• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1,200 gal. Pond Planning! Unique Situation..

ginandtonic is offline Junior Member
      is in the pond planning phase

Feeling:
      ----

Hmm okay, I really appreciate all your insight so far! So I’d be having two filters doing the exact same thing if I had them both, plus creating more work by having the pump before a finer sieve.

So, my BD would then gravity flow directly to my sieve, which the pump would be pulling from and sending to the pressure filter than bio filter/falls eh? I’ll have to look into the plumbing for pulling from the sieve!

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

Like catfish said, if you're going to try and DIY a sieve I'd be likely to wait and do the SC now and
      plan on upgrading someday to a sieve. The screen looks like regular screening but it's what makes
      a sieve work like it does. Most that I've seen that build their own sieve with the right screen ends
      up spending about the same as a commercially built one. But it's your pond so it's your call!
      --Steve

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Like catfish said, if you're going to try and DIY a sieve I'd be likely to wait and do the SC now and
      plan on upgrading someday to a sieve. The screen looks like regular screening but it's what makes
      a sieve work like it does. Most that I've seen that build their own sieve with the right screen ends
      up spending about the same as a commercially built one. But it's your pond so it's your call!
      I noticed on the Zakki we site that they showed the cross section of their mesh and the angles. Maybe I’m being naive but it seems to be a box with a filter screen at a specific angle to take advantage of the way the mesh is made.. could I be missing something? I mean, I wouldn’t say I could ever make a pressurized one, but gravity fed seems awfully simple! I’d prefer to do this just once if possible

is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

His is the same as other sieves use. It's called wedge wire. Here's an example of a 200 micron one:

https://www.thepondoutlet.com/sk214-...acement-screen

The other key than the screen is the ability for it to adjust to water level. If your pond level varies by just
      a small amount it can either run the pump dry or flood the sieve's clean water side if pond level rises. Commercial ones
      can adjust with the water level in the pond.

Some people have used regular screen with varying success. Most of the ones I've seen shown need emptied often due to
      them getting blocked by debris. The wedge wire is the difference. You might watch Tony's efforts doing his for pointers:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...DIY-Filter-2-0
      --Steve

Feeling:
      ----

That is a remarkably expensive sieve!!It must be because its custom made to fit a certain box, and not just a sheet?! There seems to be some more affordable options around from a quick google search!

Great point about the adjustable water line - I had forgot about that since I had my initial design as pump fed! But okay, that should be doable, but will take a little trial an error to get the flotation of a vertical barrier just right! I'll draft up a new concept today.

I'm glad I found this forum 3-4 months before building! So many details, so complex, but also fascinating.

msegger is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

is there a local koi club where you are located? possibly check with them to see if anyone has a sieve for sale.

Feeling:
      ----

Unfortunately it's not very popular here where the pond is mostly ice for 4-5 months a year :/

Feeling:
      ----

So, after a bit of thought, I still haven't figured out the perfect adjustable flow control for the DIY sieve, but I have a few months to figure that out yet. I've seen Wrighty's, as well as taken some inspo from the UltraSieve III, so I'll likely be doing some sort of flotation controlled device like that. I'm wondering if an alternative option is an automatic top-up floating valve and do away with a floating weir thing in the sieve, but I'm not sure I want to put all my trust in those. I suppose I could replace it once a year since they're cheap to ensure its not rusting out! I could have an overflow pipe attached directly to pond to keep it from getting too high for the sieve as well.

I believe I've nailed down the specs for everything else and this is what I'm thinking:

• Pond: 1250g (bare bottom, partial submersed rock edge, 42" deep at BD, located in Ontario, Canada, so the winter can get down to -25 (-13f))
      • 3" BD
      • DIY Sieve fed by BD
      • 1,500gph submersible pump at the bottom of sieve
      • Pressurized filter after pump
      • 55gal biofilter(DIY) behind falls with K3 media in it
      • Waterfall basin(DIY) will have k1 media in it
      • Skimmer (potential DIY, not sure) of course with leaf basket and matala mats
      • 1,000gph submersible pump feed from skimmer to pressurized filter to waterfall
      • Air pump feeding an aerator in the bottom of the pond, as well as one in the bottom of the biofilter

I will hook up the 1500 gal pump to the waterfall and determine if it's enough flow for the small waterfall that I will have. I don't believe I want 2500gph going over my little waterfall, but I also don't even know what that looks like, so if anyone has a pic or video of a 2500gph waterfall, I'd love to see it! If the 1500gph is enough, then the skimmer pump may not even go to the pressure filter, and will go back to the pond discretely as a hose over the edge under some rocks to function like a TPR. I know that pump would only have the filtration of a leaf basket and a matt behind that, but my BD is already turning the water over 1.25x per hour, so this extra flow is above and beyond, in my amateur opinion.

Let me know what y'all think. Can't wait to start assigning actual products and materials to that list so I'm ready to hit the ground running in August!

I'll post a sketch of all of this later this afternoon!

is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by ginandtonic View Post

I will hook up the 1500 gal pump to the waterfall and determine if it's enough flow for the small waterfall that I will have. I don't believe I want 2500gph going over my little waterfall, but I also don't even know what that looks like, so if anyone has a pic or video of a 2500gph waterfall, I'd love to see it! If the 1500gph is enough, then the skimmer pump may not even go to the pressure filter, and will go back to the pond discretely as a hose over the edge under some rocks to function like a TPR. I know that pump would only have the filtration of a leaf basket and a matt behind that, but my BD is already turning the water over 1.25x per hour, so this extra flow is above and beyond, in my amateur opinion.
      On the pump size I usually go a little higher than I think my waterfall needs and add a ball valve on the output of the pump.
      Restricting flow on the output size of the pump won't harm it, you just don't ever want to restrict it on the intake side of the pump,
      which you can't do on most submersible pumps anyway.
      --Steve

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      On the pump size I usually go a little higher than I think my waterfall needs and add a ball valve on the output of the pump.
      Restricting flow on the output size of the pump won't harm it, you just don't ever want to restrict it on the intake side of the pump,
      which you can't do on most submersible pumps anyway.
      Great point. I'd love to know what a 1,500/2,500/and 3,500gph waterfall looks like! I've tried to do some googling but it seems unreliable! If the standard garden hose is 600-800gph, then maybe 2,500 isn't too much after all?

As for having a 2,500-3,000gph pump system set up for a 1,250g pond, I realize thats overkill, but is there such a thing as over filtering? From what I understand, I'd have to increase my biofilter volume to slow the water movement through that portion of the filtration system, is that correct? If filtering the water 2-3x allows a fish or two extra, I'd be happy about that! 5-6 fish for a 1,250g pond.

is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by ginandtonic View Post
      Great point. I'd love to know what a 1,500/2,500/and 3,500gph waterfall looks like! I've tried to do some googling but it seems unreliable! If the standard garden hose is 600-800gph, then maybe 2,500 isn't too much after all?

As for having a 2,500-3,000gph pump system set up for a 1,250g pond, I realize thats overkill, but is there such a thing as over filtering? From what I understand, I'd have to increase my biofilter volume to slow the water movement through that portion of the filtration system, is that correct? If filtering the water 2-3x allows a fish or two extra, I'd be happy about that! 5-6 fish for a 1,250g pond.
      Honestly I don't think you'd see too much flow from a 2500 gph pump on a 1250 gallon pond. I don't think you can have too much filtration, but I
      think you can have too much flow. On a smaller pond though, turnover every 30 min. isn't unreasonable if your filters can handle that flow. They just
      have to match.
      From what I've read bio filtration happens very fast. It's doesn't seem to be the same as dwell time in a settling chamber... just as long as the flow
      isn't so much that it makes the filter not function right. For example moving bed filters can have their output screen plug up with media because the
      if the flow is too much it may suck the media to the outlet, not letting it flow correctly. The bio process is still happening quickly, but the filter can't
      flow correctly.
      My 4000 gallon pond has a pump rated at 10,500 gph and another one rated at ~5000 gph, but the water is disturbed very little and the filters are
      all rated to handle that much flow and is why I picked the ones I did. It just all has to match up.

Another example...
      This is a QT tank I had in my garage. It's about 800 gallons. I filtered it with a s/g filter and a 2500 gph pump returning the water under
      the water surface. I made this video for something else (I don't even remember why ) but you can see the water is disturbed very little and
      the fish aren't under any stress to keep swimming even though the water is creating a good current under the surface in a round tank.

--Steve

Feeling:
      ----

Ok that’s all great to know! As long as I build a sieve to handle the flow, and the pressure filter doesn’t hinder the flow, then it sounds like I’ll be fine! The bio filtration will be about 75gallons for me, and if it’s alright for the water to move through quickly that’s great! Thanks again for all your advice! All taken.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123