• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Can I keep fantails in a 37 gallon planter happily?

Hop-frog is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can I keep fantails in a 37 gallon planter happily?

I moved my quarantine fish into my 20k pond, but found all of the fish are now picking on the fantails. One fish in particular was being pushed around like a soccer ball, they literally pushed it with their noses till it bounced around, every which way, including upside-down.

I moved the fantails back into the indoor quarantine tank, but I'd really like a more permanent habitat for them, as I don't feel its very humane to keep fish in a small tank and also like to see them swimming more. Within the pond, the fish zip around, but in a tank, they just bob about and bump into the glass, which I assume isn't a happy life.

I already intended to buy several small half-barrel ponds around the house, with their own little fountains, filtration, and plants. Each is 37 gallons.

Would these fantails likely be happier if given their own 37-gallon planter? Or better to place them in pairs, sharing the 37 gallons between 2 or 3 fantails, though they'll be more cramped?

Now they are only 2" fish, but I know they can grow quite large.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

You should have kept the fantails in there. It's what we call picking order. (Or what I call "Who's the boss?") Once that's done it will stop. It happens every time you introduced a new member or members into the family. And typically the biggest fish always win and became the Alpha. He/she will be the first to get the food when you feed them (typically), and the rest will follows. I see that with my Koi in the pond and Goldfishes in the tank.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Give some thought that your 37 gal. tubs will heat up fast in the summer. Goldfish do not do well in very warm weather.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

More about big fish thinking little fish with diminished swimming ability as a possible dinner selection.

37 gallons outside is small. The small stock tanks make nice outdoor displays with goldfish.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by batman; 04-01-2021 at 08:17 AM.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

sometimes even small they could be stunted and the change in water caused them too spawn and when goldfish spawn they push the females all over the place and even sometimes kill her and can push her out of the water. Put netting over them so the birds and snakes can get in too them they love fancy goldfish
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

Hop-frog is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Okay, I've returned the fancy goldfish to the big pond, but put a temporarily wall of flower pots up, so they seem to have a safe area. Though I do have two really large goldfish, the fish I observed attacking the fancy goldfish were even smaller than the fancy goldfish! These were some small common goldfish attacking it. I'll see how well this works, the pond is new, waiting on delivery of plants that will create more shelters. Will think about moving them to one of those 180 gallon basins though.

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Hop-frog View Post
      Okay, I've returned the fancy goldfish to the big pond, but put a temporarily wall of flower pots up, so they seem to have a safe area. Though I do have two really large goldfish, the fish I observed attacking the fancy goldfish were even smaller than the fancy goldfish! These were some small common goldfish attacking it. I'll see how well this works, the pond is new, waiting on delivery of plants that will create more shelters. Will think about moving them to one of those 180 gallon basins though.
      That size would be fine for your fancy fish.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007