• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: PP 2 PPM indefinitely?

Koi Rodgers is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

PP 2 PPM indefinitely?

Anyone else run across this paper published by the University of Florida regarding the use of PP?
      Safe to use 2ppm indefinitely?
      Not that I would, just wondering what you all think?
      Cheers

http://fisheries.tamu.edu/files/2013...Fish-Ponds.pdf

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

montwila is offline Supporting Member
      is Busy

Feeling:
      Tired

I think you may be interpreting or trying to apply this paper different from how I would look at it.

The word they use in this paper is "indefinite" Not indefinitely. To me that simply means that there is no prescribed time period for the treatment. The paper then goes on to explain the test (sampling) for a 15 minute treatment. The determination for this is: which of the 5 samples is still pink after the 15 minutes. The paper does mention two treatment levels and 2 ppm is one of the common levels mentioned.

This paper to me is for a "natural" pond or "open water" and how to determine the amount of PP needed using color as the determining factor prior to application. Not very scientific, where we might want to know the ORP level during treatment in a closed RAS system.

I think this paper was written simply to help Aquaculture to determine the amount of PP that might be needed as a guide for use in open water not our smaller RAS systems. I would be hopeful, that the amount of organics would be much lower in our hobby and "ponds" than Aquaculture open water bodies of water. Especially when they are measured in acre feet. If you have a koi pond that big then well then maybe this article would be helpful.

I think you also answered your own thoughts with "Not that I would,..." Any oxidizer for a long period of time is going to damage the gill lamelle. Over time the Lamelle that repairs itself is going to appear "clubbed" or thickened when viewed under a microscope. This will slow the transfer of DO in the water to the blood for use in the koi's body. Another consideration is the slime coat is also being oxidized and thus lowering the koi's own defense to parasites and pathogens. So a sustained amount of oxidizer (beyond the DO level) must be carefully weighed before being used.

I must admit, I do use color as my guide when using PP. I do not redose PP the same day. I usually dose every other day if more than one treatment is required meaning it does not stay pink or purple for more than 4 hours the first day. Then I treat up to three times (over 5 days) until it stays "pinkish" for more than 6 hours as the water will have tannins left over from the previous treatments. I also seldom go over 2 ppm as a starting dose.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007