• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bog filter!

schreiberkoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Bog filter!

Who has a bog filter on their pond?? Pro's Con's... looking for insight. What is the difference between bog and wetland or anoxic filters? All I have heard is bad is there anyone that has one that likes it?
      Last edited by schreiberkoi; 05-10-2021 at 03:18 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Kathy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I don't have experience with bog filters but have 3 anoxic filters on a 5000gal, 1700gal and 500 gal pound and really like them. You would still need a decent mechanical filter. We also added clean outs for the anoxic filters as debris does settle out, especially if planted. Here's a link about the filters.
      https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1p5xMUKggMWwaR

Here's one for building a bog.
      https://nelsonwatergardens.com/grave...-construction/

From the looks of it, the bog is a simpler filter to construct since it doesn't require a mechanical filter according to these instructions.

I do see a lot of bog filters on youtube and facebook and people swear by them. I hope this helps.

CharlieQ is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Kathy
      How long did it take to acclimate ur boicenosis baskets and when did u stop using bio media?

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Conventional gravel filled with plants high maintenance bog filter.

Anoxic type build with easily maintained potted plants and cleanable bottom.
      Last edited by batman; 05-11-2021 at 09:37 AM.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Years ago I used a couple of large planter boxes as bog filters. I cleaned them one time and that was enough. I'll never have another one. The roots wrap around every little piece of pea gravel...a real PIA to clean.

jcardona1 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

When I first started messing around with ponds in the 90s, my first pond had an upflow gravel-filled bog filter because: 1) we didn't have all the tech and options we have 25yrs later and 2) I was a high school kid with no money, no internet and didn't know any better. What a disgusting mess. Never again! I gotta hand it to Greg Wittstock and those Aquascape guys. They took obsolete archaic filtration methods and turned it into a money-making machine by fooling the masses.

I do think plant filtration has its merits, but not in gravel-filled cesspools like you see all over Youtube. No amount of Aqua Blocks or snorkels will keep those things clean.
      ~ Jose

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
      I don't have experience with bog filters but have 3 anoxic filters on a 5000gal, 1700gal and 500 gal pound and really like them. You would still need a decent mechanical filter. We also added clean outs for the anoxic filters as debris does settle out, especially if planted. Here's a link about the filters.
      https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1p5xMUKggMWwaR

Here's one for building a bog.
      https://nelsonwatergardens.com/grave...-construction/

From the looks of it, the bog is a simpler filter to construct since it doesn't require a mechanical filter according to these instructions.

I do see a lot of bog filters on youtube and facebook and people swear by them. I hope this helps.
      Thank you for the information I appreciate it!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
      Conventional gravel filled with plants high maintenance bog filter.

Anoxic type build with easily maintained potted plants and cleanable bottom.
      Thank you I have been trying to figure out the difference between bog, wetlands, and anoxic filters!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by pickerel View Post
      Years ago I used a couple of large planter boxes as bog filters. I cleaned them one time and that was enough. I'll never have another one. The roots wrap around every little piece of pea gravel...a real PIA to clean.
      Thank you for the input!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
      When I first started messing around with ponds in the 90s, my first pond had an upflow gravel-filled bog filter because: 1) we didn't have all the tech and options we have 25yrs later and 2) I was a high school kid with no money, no internet and didn't know any better. What a disgusting mess. Never again! I gotta hand it to Greg Wittstock and those Aquascape guys. They took obsolete archaic filtration methods and turned it into a money-making machine by fooling the masses.

I do think plant filtration has its merits, but not in gravel-filled cesspools like you see all over Youtube. No amount of Aqua Blocks or snorkels will keep those things clean.
      Thank you for the information!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

One Poet's Garden is offline Senior Member
      is Digging. And then digging some
      more!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by schreiberkoi View Post
      All I have heard is bad is there anyone that has one that likes it?
      Well, you shouldn't listen to me. I do some crazy things. Mainly because my wife is insanely frugal, and also because I like to do research. Anyway, I could never afford the kinds of filtration some folks use. I can barely afford cheap liner!

But here's the plan for the pond I'm digging just now. I have a liner, 15' by 20', so the pond will be seven by 12. It will have a hybrid filter next to it. I'm still planning, but I'm thinking the filter will be about 7' by 4', so more than 30% of the pond surface area, and about 14" deep.

In there, I'll have a bunch of anoxic baskets, as many as can reasonably fit - if they're 12" by 12", that means three wide and six long, so 18 baskets. There will be a "retro-fit" bottom drain - in other words, a pump in a basket that sits in the bottom center of the pond. That will pump water into the filter, and I'll have a pvc setup to evenly distribute the water, and that will double as a way to clean out the filter periodically. So, 2" PVC set up, and a layer of 3/8" pea gravel to barely cover it. Then the baskets, neatly arranged, and then pea gravel between them, and enough to cover them. That will mean decent flow all around the baskets. Then I'll plant into the top layer of gravel, right above the baskets.

Folks seem to hate bog filters for two main reasons: They don't make provisions for easy cleaning, and they use the wrong plants. If one tries to grow strong rooted plants in there, like large bog iris, of course it's going to turn into a disaster. One wants fast growing things with lots of top growth and not too many roots. There's a list of plants on this page: https://nelsonwatergardens.com/gravel-bog-filter-construction/ I don't agree with them all - I would avoid the iris, for example. But it's a start.

If I had to dig a ton of wet, nasty gravel out of a shallow pit, I think I'd say "never again" as well. But take a glance at Birdman's sand and gravel filter. The PVC structure allows one to blow air back through it for cleaning. By the same principle, you could hook up a shop vac to one end of this structure, and periodically - maybe once every few months - suck out the gunky water. Remember, there aren't any strong rooted plants in there to clog the pipes.

Water will flow back into the pond via gravity - I'm hoping a two inch fall will provide enough aeration. I'm thinking the pump should be about 4,500 gallons per hour.

Anyway, that's my plan. It may not be a good plan, and there may be things I haven't thought of. But I think it just might work. Especially since I'm mostly a water gardener. I like having the fish, but the ponds are there so I can grow water lilies and lotus. So I'm unlikely to ever have show koi, or to be worried about "gin clear" water. Also, I'm in zone 7b, so no worries about the bog ever freezing. If it get super cold, I can always cover the bog with some plywood for a few weeks in winter. Things may be different in Kansas!

Thanks,

Bill

(ps. You really shouldn't listen to me. Folks here know way more about this stuff than I do. I'm just a novice with an incredibly frugal wife, and a penchant for researching crazy ideas!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Wlantry View Post
      Well, you shouldn't listen to me. I do some crazy things. Mainly because my wife is insanely frugal, and also because I like to do research. Anyway, I could never afford the kinds of filtration some folks use. I can barely afford cheap liner!

But here's the plan for the pond I'm digging just now. I have a liner, 15' by 20', so the pond will be seven by 12. It will have a hybrid filter next to it. I'm still planning, but I'm thinking the filter will be about 7' by 4', so more than 30% of the pond surface area, and about 14" deep.

In there, I'll have a bunch of anoxic baskets, as many as can reasonably fit - if they're 12" by 12", that means three wide and six long, so 18 baskets. There will be a "retro-fit" bottom drain - in other words, a pump in a basket that sits in the bottom center of the pond. That will pump water into the filter, and I'll have a pvc setup to evenly distribute the water, and that will double as a way to clean out the filter periodically. So, 2" PVC set up, and a layer of 3/8" pea gravel to barely cover it. Then the baskets, neatly arranged, and then pea gravel between them, and enough to cover them. That will mean decent flow all around the baskets. Then I'll plant into the top layer of gravel, right above the baskets.

Folks seem to hate bog filters for two main reasons: They don't make provisions for easy cleaning, and they use the wrong plants. If one tries to grow strong rooted plants in there, like large bog iris, of course it's going to turn into a disaster. One wants fast growing things with lots of top growth and not too many roots. There's a list of plants on this page: https://nelsonwatergardens.com/gravel-bog-filter-construction/ I don't agree with them all - I would avoid the iris, for example. But it's a start.

If I had to dig a ton of wet, nasty gravel out of a shallow pit, I think I'd say "never again" as well. But take a glance at Birdman's sand and gravel filter. The PVC structure allows one to blow air back through it for cleaning. By the same principle, you could hook up a shop vac to one end of this structure, and periodically - maybe once every few months - suck out the gunky water. Remember, there aren't any strong rooted plants in there to clog the pipes.

Water will flow back into the pond via gravity - I'm hoping a two inch fall will provide enough aeration. I'm thinking the pump should be about 4,500 gallons per hour.

Anyway, that's my plan. It may not be a good plan, and there may be things I haven't thought of. But I think it just might work. Especially since I'm mostly a water gardener. I like having the fish, but the ponds are there so I can grow water lilies and lotus. So I'm unlikely to ever have show koi, or to be worried about "gin clear" water. Also, I'm in zone 7b, so no worries about the bog ever freezing. If it get super cold, I can always cover the bog with some plywood for a few weeks in winter. Things may be different in Kansas!

Thanks,

Bill

(ps. You really shouldn't listen to me. Folks here know way more about this stuff than I do. I'm just a novice with an incredibly frugal wife, and a penchant for researching crazy ideas!
      First thanks for the information and I look forward to seeing your build! I too am a penny pincher in a lot of ways that's why I try to do everything I can myself within reason because I can barely afford the materials let alone paying for the labor to have it done. I'm not afraid to take on a challenge and put in the work if it is something I really want but I am no where nearly as knowledgeable as most people on here that's why I look for guidance. I am a visual person so I have to have things drawn out for me to understand. I just get it better than having it written and reading through what to do. Don't get me wrong I always read the instructions on everything that's just how I roll also. I have S/G filters based off birdman's design and wondered why this could not be implemented in some way to help with cleaning. Where are you getting your baskets for anoxic filters? Are you putting kitty litter in them?

CharlieQ is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I d like to jump in and say I too hav built an anoxic filter. I used oil-dri I bought at tsc.
      Water planters came from home depot 9" and I used ironite for iron source. I installed 2nd week of April
      I made 14 baskets and put plants only in 1. I guess now I monitor water parameters n see if it works.
      I also took the course offered by k.o.i.international.
      Alot of technical mombo jombo.Name:  20210501_123516.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  234.2 KBName:  20210502_093650.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  231.6 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieQ View Post
      I d like to jump in and say I too hav built an anoxic filter. I used oil-dri I bought at tsc.
      Water planters came from home depot 9" and I used ironite for iron source. I installed 2nd week of April
      I made 14 baskets and put plants only in 1. I guess now I monitor water parameters n see if it works.
      I also took the course offered by k.o.i.international.
      Alot of technical mombo jombo.Name:  20210501_123516.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  234.2 KBName:  20210502_093650.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  231.6 KB
      Thanks for sharing... how big is your pond?

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Wlantry View Post
      You sounds like me Bill... I had to saved up to buy parts and liner to build my pond. Took me over a year to built my little Koi Pond. I also tried to search for crazy ideas to saved money... And everyone keeps telling me "No, no, no, Sunny, you can't do that. That not going to works" LOL!

But you idea sound good thou. Looking forward in seeing how your plans goes as well.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

more!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by schreiberkoi View Post
      Where are you getting your baskets for anoxic filters? Are you putting kitty litter in them?
      Based on advice here, I went to home depot and got a bunch of these guys: https://www.homedepot.com/p/BECKETT-...1010/100187980

Someone else said they're a little too open, and recommended Fiberglass screen: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Saint-Go...87-M/204264673

I'm not good at wrapping christmas presents, and I'm not good at folding that screen up the insides and over the top. Oh well, that's why zip ties were invented.

I got a bag of flourite for the centers, and some used pantyhose to make one cup bags. But I'm dumping the flourite as too expensive for scaling up, so I'm going with ironite from home depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ironite-...2501/205561089 Folks say it works.

The kitty litter was a problem. I had to go to a store where I don't usually go. Just ran in, grabbed it, and got the heck out of Dodge. But I'll give them this: it's cheap. Five bucks for 25 pounds. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Special-K...25-lb/10293705 cheaper, by volume, than bagged pea gravel.

And it's good stuff, with other uses. Case in point: for my birthday, I ordered three water lilies, two tropical, one hardy, for 18 bucks a pop! I used clay from my garden to pot them up. Big mistake: I keep forgetting my soil is poison. Before I noticed what was happening, the two tropicals rotted and died. The hardy was headed for the same fate. But I pulled it out, cleaned it off, and repotted, this time with a mix of kitty litter and florite. It's now thriving, and almost ready to go out into the pond. From now on, I'm potting up all my aquatics that way, but with ironite instead of flourite.

Anyway, like I said, folks tell me I'm crazy - they're probably right - and then they offer really good advice. Luckily, I'm fairly good at taking advice. Because of them, I'm thinking this project shows some real promise. I guess we'll find out!

Thanks,

Bill

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Bill do you have any pictures of putting these together? Would love to see your setup Thanks

Jwoyshnar is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I put a wetland filter in two years ago. I love it. I designed it to be easy to clean. Also it's very important to prefilter. I have two huge vortex filters gravity feeding from my skimmer. It's then pumped to the wetland. Cleaning consists of draining it with the pump vault. This year I'll be able to do it from my phone while sitting on the patio or anywhere I have phone service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Jwoyshnar View Post
      I put a wetland filter in two years ago. I love it. I designed it to be easy to clean. Also it's very important to prefilter. I have two huge vortex filters gravity feeding from my skimmer. It's then pumped to the wetland. Cleaning consists of draining it with the pump vault. This year I'll be able to do it from my phone while sitting on the patio or anywhere I have phone service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

more!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Jwoyshnar View Post
      I put a wetland filter in two years ago.
      I'm with Steve: "Pics, or it didn't happen!"

Like, lots of pics!

Thanks,

Bill

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast