• Tired

Thread: Minimal Quarantine for New Koi... HELP

k01fishfam is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Exclamation Minimal Quarantine for New Koi... HELP

Hey everyone! New to the forum.

I'm introducing 3 new koi fish to my large outdoor "koi sanctuary". I have 3 already that are still young - no more then 10".

How is the best way to introduce these 3 with a minimal QT? I know I know I know - I'm going to get a lot of comments telling me how important a thorough QT is. I agree 100% and I know I am taking a risk here. I have a family emergency I need to tend to and the most I can QT is for 1 week. I've tried looking for people to help and am out of options due to some weighing factors. So please as little judgement about that, as I already feel an immense amount of stress not being able to properly QT them on top of whats going on with family. Timin' of things eh? Frankly this sucks and I am very disappointed. Somethings are out of your control and life just happens, gotta go with the flow as best as I can here while trying to be as safe and healthy as possible for the Koi.

What should I look out for?
      Should I treat the water with anything just as a overall anti bacterial treatment (water is not chemically treated at all and I'd like to take precautions but as natural as possible).
      Dip the fish?
      Forget the QT and just let them into the pond?
      QT for the week and do some of what I've mentioned?
      Put a divider in my pond ?!
      HELP PLEASE!

Thank you so much, I appreciate anyone taking the time to help out.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Welcome to Koiphen.

I knows that Quarantine 101 said to quarantined the Koi for two weeks or more. But I have done it without QT, (not recommended) I took my chances when I did that with my Koi. I had Koi size ranging close to your.

Look at your new Koi, see if there is any signs. Does it looks strong? Does it eat when you feed it? I am not sure if your QT is big or small. If it's big, does it swim around as usual? If you answer yes to all, IMHO opinion, personally (in an emergency situation) I would do Minimal QT.

Some of the more experience members might also have better solutions for you.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for the welcome and helpful information. I will give the new Koi a thorough exam (so far looking strong, nothing visually wrong, they're eating, and swimming around in a mellow way, yay fingers crossed!). QT is about 400 gal. I wish I had a darn microscope! Did you use anything in the water if you don't mind me asking? Thank you very much again! I do hope more folks chime in too but grateful for your help!
      Last edited by k01fishfam; 05-13-2021 at 03:13 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oh ps largest one in QT is 10" and the two others are no more then maybe 5". Just want to make sure that 400 gal okay for them - I can move to larger QT if needed? proper filters and aeration of course (thank you! I feel I have a lot of questions )

msegger is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No need to treat if there is not a problem.

is a 400 gal large enough? Depends, are the filters able to keep the water parameters in check? If not, then you will need to do water changes to get the parameters in check and dont forget the KH.

Best of luck and welcome

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

When I got my Koi, I didn't do anything to the water. My son put it directly into the pond. I did, however, treated the water with detoxifier for ammonia, nitrate, etc... That was because I thought my pond might needed it due to the fact it was a new pond I just built. And my Koi were doing weird things, (like acrobatic swimming, etc...) but they were just getting used to the new pond and exploring. (They are calmer now)

One thing you could check, where you got the Koi from. See if they QT them prior of selling the Koi to you. (more than likely 50/50 chances that they did) I know my LFS that I go to will QT the fishes that just arrived (at least for almost a week or so) before they starts selling them. I used to work at that store a long time ago when I was in my twenties, so I knows their MO.

If they did, you might not have to QT them as long. Just a thought.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Okay thank you very much! Ive heard a lot of mixed experiences with either adding something to the water (whether something was visible or not at all). Definitely a personal choice and I appreciate all the feedback and things to consider. As of now all is good, water parameters are golden and happy new Koi.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you all this has been extremely helpful! I'll follow up with the breeder about their QT process as well.

My final question is what detox treatment did you use ? I'd love to have a list of good ones that people have used for their personal ponds for the future and to see what may be best. Just soaking in all the info I can! Thank you again!

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I recommend you to dip the new koi in saturated NaCl for 30 seconds. It kills all possible external parasites without harming the fish.

I have tried many times with this method and it works great.
      Last edited by SimonW; 05-13-2021 at 07:22 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by k01fishfam View Post
      My final question is what detox treatment did you use ?
      I forgot the name of it I used it up and threw the bottle away, but if you go to the LFS and asked for the water treatment for the ammonia. They will have them.
      -=[Sunny]=-

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007