• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What koi variety are you breeding this spring?

SimonW is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Every home-breeder wants to select the best and throw out the less good, but that requires skills. In reality we throw away the few best along with the less good because we dont know that they are the best, and what we keep are the so-so ones that happen to look nice when they are young!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There are several factors in play here in order to select the best ones when small koi are being selected let's say 3" or about there. First you have to use established varieties ie; kohaku, shiro Utsuri, Goshiki. This first point will lead you to be able to learn what the better ones look like when small I just used those three varieties as examples. Second you must stay away from flock spawnings altogether because you will never have constant results. Third you will get better with every attempt at culling young koi, experience will become your book, notes and taking pictures will help immensely in other words anyone that doing this for the first time without any help will probably not make the best choice's. If I was to take a guess I would use the no. 3 as a rule let me explain you need to breed the same koi atleast 3 times in order see the results as Tosai, Nisai and Sansai in order to determine what are the choice's that the person is selecting are developing into now you will also run into this scenario, all the fry from one group of koi are all no good two things you could do here are; breed that female with different male's next spawning season or scrap that group all together and start with a different group if you only have one good female to work with well I've already said change male and only stick with one male because that will give you the best or more constant results to narrow down your decision making during the culling process. This subject could be discussed to death because every variety has different developing stages and different growth rates, I've been breeding fish for almost 50 years and every year I learn something new I think I should add only been messing around with koi seriously since 2011 so IMO am just learning how to walk as far as koi are concerned, hope some of this information helps.

anguyen is offline Member
      is midorikoi

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      There are several factors in play here in order to select the best ones when small koi are being selected let's say 3" or about there. First you have to use established varieties ie; kohaku, shiro Utsuri, Goshiki. This first point will lead you to be able to learn what the better ones look like when small I just used those three varieties as examples. Second you must stay away from flock spawnings altogether because you will never have constant results. Third you will get better with every attempt at culling young koi, experience will become your book, notes and taking pictures will help immensely in other words anyone that doing this for the first time without any help will probably not make the best choice's. If I was to take a guess I would use the no. 3 as a rule let me explain you need to breed the same koi atleast 3 times in order see the results as Tosai, Nisai and Sansai in order to determine what are the choice's that the person is selecting are developing into now you will also run into this scenario, all the fry from one group of koi are all no good two things you could do here are; breed that female with different male's next spawning season or scrap that group all together and start with a different group if you only have one good female to work with well I've already said change male and only stick with one male because that will give you the best or more constant results to narrow down your decision making during the culling process. This subject could be discussed to death because every variety has different developing stages and different growth rates, I've been breeding fish for almost 50 years and every year I learn something new I think I should add only been messing around with koi seriously since 2011 so IMO am just learning how to walk as far as koi are concerned, hope some of this information helps.
      Orlando, thanks for advice. I will try to breed every year to gain experience and I also keep some fries to check the process and comparison. I stay with breeding dainichi showa until I have a good fries or pairs of my own.
      I just bought this male dainichi to solve my problem of only one male.

Name:  male koi.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  63.0 KB

spkennyva is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Congrats on finding an additional male. He will be an interesting one to watch develop. Please keep us posted on how your breeding efforts progress.

is midorikoi

Feeling:
      ----

My Sakai kohaku just spawned today. I tried my wanted to spawn showa twice in late april and Mid May, but it didn't spawn. I tried another showa pairs and it spawned, but water quality was so bad that caused my entire fries died. My next option is to spawn my sakai kohaku with a beppu male kohaku.

Name:  20210523_184332.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  50.3 KB
      Name:  20210525_095412.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  233.4 KB

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Can't wait to see the results of that!

SimonW is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I will breed ginrin sanke. My objective is to get fry with good ginrin and boday confirmation, may it be sanke, kohaku, bekko or pure snow-white.

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by anguyen View Post
      My Sakai kohaku just spawned today. I tried my wanted to spawn showa twice in late april and Mid May, but it didn't spawn. I tried another showa pairs and it spawned, but water quality was so bad that caused my entire fries died. My next option is to spawn my sakai kohaku with a beppu male kohaku.

Name:  20210523_184332.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  50.3 KB
      Name:  20210525_095412.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  233.4 KB
      What are you planning on doing different water quality wise with the Kohaku spawn so you don't loose all the fry?

is midorikoi

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      What are you planning on doing different water quality wise with the Kohaku spawn so you don't loose all the fry?
      This time I ran filter to 4 days for so that ammonia not killing my fries. I saw fries swimming this morning 5.29.21. I stopped the filter so that it does not suck my fries in. I checked the filter and I didn't see any fries in the filter. I have zero ammonia and nirite, but I run into a high PH problem. My PH is currently at 9. I added some PH down, but it is not working.
      What is good suggestion for ph down? I have only has air filter now. I also add daphnia in the breeding pond. That would be food after fries use all their yolks.
      I also found out that I got 4 kohaku that I saved in my earlier showa breeding, I didn't think they would make it.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Congratulations on the successful spawning. So far so good.

I've always been a little worried about lowering PH too much with chemical additives. So about all I've ever done to lower PH is change out some water. If your tap water is around 8, maybe you can lower the tub PH from 9. Your tap water isn't 9, is it? Another option may be to change out tub water with water from your main pond.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

spkennyva is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It might be a good idea to continue to monitor ammonia for the next several days, particularly since you have stopped your filtration system. Newly born fry are very sensitive to water quality, as well as changes to their water. I've never had to deal with PH problems, so I have no advice other than go slow with any changes that you make.

The suggestion that Matt made in Post 30 is an excellent idea. If you can transfer in seasoned pond water and safely return it to the main pond that would be awesome.

Good luck!

is midorikoi

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      Congratulations on the successful spawning. So far so good.

I've always been a little worried about lowering PH too much with chemical additives. So about all I've ever done to lower PH is change out some water. If your tap water is around 8, maybe you can lower the tub PH from 9. Your tap water isn't 9, is it? Another option may be to change out tub water with water from your main pond.
      Water change from main pond is good idea. I have a stable 7 PH with the main pond. I will do 10% water change my main pond and let water recycle for an hour before using transfer the main pond water to fries pond.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

After my Kohaku/Sanke group did not spawn, I called in the B-Team which is spawning now: Hariwake, Beni Kikokuryu, and Kujaku

Details are in this thread: https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...u-Kujaku-spawn

is midorikoi

Feeling:
      ----

I don't know about the variety because they are not my favorites. Good luck to you.
      My fries is free swimming now. I may leave it for a couple days before I find out way to connect my fries pond to the main pond. I will use a small pump (about 100 gph) to pump water into fries pond and water will leave fries pond into main pond for filter. Hopefully there won't be a disease outbreak from this way of slow filter.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by anguyen View Post
      I don't know about the variety because they are not my favorites. Good luck to you.
      My fries is free swimming now. I may leave it for a couple days before I find out way to connect my fries pond to the main pond. I will use a small pump (about 100 gph) to pump water into fries pond and water will leave fries pond into main pond for filter. Hopefully there won't be a disease outbreak from this way of slow filter.
      Hopefully, you'll have a really good screen to keep many fry from getting washed into the big pond.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12