• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Spawning, ammonia nitrite up, how much salt?

KoiFan84 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Spawning, how much salt?, PP kill eggs?

Had a pretty big spawning happen this morning. Iím doing flow through water changes. Added Prime too. Ammonia and nitrite still elevated. Checked Koiphen Quick Links. Saw a few different recommendations for ratio of salt to gallons to help with nitrite. Iím going to get Diamond Crystal Solar Salt. Pond is 3200 gallons. Thoughts on ratio? Is 1 pound to 100 gallons about right? Proper way to mix and add salt to the pond?

Also, I donít want baby koi. Is Potassium permanganate the only way to safely kill eggs and just born fry? Is there something safer? Thanks!
      Last edited by KoiFan84; 05-24-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Orlando is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How big was the female that spawned?

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      ~ 2021 KPOTY
      is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by KoiFan84 View Post
      Had a pretty big spawning happen this morning. Iím doing flow through water changes. Added Prime too. Ammonia and nitrite still elevated. Checked Koiphen Quick Links. Saw a few different recommendations for ratio of salt to gallons to help with nitrite. Iím going to get Diamond Crystal Solar Salt. Pond is 3200 gallons. Thoughts on ratio? Is 1 pound to 100 gallons about right? Proper way to mix and add salt to the pond?

Also, I donít want baby koi. Is Potassium permanganate the only way to safely kill eggs and just born fry? Is there something safer? Thanks!
      If using drip tests it will still show ammonia after adding the binder as it's just converting NH3 (dangerous) to NH4.
      The ammonia isn't gone it's just converted.
      To prevent brown blood disease from nitrites you need about .1% salt.
      Salt calculator is here:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/koicalcs.php?do=calcsalt

So figuring current salinity is 0%, to get to .1% in 3200 gallons you'd need 26.705 lbs. of salt.
      I usually add it gradually in the skimmers and waterfall.
      --Steve
      ..WWKC Treasurer

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

26 inches

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      If using drip tests it will still show ammonia after adding the binder as it's just converting NH3 (dangerous) to NH4.
      The ammonia isn't gone it's just converted.
      To prevent brown blood disease from nitrites you need about .1% salt.
      Salt calculator is here:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/koicalcs.php?do=calcsalt

So figuring current salinity is 0%, to get to .1% in 3200 gallons you'd need 26.705 lbs. of salt.
      I usually add it gradually in the skimmers and waterfall.
      Thanks!

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Dont worry about it. Do a water change and move on. Your bio filter will take care of it. Don't feed for a couple of days.
      https://koiorganisationinternational...i-get-rid-them

SimonW is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

100-fold more chloride ion is sufficient. As NaCl it means roughly 150-fold more.

So if you have 1 ppm nitrite, 150 ppm NaCl is enough, which means 0.015%.

(I am quite experienced with using NaCl to remedy nitrite, as I have been using NaCl against nitrite for 2 years now. Since this March I have been reducing NaCl from 0.1% down to 0.015%, as I need the water to my plants therefore the NaCl must be as low as possible)

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Seems odd for nitrite to jump up the day of the spawn. Anyway, the adults should eat most of the eggs. You can use a pool net to dip out a lot of eggs. That will help with water quality and stopping fry development. If you have any little koi, like say 4-8Ē, they will help eat eggs adult miss and tiny fry that hatch. Some fry may make it through, but probably not many, if any.

Roddy Conrad is online now The Koiphen Chemist
      is Graduated again with a
      Master’s in Environme

Feeling:
      Awesome

PP or potassium permanganate will not kill eggs or prevent fry. My observation is that Pp treatment is often followed the next day by spawning activity so PP treatment causes fry to appear. The fry appear in my settling tanks because in the koi pond the koi eat the fry.
      Still using potassium permanganate to regularly clean up the pond and the koi. Have developed a package of age regression technology to become younger instead of older. Doing great! Finished a Masterís degree in Environmental Science Dec 14, 2020, to round out my PhD in chemistry in 1967.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy Conrad View Post
      PP or potassium permanganate will not kill eggs or prevent fry. My observation is that Pp treatment is often followed the next day by spawning activity so PP treatment causes fry to appear. The fry appear in my settling tanks because in the koi pond the koi eat the fry.
      https://koiorganisationinternational...i-get-rid-them

??

Roddy Conrad is online now The Koiphen Chemist
      is Graduated again with a
      Master’s in Environme

Feeling:
      Awesome

Fry do not survive in the pond with the koi, so the conclusion that the PP killed the eggs is an invalid conclusion. When I do more PP, the eggs collected in the settling tanks in my filter system become fry through multiple PP treatments- that happened 5 times in 2020 and each time I caught the fry in the settling tank and threw them in the main pond when they were “too big to be eaten” by the large koi.
      That pandemic practice resulted in us giving away more than 50 koi at 10 to 20 inches long two weeks ago from the fry saved from the filter system during the pandemic.
      The pandemic is over and I am back on the road doing business, but that is a separate subject.
      Still using potassium permanganate to regularly clean up the pond and the koi. Have developed a package of age regression technology to become younger instead of older. Doing great! Finished a Masterís degree in Environmental Science Dec 14, 2020, to round out my PhD in chemistry in 1967.