• Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Koi swimming slow and on top

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes bio filtration (bio house)

Flow through is a system were fresh water is always flowing in and pond water back out.

Yes you need more bio if ammonia is constantly present.
      Last edited by kdh; 06-12-2021 at 11:31 AM.

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      Yes bio filtration (bio house)

Flow through is a system were fresh water is always flowing in and pond water back out.

Yes you need more bio if ammonia is constantly present.
      My bio filter is only a few weeks old, it is not fully cycled yet.

I need to work on getting a better flows for my pond. I the pond doesnít have a good flow yet. I am trying to figure out what to do to make it better.

Well, what can I do to increase bio? Since my new bio filter is not fully operational until another 2 or 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -=[Sunny]=-

I have served, I have fought to defends the rights and freedom for all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

Zen's Pond and Garden - The Zen Zone that keeps our sanity alive every day!

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Water hardness shock?

Fish introduced from hard to soft water and vice versa?
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      Water hardness shock?

Fish introduced from hard to soft water and vice versa?
      But we had fishes introduced from the same place before and they were good.

-=[Sunny]=-

I have served, I have fought to defends the rights and freedom for all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

spkennyva is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lots of questions in my mind as to what you have going on. Please don’t take offense, but it really seems like you are very early on the learning curve and therefore you're playing "fast and loose" with some key issues. Here are some things you should take some effort to better understand:

1. Understand what it takes to adequately QT KOI. Russell Peters has an excellent site:
      http://www.pskoi.com/forums/viewtopi...1082737972914b
      This link may be more than needed for your level, but the basic information is still there.

2. Understand the makeup of your feedwater. Municipal water systems always have some form of sanitizer added. These are universally deadly to fish. Therefore, if you're running untreated Municipal water through your pond, you may be making things worse. There are many variables, but it is essential to first know what's present in the water you are adding.

3. Aeration is almost always beneficial. lt doesn't need to be in the display portion of your pond, but small ponds usually don't have other options. I would not run a koi pond without some kind of aeration. I consider this a fundamental element for a koi pond.

4. Never add new koi to a pond that doesn't have a seasoned boifilter. Doing so almost always ends badly.

5. Always test pond water prior to adding new fish, and then periodically over the next couple of weeks until things have stabilized and you're confident that your bio has accommodated the new load.

6. Until you have a lot more experience, make only small changes to any system that is currently healthy and performing well.

Best of luck moving forward.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by spkennyva View Post
      Lots of questions in my mind as to what you have going on. Please donít take offense, but it really seems like you are very early on the learning curve and therefore you're playing "fast and loose" with some key issues. Here are some things you should take some effort to better understand:

1. Understand what it takes to adequately QT KOI. Russell Peters has an excellent site:
      http://www.pskoi.com/forums/viewtopi...1082737972914b
      This link may be more than needed for your level, but the basic information is still there.

2. Understand the makeup of your feedwater. Municipal water systems always have some form of sanitizer added. These are universally deadly to fish. Therefore, if you're running untreated Municipal water through your pond, you may be making things worse. There are many variables, but it is essential to first know what's present in the water you are adding.

3. Aeration is almost always beneficial. lt doesn't need to be in the display portion of your pond, but small ponds usually don't have other options. I would not run a koi pond without some kind of aeration. I consider this a fundamental element for a koi pond.

4. Never add new koi to a pond that doesn't have a seasoned boifilter. Doing so almost always ends badly.

5. Always test pond water prior to adding new fish, and then periodically over the next couple of weeks until things have stabilized and you're confident that your bio has accommodated the new load.

6. Until you have a lot more experience, make only small changes to any system that is currently healthy and performing well.

Best of luck moving forward.
      Thanks for the information. I definitely wonít take offense, I am still learning and always will learn more and more. As they say, you never stop learning.

I think #3 may have been one of my problem. I have added air pump yesterday and it looks like the rest of the Koi are doing better and not hiding as much.

-=[Sunny]=-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12