• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help plz - New asagi has nasty spot - What to do about this ?

headman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Rich8888ri View Post
      I had a koi with a large infection (i tried the iodine and triside neo first but it was past that). It actually ate through the skin and i could see into the koi. It was on deaths door but i saved it with 6% salt and oxolinic baths. Once per day for 1 hour. By the 3rd bath the hole closed up by the 6th she was healed. However you need to scrape the fish and put under a microscope to see if any parasites.. You need to treat the cause or it will never heal.
      Where can I get oxolinic?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My friend has some expired Baytril. Were going over to pick it up... does anyone know if I mix half with purified water? I seen a chart somewhere that said for a 10” fish it’s 0.3ml. Every other day for 5 days. Is this accurate?

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by headman View Post
      Where can I get oxolinic?
      http://www.cascade-pond-supply.com/O...id-p-1150.html
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by headman View Post
      My friend has some expired Baytril. Were going over to pick it up... does anyone know if I mix half with purified water? I seen a chart somewhere that said for a 10” fish it’s 0.3ml. Every other day for 5 days. Is this accurate?
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...-Health-Sticky

Go to part 18 and 19.

Inject once a day for 3 consecutive days, then skip a day and do the 4th injection, then skip another
      day and then do the 5th injection.
      When using the chart be sure you have the 5% concentration of Baytril or adjust the dosage. It comes
      in several different concentrations.
      --Steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...-Health-Sticky

Go to part 18 and 19.

Inject once a day for 3 consecutive days, then skip a day and do the 4th injection, then skip another
      day and then do the 5th injection.
      When using the chart be sure you have the 5% concentration of Baytril or adjust the dosage. It comes
      in several different concentrations.
      So I gave her .5 ml of the 2.27% Baytril and added about 3 ml of water. She had a hard time being sedated (14 drops in a gallon of clove) but as soon as she did we gave her the shot about 1/3 back from her bottom fins. We then put iodine on the injection site ...rinsed and back in QT. She is now struggling to wake up fully... her face is at the surface... not mouth. I just think she is super weak and stressed.
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Last edited by headman; 04-10-2021 at 12:21 PM.

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Just curious... how far outdated was the Baytril?
      --Steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Just curious... how far outdated was the Baytril?
      Thank you so much... we appreciate all the help everyone has given This particular fish was a gift for my wife ... She has always wanted an Asagi..... the Baytril expired in 2017. I read it stays good for up to a decade... I hope it does. Does it need refrigerated or just at room temp?
      Last edited by headman; 04-10-2021 at 01:11 PM.

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

--Steve

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Please note, the percentage salt above should read 0.6% (5 pounds per 100 gallons) not 6.0% which would desicate the fish rapidly. The fishes blood, like your own, is 0.9% salinity, and getting the salinity closer to that value will help the kidneys remove water from the fish, as less water will enter through the wound. I really don't see the wound being big enough to cause this form of dropsy. The use of oxolinic acid may be helpful. I have found Tricide Neo to be effective as a single application of the powder to the wound using a Q-Tip and some of the fishes slime coat, or mixing per directions 1/4 of the 1 gallon size packet with distilled water and putting it in a spray bottle and spraying the fish to keep it wetted for the duration specified on the packet, three times. Either method requires sedation to keep the fish from hurting itself by thrashing around or jumping out of your hands onto the ground.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We gave her the second shot (.6 baytiril and .4 sterile water) .... we put her in a shallow bowl and guided her to the corner then covered her face. I injected the solution next to her dorsal fin with the needle angled towards her head.... she moved around some but we got it all in... then rubbed the area of the injection. I picked he up and added her right back into the QT. In seconds she was acting strange. Swimming as she couldn’t see ... then she just went down hill. She started swimming sideways and her breathing slowed and then stopped.

Thank you all for the help ... we appreciate it

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Rich8888ri is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oakdale new york (Suffolk County long Island)
      Im so sorry. Thats a shame. I don't know how to inject a koi (i would love to learn) but when they injected my koi it was from the bottom of the koi not the top. Not sure if the injection site is the cause of the problem or the amount injected.
      Either way thank you for keeping us up to date. Its a learning experience.

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

My preferred method of performing injections was to sedate the fish, roll it over on its back, raise on of the ventral/pelvic fins and look for the spot that has no scales or bone and inject through that spot aiming the needle toward the head. This puts the medicine in the body cavity without damage to any of the internal organs, and not pulling any scales when the needle is removed. I know that some have given the meds intra-muscular, but I have never seen it done and as such would never try it myself.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Last edited by kdh; 04-11-2021 at 08:54 PM.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Last edited by kdh; 04-11-2021 at 08:53 PM.

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry for that!

I wonder if rinsing away the iodine after having treated the fish was a good idea. I usually keep the wound out of water with iodine on it as long as possible, at least 1 min, meanwhile I keep the fish´s mouth under water so it can breath.

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

I don't know if you recall my comment earlier in the thread but I recommended giving time for the Tricide Neo to work (at least a week). After it kills the infection, new skin starts to grow. If you re-treat (ie iodine), it can kill off the very tender new skin that is forming.

My guess is that the iodine wasn't the catalyst that killed the koi. The Baytril was very, very old. My experience (and also the feedback from my vet) is that it is good for a year and then should be disposed of. It degrades quickly in light (ergo, why it's in a dark brown bottle) and any air that get into it can also cause degradation. I have injected dozens of koi over the year w/ Baytril and have always used it intraperitoneal vs intramuscular. I've never had an issue b/c there is a decently wide margin of error in ensuring no vital organs are punctured.

It could be that the fish was weak and unable to pull back out of sedation. (If it was sedated...I couldn't quite find clarification). If no sedation, my guess is that something vital was hit.

Not really a clear point to this post, more of just sharing my experience in case it's helpful.
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ademink View Post
      I don't know if you recall my comment earlier in the thread but I recommended giving time for the Tricide Neo to work (at least a week). After it kills the infection, new skin starts to grow. If you re-treat (ie iodine), it can kill off the very tender new skin that is forming.

My guess is that the iodine wasn't the catalyst that killed the koi. The Baytril was very, very old. My experience (and also the feedback from my vet) is that it is good for a year and then should be disposed of. It degrades quickly in light (ergo, why it's in a dark brown bottle) and any air that get into it can also cause degradation. I have injected dozens of koi over the year w/ Baytril and have always used it intraperitoneal vs intramuscular. I've never had an issue b/c there is a decently wide margin of error in ensuring no vital organs are punctured.

It could be that the fish was weak and unable to pull back out of sedation. (If it was sedated...I couldn't quite find clarification). If no sedation, my guess is that something vital was hit.

Not really a clear point to this post, more of just sharing my experience in case it's helpful.
      Thanks for the help ... We didn’t retreat the wound with iodine.. just the injection area. I think the infection was bad by the time we gave her the old antibiotics. I did Google how long they last and it said something about a decade but who know in what ideal state they were stored. I wish I had some fresh Baytril just in case this happens again with another koi. Thank you again for the help ... my wife and I really appreciate it

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12