• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best growth and color food on market?

KoiFan84 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Best growth and color food on market?

Thoughts on what food causes the most growth? Food that is best for color? Food that causes the least waste?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

I started out using Hikari But I am now using Pro Koi Food from Koi Outlet. It's made in USA. Not sure how good it is, but it's supposed to be good for colors. I do not see much of the waste thou. My Koi seems to grows pretty fast, but I don't really check the size on them.

I also wants to knows on what's everyone thoughts as well. I may want to try other food combinations, especially for enhancing colors.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm really not trying to be rude Emerald, but why do you keep filling up people's threads who are looking for advice with either uninformed info or just statements about the topic?

It's easy to tell that you do not have close to the knowledge of the members on here that often give well informed advice. When you do this it distracts from the poster's question and leads knowledgeable people off on tangents when they could have given more focused advice.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by KoiFan84 View Post
      I'm really not trying to be rude Emerald, but why do you keep filling up people's threads who are looking for advice with either uninformed info or just statements about the topic?

It's easy to tell that you do not have close to the knowledge of the members on here that often give well informed advice. When you do this it distracts from the poster's question and leads knowledgeable people off on tangents when they could have given more focused advice.
      Fine! From day one that you responded to any of my post. You have singled me out every time I made a post. You already had been rude to me. I understand that you said that you are not being rude, but you are. I will stay away from your post and you will stay the heck away from me. I might not be as knowledgeable than you (as you think). I have been trying to be nice on this forum with you around, but this is the last straw. I am done with you.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

jcardona1 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'd love to see where in the TOS it says that you need to have a certain level of knowledge to comment on posts.

Also, you should delete this post where you admitted you weren't an expert but still proceeded to provide authoritative guidance:

I’m no expert, but a few things:
      1. Females are better because of thicker body.
      2. Koi from Japanese breeders tend to get bigger than ones bred somewhere else
      3. Some types are bigger than others. Chagoi for instance are one of the bigger varieties
      4 Pond size, great water quality, and great food help
      5. Find a knowledgeable retailer who can look at a small koi and give you a prediction of whether or not it could grow big
      6. As a general rule 3 feet/90 cm is roughly the maximum size, but achievable especially with a chagoi.
      Also, remember when you once said we should be welcoming to new-comers? Guess that quickly wore off with the new holier-than-thou attitude. EmeraldDragon is right - you've been attacking him/her in several threads now and you should chill out.

In my opinion, People in all forums should initially ask questions to see if a person looking into building a koi pond is young or has a small budget. The majority of the time young people first starting out cannot have for example a 10K gallon pond with an RDF, shower, huge pump, aerated BD etc. I think pretty often people in forums are quick to say oh you have to have this and this and this when that is not feasible for someone with limited resources who is just starting out. This tendency intimidates newcomers, and makes them think a koi pond is unattainable.
      And remember when you first joined and didn't know what a DIY shower was nor the slightest idea on how to build one? Yeah, Pepperidge Farm remembers.
      ~ Jose

kevins2ooo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...erent+genetics

Here we are...back to square one.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevins2ooo View Post
      SMH...if OP bothered to do a SEARCH, he would have found his own thread where it was asked and answered. What a noob
      ~ Jose

pondfishguy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

IMHO It depends on what you like and how much you are willing to spend. I know dozens of Pond owners and everybody believes the brand they use is the best. The only way I know to tell the difference is to have two ponds side-by-side with similar fish and filters, use the exact same amount of two different foods for an extended period of time.

If you really wanted to use the best stuff, I would use what the breeders in Japan use.

Hope J is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've always been impressed with Saki Hikari, it has the best ingredients and supplements(sp?) but it's gotten extremely expensive over this past year.

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Funny Japanese breeders use lower cost food for production. Maybe the very expensive blends aren't needed for good colors?
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
      Funny Japanese breeders use lower cost food for production. Maybe the very expensive blends aren't needed for good colors?
      They do as far as I know but I don't blame them for not wanting to pay for Hikari for millions of Koi. I read a lot of articles etc., and the Japanese said the 3 top ingredients should be Fish Meal, Soy, and Wheat Germ (I think, it's been a while). I imagine with as much Cull as they have, they probably utilize it in their feeding programs but this is just merely speculation. I know mine love fish fillets so it makes sense.

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Thoughts on what food causes the most growth? Food that is best for color? Food that causes the least waste?
      Saki hikari growth
      Saki hikari deep red
      Is the answer

I am broke so this year trying
      nijikawa pro sink/float and color genesis
      M.Nguyen

mattkemp218 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The quality of the food and the amount of growth encountered is a factor of how much food is fed (too much vs too little) and the quality of the feed. This is why it's so difficult to claim one is better for growth than another. If all you're looking for is growth, power feed your fish (especially when your water is warm, 75+ F) and increase water changes/filtration to handle increased waste. I guarantee you'll see explosive growth. Color on the other hand is mush more dependent on the quality and types of ingredients incorporated. If you're looking to boost the red markings of your fish simply incorporate a feed with an adequate quantity of astaxanthin. This will greatly increase the coloration of red markings on your fish. That being said, it appears JPD color enhancing foods would be a great middle ground for both color and growth given the macronutrient profile and also are priced more competitively than hakari in most cases. I'd be happy to elaborate more if you'd like as I have an immense amount of experience with aquaculture and hatchery diets.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by mattkemp218 View Post
      The quality of the food and the amount of growth encountered is a factor of how much food is fed (too much vs too little) and the quality of the feed. This is why it's so difficult to claim one is better for growth than another. If all you're looking for is growth, power feed your fish (especially when your water is warm, 75+ F) and increase water changes/filtration to handle increased waste. I guarantee you'll see explosive growth. Color on the other hand is mush more dependent on the quality and types of ingredients incorporated. If you're looking to boost the red markings of your fish simply incorporate a feed with an adequate quantity of astaxanthin. This will greatly increase the coloration of red markings on your fish. That being said, it appears JPD color enhancing foods would be a great middle ground for both color and growth given the macronutrient profile and also are priced more competitively than hakari in most cases. I'd be happy to elaborate more if you'd like as I have an immense amount of experience with aquaculture and hatchery diets.
      Definitely agree with this, especially the fresh water. As the Koi grow, they release Somatistatins(sp?) in the water and filtration systems don't remove it, only fresh new water and some say PP also. Just a well balanced diet and adequate water changes go a long way. Saki Hikari is great if you can afford it. I give mine a lot of fresh fruit, veggies etc so they get a little more variety and access to different minerals etc. Growth comes down to genetics and good care/management.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hope J View Post
      Definitely agree with this, especially the fresh water. As the Koi grow, they release Somatistatins(sp?) in the water and filtration systems don't remove it, only fresh new water and some say PP also. Just a well balanced diet and adequate water changes go a long way. Saki Hikari is great if you can afford it.

I give mine a lot of fresh fruit, veggies etc so they get a little more variety and access to different minerals etc. Growth comes down to genetics and good care/management.

I like the idea of breaking away from the pellet food
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Hope J View Post
      I give mine a lot of fresh fruit, veggies etc so they get a little more variety and access to different minerals etc.
      Mine won't even touch it. At least the first time my DW tried it. What is the best way in easing them into it anyway? If they won't touch it.
      -=[Sunny]=-

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldDragon View Post
      Mine won't even touch it. At least the first time my DW tried it. What is the best way in easing them into it anyway? If they won't touch it.
      With mine it took a while of just trying different things until they found something they really liked (fish fillets and Watermelon) after that they were pretty willing to try everything. Sometimes I'll coat their food with Anchovie paste because it's high in Guanine, they love it, I don't do it every day because it's also high in salt.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
      I'd love to see where in the TOS it says that you need to have a certain level of knowledge to comment on posts.

Also, you should delete this post where you admitted you weren't an expert but still proceeded to provide authoritative guidance:

Also, remember when you once said we should be welcoming to new-comers? Guess that quickly wore off with the new holier-than-thou attitude. EmeraldDragon is right - you've been attacking him/her in several threads now and you should chill out.

And remember when you first joined and didn't know what a DIY shower was nor the slightest idea on how to build one? Yeah, Pepperidge Farm remembers.
      Lol. Jcar you really took the time to research my previous posts. You noticed how I prefaced with I’m not an expert.Look at my post. Tell me if what I listed was wrong, looks thorough and correct. Am I right. Emerald can start as many threads as he wants. I encourage that, but wouldn’t you get annoyed if every time you asked a question somebody posted one of the first replies which caused advice from others to go off on a tangent not directly related to the thread you started. If you waste your time again looking back at my threads I’m pretty sure I have never criticized another member for doing this. The first couple of times Emerald did this I was fine with it, but it got old.

kevins2ooo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lol. Jcar you really took the time to research my previous posts. You noticed how I prefaced with I’m not an expert.Look at my post. Tell me if what I listed was wrong, looks thorough and correct. Am I right. Emerald can start as many threads as he wants. I encourage that, but wouldn’t you get annoyed if every time you asked a question somebody posted one of the first replies which caused advice from others to go off on a tangent not directly related to the thread you started. If you waste your time again looking back at my threads I’m pretty sure I have never criticized another member for doing this. The first couple of times Emerald did this I was fine with it, but it got old.
      What made you think it took Jose a long time to research your posts? For me it was simple. The search function is extremely user-friendly, and if one is not technologically challenged, it wouldn't take long.

So a question for you since you are so concerned about people getting annoyed, you asked this question four months ago. Why another post?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Elitism isn't cool man. I quickly found several recent posts calling out Emerald for his lack of knowledge. You shouldn't shame new members and discourage them from posting. That's how websites die. There is already very little activity here, at this pace Koiphen will shrivel up and die in a few years. You need people that are new and excited about the hobby to keep things going, otherwise it'll be an echo chamber of old members just talking to themselves. If you don't like the content of somebody's posts, just skip over it.

This isn't needed:

Sounds like you need to do some reading/research. Kind of surprised that you have over 100 posts but don’t know this information.
      Emerald Dragon, I was looking for a bit more advanced knowledge to be honest. It’s pond plant 101 [...]
      Sometimes it's kind of pointless for people with no more knowledge than the poster to post replies/advice...
      I'm really not trying to be rude Emerald, but why do you keep filling up people's threads who are looking for advice with either uninformed info or just statements about the topic? It's easy to tell that you do not have close to the knowledge of the members on here that often give well informed advice. When you do this it distracts from the poster's question and leads knowledgeable people off on tangents when they could have given more focused advice.
      ~ Jose

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast