• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get the Koi to come to you for feeding?

secuono is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldDragon View Post
      WOW! Today is the first day since never that my Koi started coming up to the surface and close to me for feeding. They seems to be less scared than before.

BTW, their condition has change a little bit. I have replaced the Total Pond Filter with my new DIY BIO Filter the other day. They seems to be more happier than before too. More active and swimming around more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you reuse the media from the old filter?
      If not, your pond will go through another cycling process.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by secuono View Post
      Did you reuse the media from the old filter?
      If not, your pond will go through another cycling process.
      Nope, I can’t they are all different media altogether. This one used big pads. The other used media balls. But I do have media balls on the other section of my pond that covered it. I didn’t remove that. I know it will go through another cycling process.

-=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

k01fishfam is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

try to be as low and slow as possible so they don't mistake you for a predator. even with mine being trained if i walk by too quickly it will spook them, im all oh sorry everyone! ::slowly walks::
      after you feed them, stay nearby so they start to know it's coming from you. they might not stay around right off bat but a little patience will go wonders! do this regularly when you feed them. also make sure you have a "designated" feeding spot for training if you want to because it will help them learn more too. for more training purposes, you can also hold off on feeding for a day or two and then they will be EXTRA hungry and friendly.

find a treat they REALLY like! Shrimp?! Maybe you can observe from a distance after trying a few unless you know of one already they enjoy and feed them that but only at special times so they dont start to expect it but rather get excited when its given to them. you want them excited but not spoiled and to associate the tasty treats coming from their human friend (you!)

once they start to warm up you can place your hand in the water with food in it that wont come out easily when under water and see if they come up to you. no fast movements except maybe slowly putting out a finger from the same hand your offering the food. sometimes they will nudge you or check you out or let you pet them if you're very very mellow! have some other food floating around nearby too. this can take time (sometimes I've been out there with them for a couple hours). but everything is working towards bonding with them so as long as you consistently do things like this, they should warm up! also as another member commented, the largest one is usually the leader so if you can have that one warm up to you the others will follow!

i know its funny but i play music for my koi too (calming vibes) and they really enjoy it! I also have a bell I try and ring with feeding them , but have found they do recognize your face over time

being that they are so curious too, i will add new "gifts" for them and usually do the feeding after. Things like a new koi cave, a cool rock, plant (but be very slow when placing them in too!) they always swim to check it out and look all excited! try and have them associate you with as many good things as they like (food, happy home, calming energy, etc)

in no time you'll be hand feeding them with a golden spoon you just wait and see !

i know this post was from a little bit ago but i hope that info helps ! It excites me when people wanna bond with their koi like this. It's really incredible! I play hand games with mine in the water and they follow my movements / do loving nudges. My largest hariwake likes to have "fish massages" on his head and body!

Also wanted to check in on how your koi were doing? Did everything turn out okay for them with the jumping? Hope all is good and that there are happy healthy koi!
      Last edited by k01fishfam; 05-30-2021 at 10:34 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

This is getting more fun for me, remember that I said that they started to come to me but not to the top of the water for feeding. New development for my Koi, they all started to lineup in front of me every time I stand in front of the pond now, and stay at attention waiting for food. Just like a military roll call. LOL! I am loving it. Don’t matter if they don’t come up, I like what I am seeing.

-=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

jiawei468 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

In China some of the experienced koi keepr will have a big Chagoi in the pond as the leader of the group.

It can really change the personality of the herd.

If the leader is skittish, the herd behaves so.
      If the leader is welcoming human, the herd follows

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by jiawei468 View Post
      In China some of the experienced koi keepr will have a big Chagoi in the pond as the leader of the group.

It can really change the personality of the herd.

If the leader is skittish, the herd behaves so.
      If the leader is welcoming human, the herd follows
      Agreed with you on that for sure.

Yesterday, in my DW's Lily Pond we have brought home a whole bunches of goldfishes to put in, and the old goldfishes that we had that always hides starts coming out and follows everyone. Because the biggest one in the group now is not afraid and swim around very proud.
      -=[Sunny]=-

mucky1957 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Unless I haven't seen all the comments in this post I think saying that you have been 'slammed' is a bit strong. I didn't feel the responses were nasty/shaming/insensitive...they were just answers to your questions/queries.
      If a fish jumps it could be that there was a fly/insect on or near the surface which the fish wanted to catch BUT..if it is jumping each day then there would seem to be a problem and the fish in question needs a scrape doing.
      If you don't do scrapes yourself ( and I don't..but I have a man who can and does ) then try to find someone local who could come and test your water and scrape a few fish as well.
      I had exactly this happen about a month ago and a course of FMG sorted out the issue.
      Regarding feeding time..I keep my pellets in a plastic container and whenever I get close to the pond I give the container a good shake and they 'hear' the sound and up they come.
      Hope you get the issue sorted.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by mucky1957 View Post
      Unless I haven't seen all the comments in this post I think saying that you have been 'slammed' is a bit strong. I didn't feel the responses were nasty/shaming/insensitive...they were just answers to your questions/queries.
      That subject has been deal with and closed. No need to reopened it. Just let it be...

If a fish jumps it could be that there was a fly/insect on or near the surface which the fish wanted to catch BUT..if it is jumping each day then there would seem to be a problem and the fish in question needs a scrape doing.
      If you don't do scrapes yourself ( and I don't..but I have a man who can and does ) then try to find someone local who could come and test your water and scrape a few fish as well.
      I had exactly this happen about a month ago and a course of FMG sorted out the issue.
      The fish didn't jump everyday, just once in a while I see one of them jump.

Regarding feeding time..I keep my pellets in a plastic container and whenever I get close to the pond I give the container a good shake and they 'hear' the sound and up they come.
      Hope you get the issue sorted.
      That's cool... Still work-in-progress for mine....
      -=[Sunny]=-

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sunny I have to say something, you replaced the filter not to long ago and didn't introduce any of the beneficial bacteria from the old filter to the new one and your pond just went thru some issues now you have another issue in your hand's and apparently you're not aware of how bad it can be. Just my two cents here stop feeding those koi and do a 10% water change every other day or minimum every two days for atleast two week's your ammonia is fixing to go thru the roof I don't think you have enough beneficial bacteria in your pond water to get the new filter going at the moment.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      Sunny I have to say something, you replaced the filter not to long ago and didn't introduce any of the beneficial bacteria from the old filter to the new one and your pond just went thru some issues now you have another issue in your hand's and apparently you're not aware of how bad it can be. Just my two cents here stop feeding those koi and do a 10% water change every other day or minimum every two days for atleast two week's your ammonia is fixing to go thru the roof I don't think you have enough beneficial bacteria in your pond water to get the new filter going at the moment.
      I have not been feeding them at all for the last two days. And I am doing WC every other day like you said. The rest of the Koi are doing ok as far as I can see. Ammonia has gone down so does nitrite too. I just check about an hour ago.

-=[Sunny]=-

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12