• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: How to get fish to come out more?

Hop-frog is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How to get fish to come out more?

I just released my fish from their tiny quarantine tanks into their pond.

The problem I'm finding is, the pond is a 42 ft circle, so the fish are hard to see. If I am on one side, they quickly swim out of sight.

When they were in the quarantine tanks, they would watch for me coming, and beg for food. Now, they just run and hide. When I go to feed, they are more than 20 ft away, so probably can't see me throwing in the food. They wait until I'm gone and the food sinks or disperses across the whole pond. I think I could keep throwing in food daily, but if they're not seeing me throw in food, will never return to the habit of seeking me out looking for food.

How can I get these fish to identify I'm their source of food, so they'll come out more?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

New environment to them and they are scare, give them, time to get used to it. If the Pond seems to be safe for them and they feels safe, they will come up once they are comfortable. But if there is/are something that keeps them scare, they will stay like that. Same things happens to my Koi that I moved from my fish tank to my pond. They hide all the time now because they do not feel safe in their environment.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

Nuspeed007 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There is an upside for those shy fishes, they are less likely taken by predators. However GF are top swimmer, love sun and procrastinating to evade danger... I hope that the pond is secured and netted.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm told by an co-worker, who is a former professional ornithologist, we don't have many predatory birds in the area, so no haven't put up any nets, but will research if there are something else can put up to scare fish. And working on getting water lily planted to provide hiding places. Currently no hiding places available.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Hop-frog View Post
      I'm told by an co-worker, who is a former professional ornithologist, we don't have many predatory birds in the area, so no haven't put up any nets, but will research if there are something else can put up to scare fish. And working on getting water lily planted to provide hiding places. Currently no hiding places available.
      It didn't have to be birds, it could be squirrels or some other animals that comes by the pond to drink water.

Believe me when I tell you this, it's for real. I had a squirrel trying to attack me through my window and ended up falling into the pond below it. I had a square pond container 4' x 4' Lily Pond next to my window. One day, while I was sitting in my Sofa Chair. I heard a loud tuck and a splash, and I said what the heck. I ran outside to look and sure enough it was a squirrel all wet and scared after he bang against the glass and felt into the water.

Well he wasn't the only one who got scared, my Koi too.. They never came out again.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Racoons, cats, curious dogs... some just wants to play with your water creatures including the 2 legs version.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Nuspeed007 View Post
      Racoons, cats, curious dogs... some just wants to play with your water creatures including the 2 legs version.
      I wonder who's the 2 legs version is. **Pointing up at the OP**
      -=[Sunny]=-

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

@Hop-frog: is the GF comets or fancy goldfish?, comet is very hardy and much better swimmer. They adapt well to deep water and more independent, meaning they don't usually come for food. You can make a floatable feed ring, anchor to your favorite space. Hopefully they come to feed and you get to see a few. 42 ft circle pond a monster size for comet & koi, they will spawn every year so keep that in mind.
      @EmeraldDragon: I usual have to count my fancy GF stock after my friend visit, they show up un announce and quiet leave without saying nuthin' :-)

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There are a few fancy goldfish mixed in, but these seem to be fast swimmers that stay together with the school. Mostly comets, a couple sarasas, and just a few koi. I had to remove a the fancy goldfish, as they were being bullied by the other fish.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

@Nuspeed007: ahh I see...
      -=[Sunny]=-

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

TJeep is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Nuspeed007 View Post
      @Hop-frog: is the GF comets or fancy goldfish?, comet is very hardy and much better swimmer. They adapt well to deep water and more independent, meaning they don't usually come for food. You can make a floatable feed ring, anchor to your favorite space. Hopefully they come to feed and you get to see a few. 42 ft circle pond a monster size for comet & koi, they will spawn every year so keep that in mind.
      @EmeraldDragon: I usual have to count my fancy GF stock after my friend visit, they show up un announce and quiet leave without saying nuthin' :-)
      I have comets and they absolutely swim over for food. It's to the point that I can't go near the pond w/o them following me around mouthing the water "asking" for fish kibble. They didn't do that at first though. I would only put a small amount of food right next to where I was standing. If they didn't come out and get it I scooped it up and tossed it. Eventually they figured out that if they wanted kibble they had to swim over for it. Once one or two figured it out the rest of the pack followed in fear they were missing out.

As far as the hiding goldfish I had one hide for 4 months. I legit thought he had died and then spotting him one day. My point is it may take as long as several months, but eventually they do get comfortable and come out to swim around. They rarely hide now.

Unfortunately it just takes time... sometimes a lot. Good luck!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007