• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Pond! ... going with liner!

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      ~ 2021 KPOTY
      is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

I'm not a fan of bog filters in general so I'd be a terrible person to ask.
      But in short I'd say no.
      --Steve
      ..WWKC Treasurer

schreiberkoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      I'm not a fan of bog filters in general so I'd be a terrible person to ask.
      But in short I'd say no.
      OK thanks!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

After discussing finances and projects this year with husband, I have decided to just go ahead and get the pond dug out while having the house demo'd but will just try and go the natural route for now and see how that goes. This way I will have the majority of the digging already done should it not work and I decide to go with liner when the budget might be more relaxed. I still want to try to go with an island. I looked through some of the mud pond forum and found a link for soil evaluation for your area and mine says it is Dennis Silt Loam, 1 to 3 percent slope. Any one familiar with soil? Is this good or bad news? I was also planning on re-using what I hope to be possibly some limestone rock from the foundation of the house in the pond build. Would I be able to put rock around the wall perimeter of the island to help with erosion? Was also thinking about using the sidewalk which I think is made from concrete. We have lived here 25 years and that yard and sidewalk has been there with no changes so it's at least that old. I know concrete can leach and be bad news for fish but with it being that old would that be a problem now if I used it? Thanks!

two_wheeled is offline Senior Member
      is TGIF

Feeling:
      Meh

I'm unsure what you're planning to do with the island. Is it simply for visual appeal, or were you hoping to walk on it? Or row a boat across to bring Jack Sparrow his rum?

Here's another idea. If the island is purely cosmetic, have you considered making it a floating island? This would be a lot simpler to build, and you could still plumb submersible pumps through it to create any visual effect you wanted.
      I was recently turned on to the idea of a floating island when a local pond owner in my area had these gigantic floating mats in her large pond. The mats were about 6 feet long and 4 feet wide and covered with plants and ornaments. They looked like permanent structures. I didn't know they were floating until she told me. Ducks even nested on one of them! I can't find the exact ones she had, but here are some links to others online.
      http://www.beemats.com/
      https://www.biomatrixwater.com/floating-ecosystems/
      https://midwestfloatingisland.com/ae...c-waterscapes/

Just a thought.
      -Steve in Phx.
      Novice Extraordinaire

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by two_wheeled View Post
      I'm unsure what you're planning to do with the island. Is it simply for visual appeal, or were you hoping to walk on it? Or row a boat across to bring Jack Sparrow his rum?

Here's another idea. If the island is purely cosmetic, have you considered making it a floating island? This would be a lot simpler to build, and you could still plumb submersible pumps through it to create any visual effect you wanted.
      I was recently turned on to the idea of a floating island when a local pond owner in my area had these gigantic floating mats in her large pond. The mats were about 6 feet long and 4 feet wide and covered with plants and ornaments. They looked like permanent structures. I didn't know they were floating until she told me. Ducks even nested on one of them! I can't find the exact ones she had, but here are some links to others online.
      http://www.beemats.com/
      https://www.biomatrixwater.com/floating-ecosystems/
      https://midwestfloatingisland.com/ae...c-waterscapes/

Just a thought.
      planning on using it having a footbridge to it and a bench or some kind of seating area on it

two_wheeled is offline Senior Member
      is TGIF

Feeling:
      Meh

Phooey. Guess a floating island is out of the question then.
      I do really like your idea of an island. Hope it works out!
      -Steve in Phx.
      Novice Extraordinaire

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by two_wheeled View Post
      Phooey. Guess a floating island is out of the question then.
      I do really like your idea of an island. Hope it works out!
      The floating island is a great idea just not what I have in mind! Thank you I hope so as well!

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by schreiberkoi View Post
      After discussing finances and projects this year with husband, I have decided to just go ahead and get the pond dug out while having the house demo'd but will just try and go the natural route for now and see how that goes. This way I will have the majority of the digging already done should it not work and I decide to go with liner when the budget might be more relaxed. I still want to try to go with an island. I looked through some of the mud pond forum and found a link for soil evaluation for your area and mine says it is Dennis Silt Loam, 1 to 3 percent slope. Any one familiar with soil? Is this good or bad news? I was also planning on re-using what I hope to be possibly some limestone rock from the foundation of the house in the pond build. Would I be able to put rock around the wall perimeter of the island to help with erosion? Was also thinking about using the sidewalk which I think is made from concrete. We have lived here 25 years and that yard and sidewalk has been there with no changes so it's at least that old. I know concrete can leach and be bad news for fish but with it being that old would that be a problem now if I used it? Thanks!
      Bad idea to go forward as success will be near zero. Mud ponds are built in the sub soil layer and not the top layer described above. The sub layer needs to be a type that will hold water. The waterproof sub layer needs to be brought up the sides and compacted to form a bowl that holds water. Standard pond sides are typically a 3 foot run for every 1 foot in rise (3 to 1 bank) to minimize erosion and collapse.

Typically a test hole is dug and the subsoil layer is evaluated for it's ability to hold water. The depth of top soil layers vary greatly. I've seen some over 24 inches. Plus in a residential area it's possible the soil has been disturbed and mixed. Hard to tell what you'll find underground in a mature residential area. Also possible drainage in area will interfere. The very small size is also working against success as a mud pond.

Not what you want to hear but digging too far in advance results In more time and money spent later.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by batman; 05-10-2021 at 10:38 PM.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

When we build a mud pond first multiple test holes are dug for sub soil evaluation. The top soil layer is then stripped off and piled. A bowl is built and compacted out of the sub soil that will hold water. Top soil is then put back and area around pond shaped.

Over the years seen many dug that turned out to be dry holes. There is a 4 acre one near our farm.
      Last edited by batman; 05-11-2021 at 09:18 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ask your contractor how much to dig now vs 18 mths later. We did small excavation as a side business for years. I'd figure $100 equipment transportation round trip plus $1 a mile. If you lived 20 miles away only $140. These costs were to transport a small bobcat with digger or small tractor backhoe.

There are several examples on Koiphen where people dug holes and didn't build until much later. Everyone a mess to straighten out.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
      Ask your contractor how much to dig now vs 18 mths later. We did small excavation as a side business for years. I'd figure $100 equipment transportation round trip plus $1 a mile. If you lived 20 miles away only $140. These costs were to transport a small bobcat with digger or small tractor backhoe.

There are several examples on Koiphen where people dug holes and didn't build until much later. Everyone a mess to straighten out.
      I appreciate the input. I am sure you're right and I do want to go with a liner I'm just not sure if it will be in the cards this year. We are going to be building a 6' privacy fence all the way around the yard connecting both yards so I know it will be more difficult to get equipment in to do it later if at all possible. I have trees that need to be put in the ground as well as have the yard leveled up to my existing yard while we have access to do it so that is why I think I will go ahead and have him dig it out... I hope to be able to get a liner ASAP but realize I will probably have some excavating to do after he is done. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be too bad before I can do this!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Always a good idea to design an easy to remove fence section to get things in and out.

Buy a low cost piece of black plastic and place over the hole. Anchor the edges with rocks. It will fill with water and keep bank erosion minimal.
      Last edited by batman; 05-11-2021 at 01:43 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
      Always a good idea to design an easy to remove fence section to get things in and out.

Buy a low cost piece of black plastic and place over the hole. Anchor the edges with rocks. It will fill with water and keep bank erosion minimal.
      Thanks I didn't think about plastic I might have to do this!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  island pond 1.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  237.0 KBName:  island pond.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  259.3 KBName:  island pond 2.jpg
Size:  205.4 KB Pond area has been excavated a lot of cleanup and work ahead. Need advice and help on best way to keep island from eroding. The pond will not be complete this year but would like to work on keeping the island and sides from eroding as best as possible. Should I go with some kind of retaining wall and collar around the island? I was just thinking of going with a cinder block collar around the perimeter of the pond. The pond or moat depth will only be 3 to 4ft. Is a full retaining wall necessary around the island? Or could I just get away with a cinder block collar all the way around it as well?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wondering if this cinder block collar would work like on my other pond.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  pond collar.jpg
Size:  95.4 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12