• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: OASE BioSmart 5000 Pond Filter

EmeraldDragon is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

OASE BioSmart 5000 Pond Filter

I am looking into buying this OASE-BioSmart-5000-Pond-Filter for my Koi Pond. In reading the reviews they are mostly good. One of my friend is using it and recommended to me, and I have been leaning toward it. What do you guys/gals think about this filter? Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!

Even though, I want to do a DIY Filter prior, like I mentioned in the other thread. My DW kindda talk me out of it. She kind of put it as too much trouble to put my energy into, especially when she wants me to be elsewhere doing other things in the garden with her. As I always say "Happy wife happy life!" and I gets what I wants, as always.
      Regards,
      Sunny
      https://www.youtube.com/user/mongthummai

Visit my site and see my progress of my Backyard and Garden

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

"BioSmart 5000 is suitable for ponds up to 5,000 gallons (with no fish)."

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Too labor intensive long term. If looking for less maintenance, reasonable cost and off the shelf look at the canister filters that can be backwashed with a valve. They can be backwashed in a few minutes.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      "BioSmart 5000 is suitable for ponds up to 5,000 gallons (with no fish)."
      Well, my friend used it with his Koi Pond. I noticed the note said no fish note too. That's why I am asking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
      Too labor intensive long term. If looking for less maintenance, reasonable cost and off the shelf look at the canister filters that can be backwashed with a valve. They can be backwashed in a few minutes.
      Yes, I want less maintenance and cheap is very good. Off the shelf would be nice, I can go get it. What is your recommendation Batman?
      Last edited by EmeraldDragon; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:31 PM.
      Regards,
      Sunny

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We have a few older ones that are used on temp stock tank setups for small fish. Manufactured by Laguna and Hozelock. All are over rated by size of pond they can filter but they do a decent job on small setups. We like being able to backwash filter and decrease need to open and clean. Ours are old models and no longer made. Looks like because of Covid current selection online is somewhat limited and higher price.

What inside dimensions did you end up with and have you calculated gallons?
      Last edited by batman; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:58 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Yeah! The price from looking at these brands are expensive.

The dimensions are about 5' x 6' by 30" and calculated to just about 550 gallons. (more or less)

Currently, I have 7 Koi and 1 GF in it with an old filter that just don't cut it that was from my old smaller pond (4' x 4' x 21") that only holds about 185 gallons of water. The old filter works fine with the other pond but not the new pond, and now every time I do maintenance on it, it leaks. Because I have to takes everything apart to clean it, it was a hassle to do maintenance on it. That is one of the reason I want to find something better that doesn't required me to disconnect the unit when I do the maintenance.
      Regards,
      Sunny

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We had an older filter with no backwash function. Put quick connects on filter hoses. Disconnected lines and would put pressure line on Filter Out and a temp drain line drain on Filter In to backwash. This greatly increased interval between take apart cleaning. Have you tried taking apart your hose filter connections, cleaning and reassembly with silicone glue?

If you have the room can't beat the upflow DIY SG filters.

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I like the Matala BioStep 10 for the money. https://www.amazon.com/Biosteps-10-E...-garden&sr=1-2

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Or you could get a DracoDrum Minima Combi Unit would even go with your Avatar

http://www.dracodrum.com/minima-combi-unit.html

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Have you tried taking apart your hose filter connections, cleaning and reassembly with silicone glue?
      I thought about that and asked here, before and someone kindda stop me from doing it. But the leaks is from the tubbing connections thou, if I put the silicone glue on it I cannot pull it out when I need to clean the container.

I think I have enough room, not sure thou it's a small corner next to the pond. I thought about doing the DIY filter but not the 50gal version, as I mention in the first post my DW put a stump to it (kindda). But if I reason with her I might be able to get it done. (Maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by tbullard View Post
      I like the Matala BioStep 10 for the money. https://www.amazon.com/Biosteps-10-E...-garden&sr=1-2
      Thanks, looking at the ratings and the comments on this Matala BioStep 10. I don't know for $198.95. I rather spends a few more $$$ and go for Laguna which cost a little more and has the backwash built-in and also has UV too.
      Regards,
      Sunny

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldDragon View Post

Thanks, looking at the ratings and the comments on this Matala BioStep 10. I don't know for $198.95. I rather spends a few more $$$ and go for Laguna which cost a little more and has the backwash built-in and also has UV too.
      Even though you have to pull them out to clean its going to be much easier to get the Matala clean than the foam pads in the OASE filter. I use one for my QT tank and usually only clean the first 2 sets of pads and leave the last to not disturb the bio. Personally I would go with a separate external UV but there is a UV available for the BioSteps filter https://www.amazon.com/Biosteps-Prog...-garden&sr=1-1
      Last edited by tbullard; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:58 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by tbullard View Post
      Even though you have to pull them out to clean its going to be much easier to get the Matala clean than the foam pads in the OASE filter. I use one for my QT tank and usually only clean the first 2 sets of pads and leave the last to not disturb the bio. Personally I would go with a separate external UV but there is a UV available for the BioSteps filter https://www.amazon.com/Biosteps-Prog...-garden&sr=1-1
      I think I might just ended up doing my own DIY filter after all, I just check last night and the corner fit the 50 gallons drum I had. I also checked for leaks on the drum to makes sure it is OK.

But I am not sure if I wants to do the SG Filter. I seems to like the one with K1/K2 media better with the water flows.
      Regards,
      Sunny

Nuspeed007 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldDragon View Post
      I think I might just ended up doing my own DIY filter after all, I just check last night and the corner fit the 50 gallons drum I had. I also checked for leaks on the drum to makes sure it is OK.

But I am not sure if I wants to do the SG Filter. I seems to like the one with K1/K2 media better with the water flows.
      Sunny,
      Your up flow filter with K1/K2 bio media is a MBBR with an addition of a 40 lpm air pump. If you use the blue drum then you need 4-6 CF of K1/K2 and you can pump/flow 2-4K GPH. 2-3K flow rate is straight forward and reliable, 3-4K flow rate is exotic - search/ask Jose Cardona (jcardona1).

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Nuspeed007 View Post
      Sunny,
      Your up flow filter with K1/K2 bio media is a MBBR with an addition of a 40 lpm air pump. If you use the blue drum then you need 4-6 CF of K1/K2 and you can pump/flow 2-4K GPH. 2-3K flow rate is straight forward and reliable, 3-4K flow rate is exotic - search/ask Jose Cardona (jcardona1).
      Ooohhh! Thanks for the Info Nu. That's what I am looking for. Especially 3-4K flow rate, even though it will be an overkilled for my pond. But I'll take that as a projection of future expansion (dream for more Koi) . I will search/ask Jose Cardona (jcardona1) for it.
      Regards,
      Sunny

Nuspeed007 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Jose has a very clear tutorial for his drum MBBR 4K flow, check it out. How big is the pond volume, 1.5k?, 2X turn over rate is very generous and Periha PB-16000 is ideal for the drum flow.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Looking for it as we speak. Searching.... And also post and asking him for help on one of his forum topic that he built his pond on.
      Regards,
      Sunny