• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Water Lily ID Help Needed

TJeep is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Water Lily ID Help Needed

I'm trying to ID this water lily. It's on a 12" plant shelf and seems to like that depth. It also appears to be a very aggressive growing lily. I planted it late last fall and already have 3 new "sprouts" this year that likely need to be divided soon. I did take a picture with a penny on the leaf for size reference so hopefully that helps as well.

I purchased a Helvola lily, but the flower is taller, growth rate is faster, Flower and leaves are bigger, and leaves are more solid green then what I would have expected from Helvola. I'm thinking it might actually be a dwarf Mexicana, maybe??? Or maybe it is a Helvola???

If I can answer any other questions to help with the ID please just ask. Thank you!
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Last edited by TJeep; 06-11-2021 at 11:39 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Is it forming and spreading from runners? N mexicana spreads quite aggressively that way and the pads look awfully large for Helvola. So I'd say N. mexicana is more likely.
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

matherfish is offline Senior Member
      is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

If new plants are started from "banana" looking roots then it is Mexicana, as it has small root tubers that look similar to a hand of bananas, but of course, much smaller. There are hundreds of yellow hardy lilies, and unless it has a very distinguishing trait, it would be impossible to identify it properly. It is not Helvola.
      Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
      See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      ― Zig Ziglar

Koiphen 2019 Koi Person of the Year!

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

If I may offer a caveat....N. mexicana is not the only pond plant to produce a cluster of roots that resemble a bunch of banana. You can find another attractive plant Nymphoides aquatica, sometimes sold as a 'Banana Lily' . It is actually a Nymphoides, generally known as 'Floating Hearts" but the one named Banana Lily is a US native and does not create the invasive problems the introduced species do and do to such an extent they are being prohibited in some states. The most distinctive feature of N. mexicana is that it is the only Nymphaea that can spread by runner and does so relentlessly. It readily jumps pots and if not controlled, can take over a pond.
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

matherfish is offline Senior Member
      is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

I don’t believe The Banana Lily has a bloom as shown in the picture OP posted. It is also not a water lily.
      Last edited by matherfish; 06-11-2021 at 11:13 PM.
      Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
      See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      ― Zig Ziglar

Koiphen 2019 Koi Person of the Year!

TJeep is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
      The most distinctive feature of N. mexicana is that it is the only Nymphaea that can spread by runner and does so relentlessly. It readily jumps pots and if not controlled, can take over a pond.
      This describes what it's doing almost exactly. I emailed the seller asking if they could send me a Helvola Lily. Hopefully they do as we are not huge fans of the current one for a few reasons. Thank you again for both of your advice/input!

Paulzie67 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
      The most distinctive feature of N. mexicana is that it is the only Nymphaea that can spread by runner and does so relentlessly. It readily jumps pots and if not controlled, can take over a pond.
      Thanks Craig. I'm beginning to think that's what mine is too. The flowers are small as are the pads but they are also as round as those posted above. The Leaves most people show me of Helvola are more arrow shaped or pointed with very mottled leaves when young.
      It also seems to produce runners as that's where I just pulled a small start from to try to grow in a smaller bowl. I believe that's also how where Mine came from. The person that gave me mine has a small pond FILLED with it and he just pulled a plant out and snapped off any "runners" from it. I assumed they were just "rhizomes".
      Guess I'll just have to keep it well contained. Hopefully it stays small in the little bowl I moved it to. If not, I'll just have to order a Legit 'Helvola' and keep looking for other small Water Lilies.
      "I read a book about Stockholm Syndrome.
      At first I hated it, but by the end I loved it."
      "If not for mans ability to Mimic, most humans would probably still be living in caves, grunting at each other."

Paulzie67 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

This Video says they're "probably native to Florida"?
      "I read a book about Stockholm Syndrome.
      At first I hated it, but by the end I loved it."
      "If not for mans ability to Mimic, most humans would probably still be living in caves, grunting at each other."

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007