• Tired

Thread: Air pump question

ChagoiLover is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Air pump question

Hello everyone!
      I recently decided to move towards a moving bed with 3 cubic feet of k1 and in doing so I bought a new air pump the Hakko 80l. I want to run this into 2 aerators in my pond and the moving bed, but was wondering what aerator disc I would need. Evidently, I hope to push more air into the moving bed and less into the pond aerator, but I'm not sure what size air disc I would need to make sure I won't exert back pressure. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do or any experience? Thank you!

cottagefog is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have 12" Matala discs and a couple of their bases that are designed for their discs. They work very well, and run 24/7 for several years now. No issues.

I also have the Hakko 80 running those discs. Build yourself a manifold so you can tweak the bubbles and direct where you want the most air.

I dont know your set up so there is a lot to consider here. Depth, distance, etc.

You might have your moving bed boiling just right but not have enough ooomf to aerate your pond.

My vote is for Matala. I dont think ou will be dissapointed.

batman is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I don't remember the exact backpressure number but when I researched this a few years back Matala had the lowest air restriction out of 4 different ones looked up.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Does air resistance only depend on the company though? Does the size air disc not correlate to resistance as well? For example, Matala 9 inch versus a competitors 12 inch?

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      ~ 2021 KPOTY
      is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by ChagoiLover View Post
      Hello everyone!
      I recently decided to move towards a moving bed with 3 cubic feet of k1 and in doing so I bought a new air pump the Hakko 80l. I want to run this into 2 aerators in my pond and the moving bed, but was wondering what aerator disc I would need. Evidently, I hope to push more air into the moving bed and less into the pond aerator, but I'm not sure what size air disc I would need to make sure I won't exert back pressure. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do or any experience? Thank you!
      When I was using moving bed filters I built a couple like this that used a difuser:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...uid-Bed-Filter

After making some mods they worked great and the disks provided plenty of air to keep the media suspended.
      --Steve
      ..WWKC Treasurer

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Does air resistance only depend on the company though? Does the size air disc not correlate to resistance as well? For example, Matala 9 inch versus a competitors 12 inch?
      Disks will have a recommended air flow ratings range. Larger disks have greater diffuser areas and allow greater air flows. Then there are differences in the bubble size produced per mfg model. Bubble size determined by rubber thickness, slit or hole size and rubber elasticity. Some of the diffusers being sold for pond use were developed for waste water treatment where they use massive high horsepower blowers for air. Higher backpressure but last a long time. Not ideal for our small low pressure pond air pumps. Not all being sold for pond use publish backpressure data.

Matala diffusers are also sold to treatment plants but are performance matched to typical hobby pond pumps.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by batman; 06-10-2021 at 07:55 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
      Disks will have a recommended air flow ratings range. Larger disks have greater diffuser areas and allow greater air flows. Then there are differences in the bubble size produced per mfg model. Bubble size determined by rubber thickness, slit or hole size and rubber elasticity. Some of the diffusers being sold for pond use were developed for waste water treatment where they use massive high horsepower blowers for air. Higher backpressure but last a long time. Not ideal for our small low pressure pond air pumps. Not all being sold for pond use publish backpressure data.

Matala diffusers are also sold to treatment plants but are performance matched to typical hobby pond pumps.
      Thank you for the recommendation, but I don't I will be pushing out 60 lpm, so I resorted to the pawfly 8 inch disc on Amazon. Was wondering if you ever heard or any opinions on this?

Nuspeed007 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am using a Fuji Mac 80lpm to boil a 55 gallon drum MBBR (40-45 lpm) with 4-5 CF of K4 and enough air left to run 4 air stones in 3ft deep. You need to build air manifold out of 1/2" PVC with 2 valves, one for the MBBR and one for the aerate stones in the pond.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Thank you for the recommendation, but I don't I will be pushing out 60 lpm, so I resorted to the pawfly 8 inch disc on Amazon. Was wondering if you ever heard or any opinions on this?
      1 x PAWLY 8" EQUALS +- 28LITERS PER MINUTE According to spec on Amazon, as I read it.

Should you not then be using 2 or 3 x 8"air stones for your 60 liter air pump.

With 1/2 " ID hose/tubing
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      1 x PAWLY 8" EQUALS +- 28LITERS PER MINUTE According to spec on Amazon, as I read it.

Should you not then be using 2 or 3 x 8"air stones for your 60 liter air pump.

With 1/2 " ID hose/tubing
      I plan on using 2 of these in the pond (about 25lpm each), with a larger air disc in my moving bed doing 50lpm because the hakko 80 does 100lpm.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

These appear to be air stones and fine bubble. Must likely higher back pressure. Plus calcium builds up in air stones and they must be cleaned by mild acid, iron out, CLR, etc. to maintain air flow. A good self cleaning rubber disk will have less backpressure and maintenance.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I may just use a bleed valve in case there is extra back pressure. Thank you for the help!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I ended up purchasing the weighted matala air diffusers the MD7W