• Tired

Thread: Does all small karashigoi have red shade on their tail>

NaturalK is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Does all small karashigoi have red shade on their tail>

Hi,

I've been looking for karashi for a while and I've seen tosai from Saito/Konishi with red hue in the bottom of their tail when they are small. However, when I look at Marusei's, I don't see that. I'm wondering are Marusei's still karashigoi? or is it just a kigoi or benigoi?

Also, there are a lot of red karashigoi floating around from Marusei. How can you tell the difference between that and benigoi? Does Benigoi have a red belly too?
      Thanks
      Last edited by NaturalK; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:59 AM.

MikeM is offline Super Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Not all small Karashigoi from Konishi have red along the lower edge of the caudal fin. It is not uncommon, but not a trait by which the breeder can be identified.

I have seen some photos of the so-called 'Red Karashigoi'. Some seem more 'dark orange' to my eye. A few do seem to be red. Other than the labels on the photos, I know nothing about the fish.... how they were developed, etc. It is a subject I would like to learn much more about.

NaturalK is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Okay, so is it safe to say Karashi is yellow belly and kigoi is white?

MikeM is offline Super Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

To an extent. Even Karashi have lighter color on the belly.

Keep in mind that Kigoi fall into two very different categories. There are Kigoi with normal eye color. These tend to be yellowish like an old-fashioned Ki Showa. That is, the yellow is not very pure or bright (usually). The Akame Kigoi, on the other hand, is yellow due to a form of albinism. The yellow is not due to a genetic mix producing yellow color, but due to albinism eliminating other pigment. The reason this is important is that the Akame Kigoi can have all sorts of underlying genetics... Matsukawabake, Hajiro, etc., but the phenotype is Kigoi due to albinism. Five Akame Kigoi in a tank could each have very different underlying genetics, but all look very much alike. (Of course, breeding for Akame Kigoi has meant a narrowing of the gene pool represented in particular breeders' parent stock.)

Some will argue that Akame Karashigoi are by definition Akame Kigoi. However, the ones coming out of Konishi's stock are derived from Karashi and thus are more likely to have the body form of Karashi. .....There can be poor body form in all of these yellow koi. The chances of better form seems higher with Karashi. So, when acquiring young fish whose body form as an adult is not readily predicted, it is something to have in mind.