• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Move comets from indoor aquarium to pond?

jjeff123 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Move comets from indoor aquarium to pond?

We have a pond with a couple koi and some comets. A couple years ago, we ended up with 2 baby fish, comets, and took them indoor to an aquarium. The 55 gallon aquarium now has the 2 comets, a fancy goldfish and a pleco, all of which are 5" long or so (not including tail). I feel like this is too much fish for the aquarium, so I want to put the comets back into the pond. The fish also appear bored. The comets tend to sleep facing straight up or down, and don't swim too much. Yes, I do water changes.

I'd wait until the pond temperature is roughly the same as the indoor aquarium, and do gradual water change like when you buy a new fish.

We're in upstate NY, I don't know if comets get used to living in warm water year round and putting them outdoors will kill them in winter.

Thoughts?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by jjeff123 View Post
      We have a pond with a couple koi and some comets. A couple years ago, we ended up with 2 baby fish, comets, and took them indoor to an aquarium. The 55 gallon aquarium now has the 2 comets, a fancy goldfish and a pleco, all of which are 5" long or so (not including tail). I feel like this is too much fish for the aquarium, so I want to put the comets back into the pond. The fish also appear bored. The comets tend to sleep facing straight up or down, and don't swim too much. Yes, I do water changes.

I'd wait until the pond temperature is roughly the same as the indoor aquarium, and do gradual water change like when you buy a new fish.

We're in upstate NY, I don't know if comets get used to living in warm water year round and putting them outdoors will kill them in winter.

Thoughts?
      As long as you wait until your pond water is warmed up you should be just fine. Going from warm water to cooler water is harder on the fish than going from cooler water to warmer water.
      By the time your pond starts to cool down this fall your fish will be acclimated to the changing temps and should do just fine in the winter.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Goldfish including comets are really hardy. Most of my koi died through the winter 2018/2019 (here winter lasts 7 months, and to make things worse I had not cleaned out the debris before that winter), but almost none of the goldfish died (had not counted them closely but the number has been similar before and after that winter).
      Last edited by SimonW; 04-17-2021 at 06:51 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007