• Tired
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Major Problems with Koi dying!

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by ademink View Post
      Any chance you have a KH kit? Your pH appears to be at 7.4...dancing right on the edge of low...ammonia is present. As kdh noticed above, we have no nitrite reading. This will give us an indication of what's happening w/ your cyling, etc.

Can you test your pH asap so we can get an early morning reading?
      Here is the morning read.

Name:  IMG_1063.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  92.9 KB
      Last edited by EmeraldDragon; 06-17-2021 at 10:01 AM.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kevins2ooo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Do you have an overstock pond? Do you QT your new fish, plants before putting in your pond?

msegger is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

As kdh asked, Koi dont like high water temperatures. Also leaning towards something happened to your bio filtration.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

kh and water temps (hottest part of day). check your ph close to dusk

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by msegger View Post
      As kdh asked, Koi dont like high water temperatures. Also leaning towards something happened to your bio filtration.
      I think it the heat too, but I am not sure. It had been hot here in the afternoon.

Not sure what you meant by that on bio filter. It looks and works fine, as far as I knows. I did cleaned it yesterday with the WC there were a lot of mosquitoes lavas and mosquitoes in there when I open the top up. (always do)

Quote Originally Posted by kevins2ooo View Post
      Do you have an overstock pond? Do you QT your new fish, plants before putting in your pond?
      EDIT: It probably was overstock, I had 10 Koi and 1 Wakin and now I am down to 6 Koi and 1 Wakin.

It probably my bad that I didn't QT my new fish the last time, I should have. No new plants, I actually took one out.
      Last edited by EmeraldDragon; 06-17-2021 at 02:52 PM.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldDragon View Post
      I think it the heat too, but I am not sure. It had been hot here in the afternoon.

Not sure what you meant by that on bio filter. It looks and works fine, as far as I knows. I did cleaned it yesterday with the WC there were a lot of mosquitoes lavas and mosquitoes in there when I open the top up. (always do)

It probably was overstock, I had 10 Koi and 1 Wakin and now I am down to 5 Koi and 1 Wakin.

It probably my bad that I didn't QT my new fish the last time, I should have. No new plants, I actually took one out.
      Take a temperature reading at about 3 pm in pond and also tell us the outside temp !! Also ph reading when you take the water temp 3pm. And still need the kh. It's all important. Also need temp first thing in the early morning of pond. !!

So I have moved from ammonia is not the problem in earlier posting to ammonia is the problem with more information added. My mistake
      Last edited by kdh; 06-17-2021 at 02:39 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      Take a temperature reading at about 3 pm in pond and also tell us the outside temp !! Also ph reading when you take the water temp 3pm. And still need the kh. It's all important. Also need temp first thing in the early morning of pond. !!

So I have moved from ammonia is not the problem in earlier posting to ammonia is the problem with more information added. My mistake
      I don't have the water temperature reader. (need to get one) Current temperature here now (noon) is at 84 degree and by 3pm it will (or should gets to) 91 degree. That has been what temperature around here. (more or less) I will check about 3pm to see what is the exact temperature then.

kh is at 180, just in case you need gh it's also at 180. (They are both always between 120 and 180)
      Last edited by EmeraldDragon; 06-17-2021 at 02:53 PM.
      -=[Sunny]=-

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldDragon View Post
      I don't have the water temperature reader. (need to get one) Current temperature here now (noon) is at 84 degree and by 3pm it will (or should gets to) 91 degree. That has been what temperature around here. (more or less) I will check about 3pm to see what is the exact temperature then.

kh is at 180, just in case you need gh it's also at 180. (They are both always between 120 and 180)
      You can get a pool thermometer at pool place or fish store. There cheap and need water temps

Your kh and gh are good numbers. So possible crash is eliminated. Still would like to see ph reading at dusk so can compare to the one this morning.
      Last edited by kdh; 06-17-2021 at 03:08 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

You can get a pool thermometer at pool place or fish store. There cheap and need water temps
      Yeah, I planning to go get that. I keep forgetting to get it every time I stopped by PetSmart, I was there yesterday looking for something else. LOL!
      -=[Sunny]=-

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Any thermometer will work.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

SouthernStarr is offline Administrator
      is Loving Florida sunshine

Feeling:
      Happy

Lowe’s and Walmart have pool thermometers also.

Proud Member Of The WWKC
      WWKC Lifetime Diamond Charter Member #6

Koiphen 2022 Koi Person of the year

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Any thermometer will work.
      Quote Originally Posted by SouthernStarr View Post
      Lowe’s and Walmart have pool thermometers also.
      Just got it at PetSmart. Water temperature right now at 1:30pm is at 75.7 degrees, outside temperature is at 88 degrees.

I did, however, this morning put an umbrella up this morning to block the sun from the pond.
      Last edited by EmeraldDragon; 06-17-2021 at 04:34 PM.
      -=[Sunny]=-

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Last edited by kdh; 06-17-2021 at 05:22 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

I have taken the umbrella down and the water temperature is at 76.2 degrees @3pm. Outside temp is at 90.
      -=[Sunny]=-

NaturalK is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yea, I don't think temperature is the problem. My air temp under full shade is 94 so it's even hotter under the sun but my koi are great. I think you're overfeeding, pH fluctuation, or disease. The gills look intact and no graying so that looks fine. Cut down your feeding until you get more bio going.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalK View Post
      Yea, I don't think temperature is the problem. My air temp under full shade is 94 so it's even hotter under the sun but my koi are great. I think you're overfeeding, pH fluctuation, or disease. The gills look intact and no graying so that looks fine. Cut down your feeding until you get more bio going.

Could it be the gills in #11 you are observing as intact?
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalK View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      Could it be the gills in #11 you are observing as intact?
      Yeah, #11, that's Steve's picture as my references to take the picture. Mine was post #12.
      -=[Sunny]=-

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The koi died from ammonia spike . The pic of the one fish with all the dark areas is ammonia burns. So ammonia poisoning attacks the gills and other parts of the koi. The gills as Ademink stated turn pale shortly after death. But I wanted to see if there was a bacterial issue. Even after death you can see damage from bacterial gill disease.
      The koi were exposed to temp fluctuations and temp fluctuations from large water changes. Ammonia and nitrite. Nitrite is more toxic with lower ph. So his being 7.5 did not help and even added more stress. Any chemicals added with ammonia poisoning is ill advised.
      The koi that are damaged the most well continue to die as there is no cure for ammonia poisoning (gill damage etc. The koi that survive well recover. However depending on the extent of the damage. They could succumb to other parasite bacterial issues in the future. Time well tell as they work there way through being stressed over a long time period.
      The new koi added probably died first as they were all ready stressed with bagging, handling, shipping and introduced to a new environment with different water. Basically thrown into the ammonia,nitrite temp changes. They had no chance to try and adjust to any parameter changes. The umbrella stays up.
      Just my thoughts and I could be wrong. Im not an expert.
      Last edited by kdh; 06-18-2021 at 07:26 AM.

quan3t is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If I were you i'll stop all feeding for 2 weeks (if you have not already done so). Do a 10% WC daily and add Prime Safe. Wait for your new filter to establish then you can resume feeding slowly. Like I mentioned in your other post you have way too many fish in a small pond with 4 being newly added right at the same time of a new filter being installed.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by quan3t View Post
      If I were you i'll stop all feeding for 2 weeks (if you have not already done so). Do a 10% WC daily and add Prime Safe. Wait for your new filter to establish then you can resume feeding slowly. Like I mentioned in your other post you have way too many fish in a small pond with 4 being newly added right at the same time of a new filter being installed.
      I have stopped feeding as of yesterday and have been doing WC. But not on a daily basis, every other day @20 to 30% ish.

I am being told to leave everything alone and let them be, so they don’t get stressed out. Won”t the WC interrupted them in their natural state and stressed them out? Just wondering. I want to make sure before I jumped in and do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -=[Sunny]=-

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast