• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: New member with 3 ponds to restore

JSLee is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

New member with 3 ponds to restore

Hi everyone, I've bought a house with 3 neglected ponds. This is the largest (about 1000 gal.) and I'm hoping get some sound advice. I've drained the pond and am in the process of a thorough cleaning, repair as needed, and new filtration system.
      This house was built in the early 1990's, so the pond is no older than that.

It has a liner with stone and mortar on top. 12' x 8' x 2'(on the deep end)
      There is no bottom drain. This pond has a simple submerged filter box with a pump to a waterfall. I believe that the pipe running upwards from the ball valve goes to a venturi. I'm hoping to get a better filter box where the filter medium and pump are in separate compartments. I think it will have to be a submersible type like was used originally. Should I consider a retrofit suction drain on the bottom? (still learning about all the plumbing aspects of ponds).

I've discovered some settling of the stonework on the deep side of the pond, and I've placed flags in the crevice to illustrate. The coping has cracked where the wooden posts are on the left the the fracture continues across to the other side. Should I fill this crack with cement (or mortar, or hydraulic cement?) or leave it be? I have experience with pointing mortar, so it would be simple. The pond holds water so I don't believe there are any leaks, this is the only problem area I've found. I assume that water gets between the liner and the stone and mortar. It may continue to settle anyway, but just wondering if as part of my repairs what to do, if anything, while it is drained.

Otherwise I'm going to fill it once I get it clean, and decide on what type of pump and filter. Then onto the possibility of fish.

Thanks!
      Attached Images Attached Images      

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Nuspeed007 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My 2 cents, I dry pack all the crevices with recommended local mortar, wet set cure for 2 weeks then concrete foam over those area. The reason for dry packing mortar because you need to ultrasonicate the wet concrete/mortar to settle all the way. What is your budget for pump and filter? since there is no water fall I would think a mid size DC pump 2-3kpgh should do the job. That pump can be submersible and/or above water line. Because the bottom is rocky, that BD efficient will be very limited. I use to make a tethering pickup out of 2" pvc-->check valve-->priming box/strainer-->pump, that way you can move the pick up to where the detritus collected. Filter methodology is like cars, sand & gravel, MBBR, Bakki shower, hybrid.... Other will give you advise & trade off.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by JSLee View Post
      Hi everyone, I've bought a house with 3 neglected ponds. This is the largest (about 1000 gal.) and I'm hoping get some sound advice. I've drained the pond and am in the process of a thorough cleaning, repair as needed, and new filtration system.
      Welcome and thanks for joining Koiphen!

They're great little ponds! If you're not after whole retrofits of size and filtration and just want to enjoy
      them as they are but a little cleaner and healthier... and if you do decide on fish, I'd stick with goldfish as they
      take a lot less maintenance and are hardier.
      With smaller fish an actual BD (retro or in ground) to pump can spell disaster and might be more trouble than
      it's worth. If doing an in pond pump be sure to plan to make it easily accessible to clean and maintain. And like
      Nuspeed said, a sand and gravel filter makes a great single filter for smallish pond.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...-Gravel-Filter

Good luck with the projects and enjoy the forum!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Welcome to Koiphen JSLee. Hope you post pics of your pond re -do. Beautiful area of North Carolina.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007