up the pump, does the water level also rise in the planter? If so it may be that
      the waterfall outlet in the planter is too small. It's hard to tell how large that is.
      Not much, the planters/waterfall is about the same height as the outlet of the filter. With the ankle up maybe 5”. When I turn up the pump the water level doesn’t rise in the planter only in the filter.

I am thinking the same thing as well that the planter is too small. I am fixing to change it to something different. Building a DIY Wooden Waterfall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldDragon View Post
      Not much, the planters/waterfall is about the same height as the outlet of the filter. With the ankle up maybe 5”. When I turn up the pump the water level doesn’t rise in the planter only in the filter.

I am thinking the same thing as well that the planter is too small. I am fixing to change it to something different. Building a DIY Wooden Waterfall.

If you had enough height between the bio filter and the waterfall container the water would rise in both.
      If it's just the bio filter, you don't have enough height above the waterfall planter. Raise the bio filter up.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

One Poet's Garden is offline Senior Member
      is Digging. And then digging some
      more!

Feeling:
      Friendly

ISSUE: For some reason or another, there are a lot of mosquitos in the bio filter. Every time I open the top of the filter there were a lot of mosquitos flying out. It seems that the lavas got through the pump into the filter and reside there.
      This stuff is very useful: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001AUF8G

It'll last a good long while.

Thanks,

Bill

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

@Steve, oops I missed one of your question. Yes the cover is always closed.

-=[Sunny]=-

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Wlantry View Post
      This stuff is very useful: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001AUF8G

It'll last a good long while.

Thanks,

Bill
      Is it safe for fish? As I looked at it, it is not telling me, or I don’t see it.

-=[Sunny]=-

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Once you pump the water to the bio barrel, you are no longer "pumping" and your filter is
      using gravity to flow and produce the waterfall. If you're unable to flow much it means your
      filter probably isn't high enough over the level of the water in the planter/waterfall. How much difference
      in height is there between the outlet of the bio filter and the water level in the planter/waterfall?

My sieve gets little gnats hatching in it too. They make mosquito dunks that work really well. I use
      them in my 10 gallon containers I have some lilies in. I've never used them in my sieve for the gnats...
      not sure if it would work on them or not. Is the filter covered? I know when I put a cover on my sieve,
      that's when the gnats appear. Very few of them show up if I leave the lid off.
      OK! As of last night bio filter raised up, took some doing and a few hours of figuring the piping but it was done. the water flows looks a lot better now, and the water level in the filter doesn't goes all the way to the top of the barrel. I did how ever changed out the pump, getting ready to install retro BD. Yes Steve, I had talked with you on this many times and I finally got the parts to do it. Well, not all I still needs to go pick up some corner piping, since the one that I was going to use for it got repurposed.

I also added height inside the barrel to the outlet to makes the water level higher too. (per my local breeder recommendation, the one that got me started with this filter) I also put an air stone inside the filter too to generate more oxygen in the filter, since biofilter need oxygen. I am leaving the lit open and not keeping it close/seal anymore like before, only place the cap on top so nothing falls into it.
      -=[Sunny]=-

more!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Is it safe for fish? As I looked at it, it is not telling me, or I don’t see it.
      Mine don't seem to mind. It's just bacillus thuringiensis with an inert carrier. I don't put it where they can eat it: it just needs to be in the water column somewhere. I only use it because I don't have a cover on my filter... I have live plants in there.

Thanks,

Bill

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Mine don't seem to mind. It's just bacillus thuringiensis with an inert carrier. I don't put it where they can eat it: it just needs to be in the water column somewhere. I only use it because I don't have a cover on my filter... I have live plants in there.

Thanks,

Bill
      Thanks, BTW I found out that it wasn't the mosquitos, it's those small flies. that's probably why my koi didn't bother to eat the lavas. I forgot the name of it.
      -=[Sunny]=-

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

more!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Thanks, BTW I found out that it wasn't the mosquitos, it's those small flies. that's probably why my koi didn't bother to eat the lavas. I forgot the name of it.
      I don't know, might still work. Some greenhouse folks use it to control fungus gnats in potting soil. I wouldn't want to be breeding flies in one of my filters.

Thanks,

Bill

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Here is the video of the bio filter after it was raised up higher. Oh yeah, the bottle is there to hold up the pipe. It's part of the decoration designs.

-=[Sunny]=-

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

I don't know, might still work. Some greenhouse folks use it to control fungus gnats in potting soil. I wouldn't want to be breeding flies in one of my filters.

Thanks,

Bill
      I think after redid the bio filter moved, it solved the problems. The water flows in the filter is a lot better now.
      -=[Sunny]=-

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007