• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koi swimming slow and on top

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      is dazed and confused!

Feeling:
      Sad

Koi swimming slow and on top

This morning one of my koi was swimming very slow and swimming on top of the pond. It skin looks like it was peeling a little bit at first, but I was not quite sure. But it has been very slow and sluggish. Not like the other koi. We have treated it with salts for about half an hour and put it back into the pond, and it looks a little better. But still swimming on top of the pond. We are not sure what is wrong with it.

Name:  IMG_1027.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  24.7 KBName:  IMG_1028.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  10.2 KB
      -=[Sunny]=-

I have served, I have fought to defends the rights and freedom for all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

Zen's Pond and Garden - The Zen Zone that keeps our sanity alive every day!

is dazed and confused!

Feeling:
      Sad

Oh, BTW I also did the 15% WC after we found out that it acting that way, the rest of the koi are perfectly fine.

Water test results after the WC:

GH = 120
      KH = 180
      pH = 7.5 or 8.0 (it's hard to tell)
      NO2 = 0.5
      NO3 = 20

Sorry, I forgot to check it beforehand.
      -=[Sunny]=-

I have served, I have fought to defends the rights and freedom for all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

Nuspeed007 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You should pull that tosai out and put it in a hospital tank environment. Don't feed, keep the water warm between 20C-25C with air stone.
      https://www.kodamakoifarm.com/benefi...should-use-it/
      How Much Salt Do I Use In Koi Pond?
      The dosage varies from 0.3%–0.6% salt level for treating illness.
      Otherwise for consistent use, 1 kg (2.2 lb) of salt per every 1000 liters (265 gallons) of water, which makes approximately a 0.1% salt water solution.
      I recommend you start with 0.3% and gradually raise it to 0.5% as needed. 0.6% is recommended only when your Koi seems to be very stressed or sick. Read more about helping sick koi in this blog article.

Spread out your salt treatment throughout a few days and continue monitoring the salinity levels. You DO NOT want to use too much salt for the safety of your koi, too much can be deadly!
      Remember that salt does not evaporate; and when doing a water change, add your salt based on amount of the water replaced, not the total volume of pond.

is dazed and confused!

Feeling:
      Sad

Quote Originally Posted by Nuspeed007 View Post
      You should pull that tosai out and put it in a hospital tank environment. Don't feed, keep the water warm between 20C-25C with air stone.
      https://www.kodamakoifarm.com/benefi...should-use-it/
      How Much Salt Do I Use In Koi Pond?
      The dosage varies from 0.3%0.6% salt level for treating illness.
      Otherwise for consistent use, 1 kg (2.2 lb) of salt per every 1000 liters (265 gallons) of water, which makes approximately a 0.1% salt water solution.
      I recommend you start with 0.3% and gradually raise it to 0.5% as needed. 0.6% is recommended only when your Koi seems to be very stressed or sick. Read more about helping sick koi in this blog article.

Spread out your salt treatment throughout a few days and continue monitoring the salinity levels. You DO NOT want to use too much salt for the safety of your koi, too much can be deadly!
      Remember that salt does not evaporate; and when doing a water change, add your salt based on amount of the water replaced, not the total volume of pond.
      I did not put any salt in the pond I have separated it and put salt in a separate container, my DW was the one that did the salt treatment. She did not put much salt to it. I will have to bring it out of the pond again and put it separately and treat it. Since I have already put it back earlier.
      -=[Sunny]=-

quan3t is online now Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You probably have an ammonia spike. From what I can recall from your posts you have 10+ koi in a 500gal pond with 4 new koi and a new filter you just put in. That look like one of the koi you just put in last week. With the temperature warning up significantly lately your bio load will skyrocket. What your ammonia test #?
      Last edited by quan3t; 1 Week Ago at 07:22 AM.

is dazed and confused!

Feeling:
      Sad

Well, it looks like it doesn't matters now. The Tosai died last night. I did see it until late last night before I went to bed. I need to get the ammonia test kit. I don't have one, I have been meaning to go get it.
      -=[Sunny]=-

is dazed and confused!

Feeling:
      Sad

Quote Originally Posted by quan3t View Post
      You probably have an ammonia spike. From what I can recall from your posts you have 10+ koi in a 500gal pond with 4 new koi and a new filter you just put in. That look like one of the koi you just put in last week. With the temperature warning up significantly lately your bio load will skyrocket. What your ammonia test #?
      Oh crapped! I have been noticing after the WC that the water in the pond starts forming up and bubbling. I think my two big Koi might be spawning (or trying to), they have been acting weird for the past three weeks or so. Chasing each other going around in circle (kind of) and staying next to each other all the time now.

Just from reading your post about ammonia spike, I think that is what causing my Tosai to died.

I am going to go get the master test kit today so I can check the ammonia before I do another WC.
      -=[Sunny]=-

quan3t is online now Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I suggest to go ahead and do another 10% WC and if you have not already done so you need to stop feeding until you have all your parameters checked again and they are back to good #.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm guessing your tosai died from parasite or bacterial issue.

is dazed and confused!

Feeling:
      Sad

Quote Originally Posted by quan3t View Post
      I suggest to go ahead and do another 10% WC and if you have not already done so you need to stop feeding until you have all your parameters checked again and they are back to good #.
      I am planning to do another 10 - 15% WC today and I have stopped feeding the rest of the Koi since last night.

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      I'm guessing your tosai died from parasite or bacterial issue.
      That could possibly be, I am not sure.
      -=[Sunny]=-

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

I'd test the source water too.
      What do you use for dechlor when doing water changes?
      --Steve

is dazed and confused!

Feeling:
      Sad

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      I'd test the source water too.
      What do you use for dechlor when doing water changes?
      The source water is tap water from the backyard faucet, but I have not done WC until yesterday. But I never had problems with the source water before. I did however added less than 1% of water in because the water was going down (dehydrated from the heat), other than that I have not done anything to the pond.

I used API Pond Chlorine & Heavy metal Neutralizer every time I do WC.
      -=[Sunny]=-

kevins2ooo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am thinking parasites...I did not QT my new tosai this year and the result was a big headache.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevins2ooo View Post
      I am thinking parasites...I did not QT my new tosai this year and the result was a big headache.
      You can see the sunken eye and different issues below the lateral line in pic.
      Source water would not be the issue as the other koi are having no problems.

is dazed and confused!

Feeling:
      Sad

Today, my Gin Rin starting to do the same thing. My friends was asking if it is aeration problems. Since I have more Koi now in the pond. I also made the modification to my waterfall that might general less aeration for the pond. Her told me to put a air pump in the pond to see if it helps.
      -=[Sunny]=-

is dazed and confused!

Feeling:
      Sad

BTW. I did the 15% WC today with the test results:

GH = 180
      KH = 120
      pH = 7.5
      NO2 = 0
      NO3 = 40

After the WC. Looks like Gin Rin might not make it. Not sure yet. I have QT it already. BTW, these two are the ones that were hiding a few days ago and don't come out at all too.
      Last edited by EmeraldDragon; 1 Week Ago at 06:19 PM.
      -=[Sunny]=-

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

what is your ammonia reading?

is dazed and confused!

Feeling:
      Sad

The reading looks like 1.0. The Gin Rin died this afternoon.

Name:  IMG_1030.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  36.9 KB
      -=[Sunny]=-

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Your options are

Reduce fish population
      Larger bio house
      Much larger pond
      Large flow through system

Temporary fix for now

Ammonia binder

I seriously doubt ammonia is the issue in killing your koi. However could be a stressor that leads to parasites and bacterial issues.

Were the two koi that died purchased at the same time?
      Last edited by kdh; 6 Days Ago at 10:28 AM.

is dazed and confused!

Feeling:
      Sad

Your options are

Reduce fish population
      Larger bio house
      Much larger pond
      Large flow through system
      Reduce fish population = Don't know if that will happens, but now we are down to 9 (8 Koi and 1 Wakin) I am not planning to add anymore at this time.
      Larger bio house = Are you talking about BIO Filtration?
      Much larger pond = That probably not gong to happens anytime soon. I just got this one built.
      Large flow through system = Same as the other question ^^, also did you meant water circulation? Because since I have changed my filtration to 55 gallons biofilter the water flow through is a lot better thou. Do I need to add more?

Temporary fix for now

Ammonia binder

I seriously doubt ammonia is the issue in killing your koi. However could be a stressor that leads to parasites and bacterial issues.
      It might be so, as I said these two and one more Koi hided all the time. The Gin Rin hide the most, they might be stressed out.

Were the two koi that died purchased at the same time?
      Yes they are purchased at the same time along with the other two. But the other two seems fine, at least from what I can tell.
      -=[Sunny]=-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast