• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Sprouting Lotus Seeds - Should I add any fertilizer to the water?

KoiNC is offline Senior Member
      is Singing Old Kentucky Home

Feeling:
      ----

Sprouting Lotus Seeds - Should I add any fertilizer to the water?

Hi all, I am sprouting 20 Lotus seeds I got online from Sri Lanka. I did the whole grinder wheel buffing etc. and after only 3 days they are starting to kick out green shoots! I *assume* the simple pond water and the seed itself has all the fertilizer they need for now, but wanted to see if anyone has given them a kickstart with a water fertilizer or has any other tips/tricks?

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: The above "no" is because any fish in the pond end up providing nitrate already. If you have no fish, adding fertilizer will work, but will likely cause the water to go green.

matherfish is offline Senior Member
      is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

I usually wait until they are sprouted and planted before fertilizing. You do not want the fertilizer too close to the new roots as it will burn them up. Aa Kimini said, adding liquid fertilizer when newly sprouted will only add nutrients to the water causing an algae problem and may also burn the new plant. They get nutrients from the seed so they do not need any fertilizer for a few weeks.
      Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
      See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen

TN Department of Agriculture Inspected and Certified
      for over 15 years!

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      ― Zig Ziglar

CraigP is online now Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Essentially I agree with the first responses....assuming you are sprouting in water and not a substrate, fertilizer is superfluous. Evolution has provided that seed contain the appropriate amount of endosperm to sustain initial growth. Once you see the start of root production, i'd plant it in a sand/soil medium and at that point add a time released fertilizer that will supplement growth until the seedling floats its first "coin" leaves and begins photosynthesis. A good time released feed will get the lotus thru much of the season and eliminate the possible root damage from jamming tabs in later. I use a 180 day formulation that would get most people thru a season. Truth be told....it is the same fertilizer used to grow food on the ISS. < g >
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you all, much appreciated. I will refrain from any fertilizers for now then until I plant them, and will toss a tab under each in the soil when I do.

These seeds are being grown to put in my 5 acre pond out front of my property. I'll plant them in one of the inlets. So right now, I a growing them in water in glasses in my window because it's still too cold out there and I don't want the native fish to mess with them too early. Sadly, no Koi in that pond because with 2x Herons visiting per day (sometimes more!) bright colored koi don't stand a chance like the camouflaged bass, bluegill, sunnies, etc. Not a lot of cover for the native fish right now so I bet they'll appreciate some lotus shade!

Feeling:
      Amused

That's a nice sized pond. From experience with lotus in my farm pond....which is only maybe a quarter acre.....the fish are not the problem for lotus, it is the turtles. I planted some edible tuber lotus and some edible seed lotus a friend sent my and the first season they thrived. I felt the aquatic weeds were choking the pond so over the winter cleaned out a bunch of vegetation. This year the turtles got the pad as soon as it floated; only know that more vegetation has grown back are the pads surviving, but not a one has gone from coin to aerial yet.
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

Feeling:
      ----

Well that is concerning Craig because I have an insane amount of turtles in this pond. Up here they are mud turtles and painted, not sure what you have. I sure hope I'm not growing these little babies to be eaten... they are doing so good on day 6. I guess I'll hold a few back to keep in pots just in case.

Name:  IMG_6674.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  82.9 KB

Feeling:
      Amused

I wish you luck. My lotus coin pads are disappearing as soon as they hit the surface. I was able to relocate one of my nemeses today....a large female Florida cooter ( Pseudemys floridana ) weighing in at nearly ten pounds. I relocated her to a slough that feeds the local creek. Mud turtles are more carnivorous, they shouldn't be a problem for you.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Craig

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by KoiNC View Post
      Name:  IMG_6674.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  82.9 KB
      I wishes I could get my hand with some of those. Especially Thai Lotus one they are so hard to find locally, at least close by my house. Everything so far away, and I want to surprise my DW. Anything that is a distance driving to go get, she'll be right there beside me, so forget about being surprise.
      -=[Sunny]=-

I have served, I have fought to defends the rights and freedom for all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!