• Tired
  • Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, we started digging

GSD is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looking for a complete pond kit

So i found this kit, only thing is it doesn't come with UV. I dont know what UV would work with this. Can someone recommend a UV that would work with this kit or maybe someone knows of a better kit (but affordable) that has everything in it?

I was going to do 12x10x4 pond but my local place that sells koi, supplies and also builds them said "Do not go 4' they can over winter just fine in 28 inches. Any deeper than that and then you run into issues with home insurances saying its like a pool and then we would have to install fences around it"

They have a round pond that was 12 ft across and that looked like a nice size to me, dont want to go big as we plan on moving within a few years. So I think i will do 12 ft round and 3ft deep.

Anyway.. how does this kit look? I definitely need a kit.. something that all works and plays nice together lol and that I dont have to over think. Lol

Name:  Screenshot_20210516-121523_Chrome.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  57.2 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well, we started digging

Its going to be a 12' round pond. Average depth of 3 ft, the center I'll go a little deeper.

I started edging and digging. Then my father came over with the bobcat. He helped a lottttttt but I still have lots of digging to do or rent a mini backhoe thingy.

We also have a power outlet from the pool that used to be here but it's not the same kind of plug. So im guessing I'll need an electrician to come switch it.

Excuse the fence, were replacing it little by little. Lol

Name:  20210516_174423.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  317.5 KB
      Name:  20210516_174438.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  325.2 KB
      Name:  20210516_182730.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  334.7 KB

CharlieQ is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Do ur self a favor now, go 4 to 5 deep for u will regret it later.

msegger is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

welcome - are you going with a liner? if so, folds will be hard to hide.

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieQ View Post
      Do ur self a favor now, go 4 to 5 deep for u will regret it later.
      I say 5' deep would be better. Especially if you are Koi keeping for winter time.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I strongly suggest doing a lot of reading here on the pond builds, especially in https://www.koiphen.com/forums/forum...and-Filtration. Summed up, no one uses pond kits; they use cheap parts that aren't up to the task. A XXXX gallon pond setup that's both reliable and low maintenance will run at least $1.50/gallon if you do all the work yourself. Many people believe they can get away with less but that's the reality.
      Last edited by kimini; 05-17-2021 at 11:39 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

But the problem is, i dont know what parts go with what. A kit is something i can easily understand and put together. And im almost finished with digging my hole so I'll need the stuff soon, preferably before a heavy rain. (Slams head into the wall lol)

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I was told by a local koi company (well kinda local, about 25 mins away) NOT to go any deeper than 28 inches. Said koi can over winter just fine at that depth. The man said if you go deeper, then i will need a fence around it because home owners insurance will consider it a pool. I figured 28" was WAY too shallow so i figured i could sneak it in at 3' but have a little deeper at one side or in the middle (havent decided that yet)

And yes, going with a liner. Kinda too late to worry about folds now, the hole is almost finished and if I attempt to straighten it into a square, it will cost way more for filtration, liner etc. And i wanted to go bigger originally but some people last fall said because i plan on moving in a few years. Dont go too big.

Also, i was planning on buying a kit. But someone on here said they arent good. But i have no idea what to order that works with eachother. I wouldnt have started digging this soon had I known kits were no good.

The local koi company has a pond set up, exact size as im building 12' round and he just has a waterfall with a filter in it and a skimmer with a uv, a pump and filter stuff in it. Said that was pretty much all i needed. So i figured oh easy enough, i will buy a kit online.

So i either buy the kit and hope I have as good of luck as that koi place or i could definitely use some help with recommendations on what to buy that works together..

Kinda feeling discouraged

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok question.. could I do a pond kit and then add another filter? Like maybe this one? It says it does 5000g. So with koi, id assume it could handle 2500?? No?

Name:  Screenshot_20210517-231631_Chrome.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  45.9 KB

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

It might be a good time to take a step back before going too much further just so you have some sort of plan.
      Rushing to get something done before it rains, that you're going to have to live with until you move, might not
      be the best route.

Having two threads about the same thing is a little confusing. If the filtration "kit" is for this pond, it usually
      works best to have it all in one place. I can combine the two threads if you want.

A kit made by some company assumes a lot. It doesn't know how many koi you have or anything much about
      your pond and they usually way over estimate what their filter will accomplish. The place that has the
      pond you're looking at may have a team of people come in every year and clean it all... are you willing to do that
      if need be? You're looking at that pond as a snapshot in time... you don't live with it all year. It might be a totally
      different beast. Just keep an open mind.

12' x 3' deep will give you about 2500 gallons. How many koi, goldfish, plants, etc., do you envision? By the looks
      of what you're thinking of purchasing you don't plan on using a bottom drain? Do you plan on putting rocks in the pond?

In Washington state, most different counties have different rules about depths and what constitutes a pool (needing a
      fence) and a ornamental pond. I'd check with your building department or HOA for rules. 28" won't allow your fish
      to avoid predators. If you have raccoons and such or birds that like to make a meal out of fish, your pond could be cleaned
      out in less than an hour. 3 ft. might still not be enough and may require either electric fences or netting. Just some things
      to think about that are unpleasant, but sadly a reality.

Try not to be discouraged. Those here are just trying to help you avoid a mistake that you'll either have to live with
      until moving day, or fix after you've built it.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Have you considered the distance you have allowed from the fence on the far side?

28" The temperature fluctuations are too great.

Summer temperatures could be far too high for a fishes likes.

Research koi pond depths and why?
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Good morning icu2, yes please if you can combine the two. I didnt mean to make it confusing lol im headed to work so I dont have time to reply. But will later. Ty

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Merged
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by GSD View Post
      Ok question.. could I do a pond kit and then add another filter? Like maybe this one? It says it does 5000g. So with koi, id assume it could handle 2500?? No?

Name:  Screenshot_20210517-231631_Chrome.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  45.9 KB
      No! Not unless you want to do a lot of maintenance work in the long run. Try to find a filter with backwash, so you can clean it out easily. Better yet, DIY Filter.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

So i found this kit, only thing is it doesn't come with UV. I dont know what UV would work with this. Can someone recommend a UV that would work with this kit or maybe someone knows of a better kit (but affordable) that has everything in it?

I was going to do 12x10x4 pond but my local place that sells koi, supplies and also builds them said "Do not go 4' they can over winter just fine in 28 inches. Any deeper than that and then you run into issues with home insurances saying its like a pool and then we would have to install fences around it"

They have a round pond that was 12 ft across and that looked like a nice size to me, dont want to go big as we plan on moving within a few years. So I think i will do 12 ft round and 3ft deep.

Anyway.. how does this kit look? I definitely need a kit.. something that all works and plays nice together lol and that I dont have to over think. Lol

Name:  Screenshot_20210516-121523_Chrome.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  57.2 KB
      I will guaranteed that you will regret buying it. As everyone here stated, no one used all in one kit to build a pond.
      -=[Sunny]=-

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yeah Im definitely NOT listening to that koi place with only digging 28" even to me, that seemed VERY wrong!

Ok..

Im on the fence with a bottom drain. If i have to have a reservoir for the bd, then no, i wont have one. If i can pipe it into some kinda filter, i definitely would consider one. Otherwise i have no objections to a thorough cleaning every now and then. I enjoy doing stuff like that.

As for rocks, i actually had lots of pea gravel delivered for the bottom (for free) but after i read its not a good idea. So the pea gravel has been gotten rid of.

I do get a lot of shade from the house and from the fence. The sun shines in a few spots where the pond is going, but most of the day its shaded.

I do plan on lots of floating lettuce and hyacinths but will have them in a ring. Also will have some water lilies. Hoping they will do ok with the shade. Its definitely bright tho, id say more indirect light. (I think lol)

I do know i definitely want a UV.

The pond so far on average is about 3.5 ft down. Still have more digging to go to complete the pond. I think the middle will be 4ft deep. HOPING that will be good to over winter them here in CT.

I was looking into the bakki showers, only thing is the prices and how do you make that look natural? I read bakki filters are reallllly good for the bio load. I know i could make one but again.. how do you hide them?

Which brings me to fish load. Not gonna lie, but i know i WILL want more koi than what I have lol. (5 baby koi and a shabunkin) I want as many as I can keep happy and healthy.

I definitely want a waterfall and a skimmer.

Sooooo yeah... I dont know whats next except to keep digging but im taking tonight off, i am worn out. Between my construction job and digging.. i need a break tonight

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oh heres a pic of how far ive gotten. Still have whats marked in red to go and some shaving of some of the sides. Name:  20210519_165946.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  316.0 KB

One Poet's Garden is offline Senior Member
      is Digging. And then digging some
      more!

Feeling:
      Friendly

The pond so far on average is about 3.5 ft down. Still have more digging to go to complete the pond. I think the middle will be 4ft deep. HOPING that will be good to over winter them here in CT.
      You're in Connecticut? I have long experience with Connecticut winters. You need four feet. Seriously.

About the fence: local codes may vary, but every yard with a pond should have a six foot fence around it, especially if you live in a neighborhood. You don't want to have to worry about curious children visiting your pond.

There are plenty of pond plants that will grow in partial shade. Depending on how deep the shade is, you may not get lotus and water lilies to bloom. Maybe just buy one the first year, and see how it goes?

You live in a cooler climate surrounded by deciduous trees. Believe me, you won't enjoy cleaning your pond. Try to plan for low maintenance.

Looking forward to watching your build!

Best,

Bill

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

You might want to take a step back GSD and rethink your plan. As I mentioned in my first post, you should go with 5 ft deep. As everyone here also agreed (I am pretty sure). The winter in CT is pretty cold even I know and I don't even live there. But I do know that the Koi needs the pond to be that deep when it gets that cold to stay warm in the winter. They hibernate down at the bottom approx. at that level or lower. So, you would want your pond to be at least 5 ft deep at the bottom, not 4 ft or less. You'll regret it later, believe me.
      -=[Sunny]=-

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldDragon View Post
      You might want to take a step back GSD and rethink your plan. As I mentioned in my first post, you should go with 5 ft deep. As everyone here also agreed (I am pretty sure). The winter in CT is pretty cold even I know and I don't even live there. But I do know that the Koi needs the pond to be that deep when it gets that cold to stay warm in the winter. They hibernate down at the bottom approx. at that level or lower. So, you would want your pond to be at least 5 ft deep at the bottom, not 4 ft or less. You'll regret it later, believe me.
      Not true !!!!!!!!!!!!! I live next door in Rhode Island, with the same climate , and my koi have been living happily for 20 years in a pond ( s ) that is no more than 30 inches deep. I wouldn't recommend this shallow, but the contractor who put the ponds in designed it this way to avoid the zoning complications of " swimming pool regulations " with deeper water. I have learned a lot from Koiphen, and have added filtration and pump systems which have mitigated the shallow water challenges. I shut down the pump ( except for air pumps ) in the winter , let the ponds freeze over, and the koi make it through just fine.
      I do not advise folks to copy this style because I may be pressing my luck, but 20 years is a pretty good sample size.

You need to be careful in giving advice as an absolute fact, when there may be other options out there that people are doing successfully.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast