• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Tancho - How to pick them?

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Tancho - How to pick them?

OK! As I have mentioned (somewhere in the forums) that my DW made a requests for me to find a certain Koi to be added to our Koi family. It is Tancho type that she wanted to have. Now, I knows that there are different types of Tancho out there and different colors variations. How do I pick the right ones when I look for it? And, what is the smallest sizeI can get? I do not want to get a full grown one, they are way too expensive for me to get. LOL!
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

NaturalK is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

well, there's tancho for almost everything with 2 colors... are you looking for the traditional red and white (tancho kohaku)? red and gray (tancho goshiki)? red/black and white (tancho goromo)? Red, white, and black (tancho showa/sanke/shiro utsuri)? orange and gray (tancho ochiba)? tancho shushi? tancho asagi? tancho kujaku? There's a lot out there, but most that are very rare and Tancho Kohaku/Showa/Sanke/Goshiki being the most common.

Smallest size you can get is whatever you can find, lol... Tancho gosanke tend to be difficult because they can lose their red dot as they grow if your water is not good.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Thanks NaturalK for the fast responses. Yeah, I have noticed those colors when I do my research on Tancho. It's either going to be red and white (tancho kohaku) or red, white and black (tancho showa). I am not sure which is better, but a I am leaning toward red and white (tancho kohaku). It's a lot more nicer and cleaner looks, no black I already Koi with a lot of black on them and I want something that can show more bright colors in the pond.

I guess I have to try to look for the smallest I can. LOL!
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Tanchos are all in the genes.

That red crown has a habit of just fading away.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      Tanchos are all in the genes.

That red crown has a habit of just fading away.
      How bad is it for the crown fading away? Is it always? I am looking at one right now that I am interested in 8.5” IMPORTED DOITSU MARUTEN KOHAKU from an online store. It's on sale for $100USD with shipping cost. Not sure if I will get it.

Name:  8inchesDoitsuMarutenKohaku.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  35.2 KB
      -=[Sunny]=-

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Take your time,it is not a pretty fish,with or without.

What other attraction does it have if it fades away?

It might be prettier if the back end disappeared.

In years to come,when you look at it you will be sorry.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Cool. Thanks for the notes, I will continue looking. Yeah, it looks good now, but if those things mentioned disappeared. It won't look good at all.
      -=[Sunny]=-

quan3t is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If it just for your back yard pond and no show then buy whatever looks good in your eyes. I have bought some tricolor koi that lost all it colors due to my pond cycling and now just a white koi but I wouldn't sell him/her cause we been through a lots together

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Let me see if can bowl it and post a better picture but shipping would kill you.Name:  20210512_150340.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  93.2 KBName:  20210512_150244.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  175.5 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by quan3t View Post
      If it just for your back yard pond and no show then buy whatever looks good in your eyes. I have bought some tricolor koi that lost all it colors due to my pond cycling and now just a white koi but I wouldn't sell him/her cause we been through a lots together
      I know what you meant, I wouldn't sell mine either. All my Koi are here to stay until death due us part. (sound like my Koi and I are getting married) LOL!
      -=[Sunny]=-

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      Let me see if can bowl it and post a better picture but shipping would kill you.
      Please, please bowl it. i want to see.

Yeah shipping cost it no fun.
      Last edited by EmeraldDragon; 05-12-2021 at 03:29 PM.
      -=[Sunny]=-

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Tancho feature on the head!

OK! Instead of creating another thread and ask about Tancho. I am just going to ask it here instead. I am a little confused from seeing pictures that other have shows Tancho (here and everywhere) and the single hi marking isolated on the head all looks different. I knows that the ideals is to get the perfect circle Tancho, but that one in a blue moon.

The other day, I saw one that possibly be a Tancho, then I think it is not because single hi marking isolated on the head was way off to the side. So, I didn't get it. Now seeing some of the pictures that someone posted, it almost looks just like it. So, now I am not sure if I did let go of a good looking Tancho or just another Koi.

Does the single hi marking isolated on the head has to be circle or close to a circle? Or can it be any shape?
      -=[Sunny]=-

kevins2ooo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You'll hear a variety of answers... If your goal is to show, I would look up what show judges would consider ideal for tancho.

I have no interest in Tancho whatsoever...but what I have heard is that you want the tancho spot to be in between the eyes and as large as possible without crossing the eyes and head to the shoulder. Many perfect looking tancho are artificial. Breeders and some dealers would "cut" the koi to create the "perfect" tancho pattern. Personally I would take a non perfect tancho over an artificial one anyday. Artificial does not sit well with me.

From an amateur koi keeper's perspective, at least mine, the tancho doesn't matter if it's on a Showa when you know part of it will be "corrected" by the emerging sumi. However, tancho on a Kohaku or Sanke would be more pronounced.

NaturalK is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Honestly, you're never gonna find a natural perfect tancho. It's all been... "encouraged" somewhere if it's a perfect circle

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by kevins2ooo View Post
      You'll hear a variety of answers... If your goal is to show, I would look up what show judges would consider ideal for tancho.

I have no interest in Tancho whatsoever...but what I have heard is that you want the tancho spot to be in between the eyes and as large as possible without crossing the eyes and head to the shoulder. Many perfect looking tancho are artificial. Breeders and some dealers would "cut" the koi to create the "perfect" tancho pattern. Personally I would take a non perfect tancho over an artificial one anyday. Artificial does not sit well with me.

From an amateur koi keeper's perspective, at least mine, the tancho doesn't matter if it's on a Showa when you know part of it will be "corrected" by the emerging sumi. However, tancho on a Kohaku or Sanke would be more pronounced.
      That's what I am afraid of the answers, but I am willing to listen and learn. That is why I am asking the question, so I understand when I looked at these so called Tancho (or I think it is). That it will be a Tancho, not something else totally different. Because sometimes they looks so similar.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalK View Post
      Honestly, you're never gonna find a natural perfect tancho. It's all been... "encouraged" somewhere if it's a perfect circle
      Of course, I am not looking for that. There is no way to find a perfect Tancho, at least not where I am looking at and not the size I am trying to get anyway.
      -=[Sunny]=-

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007