• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Why did my quarantine pond turn red?

Hop-frog is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Why did my quarantine pond turn red?

I setup a pond, well swimming pool, using water from my main pond, to serve as a one-month quarantine for new fish. It holds about 3k gallons and has about 15 baby orandas.

Yesterday, the water in this qurantine pond was perfectly clear. Today, I returned from work to find the water red, and though not very cloudy, the color made it hard to find any fish. There was a storm in the morning, but the regular pond, just a few feet away looks the same color as the day before, just somewhat greenish from algae. What could cause the water to turn red?

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The only thing that comes to mind is https://scijinks.gov/red-tide/ which is an overgrowth of algae. I have never seen one that is red, in a pond or small body of water, but it generally will require additional oxygen to prevent fish kills.

Check the water parameters, ammonia and nitrite are big food sources for algae, but heavy rain can dilute or reduce the KH causing pH shifts which can be dangerous to the fish and the bio filter on that water. You don't mention having any filtration on the quarantine pond, and if used for a month, I would think that it would definitely need some form of filtration.

Please furnish test numbers for ammonia, nitrite, high range pH, KH and water temperature.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard