• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Louisiana Iris - Any Planting Concerns???

TJeep is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Louisiana Iris - Any Planting Concerns???

I have read that some reed plants can damage your EPMD pond liner. I also saw that the Yellow Flag Iris can be a potential problem as well. Ironically there is not much mention of the Blue Flag or Louisiana Iris.

All of that background to get to my question which is to ask: Is there anything I should be aware of before planing a Louisiana Iris directly into my rock ring w/o a pot?

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

I have some of the yellow Louisiana Iris around my pond It has spread over 30 foot it never did damage any liner that I know of but it can attach itself too rocks pretty good. Just dont ignor it
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

OK.TN.

TJeep is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by gander View Post
      I have some of the yellow Louisiana Iris around my pond It has spread over 30 foot it never did damage any liner that I know of but it can attach itself too rocks pretty good. Just dont ignor it
      Thank you for the quick reply. I might just limit it to growing only in pots. It'll restrict where I can have it around the pond, but I don't think I want to deal with having to remove it later if it does become a problem. Does the purple Louisiana Iris grow as aggressively as the Yellow?

CraigP is online now Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Part of the confusion may be due to taxonomy/terminology. Iris commonly called 'Blue Flag' are native species, frequently Iris virginica and Iris versicolor. There is no native species of Yellow Flag Iris, that name was mistakenly applied in the aquatic plant industry to Iris pseudacorus which is an invasive species from Europe, Western Asia and North Africa. It is a larger and more aggressive species. Louisiana Iris are a complex of five other closely related US native species and the gorgeous hybrids they produce. I have never had problems controlling the true Flag or Louisiana Iris...but the I. pseudacorus has been banished from my property. < g >

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonl...risFORWEB2.pdf
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

TJeep is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Awesome details! Thank you for sharing.

Based on this (and earlier feedback) I think we are good to go and plan to plant more Louisiana Irises around the rock ring boarders. Thank you again!